College grads: did y'all stay with toxic family (or roomies) while prepping for LSAT or did y'all decide to move out? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nicole1994

New

College grads: did y'all stay with toxic family (or roomies) while prepping for LSAT or did y'all decide to move out?

Post by nicole1994 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:47 pm

1) this might be a sensitive topic, so sorry if it is!
2) did you feel that moving out helped you prep for LSAT better?
or did you prefer dealing with the toxic family members to save what would've otherwise been rent money on things like private tutors and/or future law school tuition?
IF the latter, what coping skills did you develop to help you?

BrainsyK

Bronze

Re: College grads: did y'all stay with toxic family (or roomies) while prepping for LSAT or did y'all decide to move out

Post by BrainsyK » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:42 pm

I stayed with a toxic family member post-LSAT but pre-matriculation. Get out. Serious LSAT prep (emphasis on serious; otherwise, you're just burning money) for non-geniuses is (and should be) all consuming barring working to keep a roof over your head.

On the private tutor point, I've never found them to be of much help except a placebo effect maybe. Pretty much every tip and trick with regard to the LSAT can be found online. On the tuition point, 1 point is often worth tens of thousands in scholarship or admittance to a school that may offer a few more percentage's-worth chance at a $190,000 salary. You're playing with pennies on the dollar here.

nicole1994

New

Re: College grads: did y'all stay with toxic family (or roomies) while prepping for LSAT or did y'all decide to move out

Post by nicole1994 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Thanks for your advice ! yeah my intention was to devote energy to killing LSAT (in effort to save up on tuition) while coping with living with them, just b/c even with a top LSAT i would still be looking at a good amount of debt from top 10 schools in particular especially b/c of my 3.66 GPA) and staying with fam would allow me to save a few tens of thousands of dollars on tuition which could otherwise accumulate close to 100,000 of debt with interest.

At the same time, I know myself well enough to know I need to be in best psychological shape without distractions for this test. So i will be spending the next few weeks to see whether things in this can be adjusted (for the sake of being able to save a few tens of thousands of dollars for things like living/tuition costs at the top 10 schools ) , since I am already giving myself a few months off after having recently graduated undergrad to explore the new city I'm in and do some therapy before LSAT studying. If not, I would consider moving out! As a side note, I just think getting a full time job (distraction from house) would help, which is something I am applying for.

You mentioned how you stayed in a similar situation AFTER LSAT (but before matriculation). So at this point I am honestly wondering whether you stayed with them during LSAT studying. But since you also advised me to get out, i'm not sure whether It is OK to ask what your coping skills were while staying with them? Thanks again for sharing your experience.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:46 am

Whatever you do-- quit telling people you are going to apply to law school. Get away from EVERYONE while you prep for the LSAT. NO ONE gets what you have on the line. It is YOUR life. OTHERS do not want you to be successful. Your "friends" aren't really your friends. Ignore me at your own peril.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:35 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:46 am
Whatever you do-- quit telling people you are going to apply to law school. Get away from EVERYONE while you prep for the LSAT. NO ONE gets what you have on the line. It is YOUR life. OTHERS do not want you to be successful. Your "friends" aren't really your friends. Ignore me at your own peril.
I wouldn't go this far - but it is important to realize that this is gonna begin a rather solitary period of your life, and many people around you won't understand the level of dedication required.

I studied for the LSAT for about two years while working. I had my own place and thank god my did. I literally had months at a time where all I did was sleep, work, eat, and study. My weekends - all study as well. I was an athlete in college as well, so going without workouts was crazy and my weight ballooned, but I started at a 141, ended up with a 169 (retook 2x), so it was worth it.

I say get stable, and then start studying. Otherwise, it's just a pain and you'll be angry as fuck with the stress around you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:35 pm
bizzybone1313 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:46 am
I wouldn't go this far - but it is important to realize that this is gonna begin a rather solitary period of your life, and many people around you won't understand the level of dedication required.

I studied for the LSAT for about two years while working. I had my own place and thank god my did. I literally had months at a time where all I did was sleep, work, eat, and study. My weekends - all study as well. I was an athlete in college as well, so going without workouts was crazy and my weight ballooned, but I started at a 141, ended up with a 169 (retook 2x), so it was worth it.

I say get stable, and then start studying. Otherwise, it's just a pain and you'll be angry as fuck with the stress around you.
^^It's been a while since I've been here so I am just seeing this message. This is really amazing to hear. My diagnostic (taken when I was just a freshman budding college student ) was a 140, and my target score is close to yours. I also suspected that with working a full time job , it might take over a year. Since you basically achieved exactly what I'm trying to given where you started, where you ended up, and similar work responsibilities, Do you mind if I PM you with questions about your experience studying for the exam while working full time?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”