Significant Difficulty w/ Logic Games Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
weronikajanczuk

New

Significant Difficulty w/ Logic Games

Post by weronikajanczuk » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi, all! My dad unexpectedly passed away in November, and he always said I'd make an awesome lawyer--so I turned my attention this summer to law school applications, completely unaware that the LSAT has the logic games section on it, and what I was getting myself into. Every other section, I grasp fluently, but with the logic games, I fail miserably--my mind has a super hard time wrapping itself around the abstract nature of the puzzles, especially under time pressure. On some tests, I can get the first answer right, and the rest is chaos and sheer guessing.

Is there anyone out there who struggled the same way? What helped? I'm usually totally fluent with argumentation and deduction--it's the more mathematical, theoretically-abstract nature of the games that drives me nuts.

And is there any chance of getting into a T15 with low LSAT scores--given this section? I take in October.

My mom passed away during my freshman year of college, which put my entire undergrad at NYU into a tailspin; GPA there was 3.8.

Thanks!

Bashar al-Assad%

New

Re: Significant Difficulty w/ Logic Games

Post by Bashar al-Assad% » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:08 pm

Just practice

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 pm

weronikajanczuk wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:35 pm
Hi, all! My dad unexpectedly passed away in November, and he always said I'd make an awesome lawyer--so I turned my attention this summer to law school applications, completely unaware that the LSAT has the logic games section on it, and what I was getting myself into. Every other section, I grasp fluently, but with the logic games, I fail miserably--my mind has a super hard time wrapping itself around the abstract nature of the puzzles, especially under time pressure. On some tests, I can get the first answer right, and the rest is chaos and sheer guessing.

Is there anyone out there who struggled the same way? What helped? I'm usually totally fluent with argumentation and deduction--it's the more mathematical, theoretically-abstract nature of the games that drives me nuts.

And is there any chance of getting into a T15 with low LSAT scores--given this section? I take in October.

My mom passed away during my freshman year of college, which put my entire undergrad at NYU into a tailspin; GPA there was 3.8.

Thanks!
I personally recommend buying the Logic Games Bible (PowerScore). It separates analytical reasoning games into types and provides specific guidance on each.

Your background is unfortunate, and if you are struggling financially, you can buy older versions of these books, since logic games are the same as they were years prior. I wish you the best of luck.

natemorris

New

Post by natemorris » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:47 pm

weronikajanczuk wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Thanks!
Hi! Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your losses, and wish you the best of luck with your application. The good news is, logic games is usually the most "improvable" section. I tutor many people for the LSAT and usually for the people who start off with games as their hardest section, within a couple of weeks or so, it switches into their easiest section. The best thing to do is to be as cookie-cutter as possible - try to always have simple and clear methods for diagramming things out that you can easily replicate from one game to the next, so every game feels like something you've done before and you're always in your comfort zone. Make sure you diagram things out neatly and clearly and try to realize that there are really only a couple types of games that just keep repeating over and over again on different tests. Keep practicing and if you have any questions I'm happy to help :) best of luck!

texas1100

New

Post by texas1100 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Do them untimed until you figure them out. Redo old ones every day, without just memorizing the answers but training your brain to think through how to get to the answer. Diff iterations of the same stuff shows up most of the time

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”