Break into 170s from Upper 160s Advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TheNavigator

New

Break into 170s from Upper 160s Advice

Post by TheNavigator » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:46 pm

Does anyone have any tips or know of good resources for breaking into the 170s and staying there consistently (even if just at 170)? My diagnostic was a 157, and subsequent PTs have been 164, 168, 165, 170, 167, and 166. I have read through all three Powerscore Bibles, and have recently purchased one of the 10 real LSAT test books.

I intend to take the January LSAT, and my plan is to take as many practice tests as I can. I wonder if it may be a better practice to focus on logic games instead of taking full tests for the time being, so I can try to 100% or very close on said section.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BLawSchoolZ

New

Re: Break into 170s from Upper 160s Advice

Post by BLawSchoolZ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 pm

It depends on which sections you struggle with most. In my opinion, you should be getting close to perfect on the games section, if you want to get in the 170's. Try a game section untimed, and if you don't get a perfect score, you've not studied enough. Do a game every night before bed. As for reading comp, I recommend reading upper-level reading in addition to studying. Also, make sure you are able to summarize the reading passages in your own words (i.e. Main idea, POV, etc.) For logical reasoning, the more you keep practicing, the more patterns you notice. As for whether to take full practice tests or by section, it depends if you are struggling with one section or just random questions. I was the in the latter camp, so I benefited from taking full tests every week.

oatmilk

New

Post by oatmilk » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:52 pm

1. Get all the digital tests, either in PDFs (you can find them for free..) or in prep plus. Do them on your computer with strap paper. You need material for drilling and PTs, and you also need to get used to doing it on a screen.
2. Drill LG sections (I'd suggest PTs 20-40) if you're not getting -0/1 already. Do a timed section, then figure out how to get 100% on any games with missed questions (online video explanations are a good resource), then go back and re-attempt the game under timed conditions. Rinse and repeat (and PROVE the answers to avoid memorization hurting you!).
3. Drill RC or LR, whichever is your problem section, especially if you're having timing issues.

TheNavigator

New

Post by TheNavigator » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:30 am

BLawSchoolZ wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 pm
It depends on which sections you struggle with most. In my opinion, you should be getting close to perfect on the games section, if you want to get in the 170's. Try a game section untimed, and if you don't get a perfect score, you've not studied enough. Do a game every night before bed. As for reading comp, I recommend reading upper-level reading in addition to studying. Also, make sure you are able to summarize the reading passages in your own words (i.e. Main idea, POV, etc.) For logical reasoning, the more you keep practicing, the more patterns you notice. As for whether to take full practice tests or by section, it depends if you are struggling with one section or just random questions. I was the in the latter camp, so I benefited from taking full tests every week.
oatmilk wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:52 pm
1. Get all the digital tests, either in PDFs (you can find them for free..) or in prep plus. Do them on your computer with strap paper. You need material for drilling and PTs, and you also need to get used to doing it on a screen.
2. Drill LG sections (I'd suggest PTs 20-40) if you're not getting -0/1 already. Do a timed section, then figure out how to get 100% on any games with missed questions (online video explanations are a good resource), then go back and re-attempt the game under timed conditions. Rinse and repeat (and PROVE the answers to avoid memorization hurting you!).
3. Drill RC or LR, whichever is your problem section, especially if you're having timing issues.
BLawSchoolZ wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 pm
oatmilk wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:52 pm
Thank you both. If I 100% the LG my average score would be about 170 at this point, so I’ll definitely focus on the logic games for now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”