April 2020 LSAT Cancelled - May exam added to take AT HOME Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PowerScoreAdmin

New

April 2020 LSAT Cancelled - May exam added to take AT HOME

Post by PowerScoreAdmin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:23 pm

LSAC has just released a statement confirming what we've long suspected: the April LSAT administration in North America will not take place this year.

What's far, FAR more unexpected however is what they're doing instead.

Here's the latest:

- LSAC has opted to add a test date in May that will be administered at-home for approximately 18,000 students, those impacted by the March and April cancellations. (It appears there will not be open registration, so unless you were originally enrolled in March or April then May will not be an option for you)

- This test will take place in "the second half of May," per LSAC. I'll update this post when official dates are announced.

- Most interestingly: this May exam will only include three sections rather than the usual five (four scored plus an experimental). So anyone affected by these disruptions and testing in May will have one section of Logic Games, one of Reading Comprehension, and only one section of Logical Reasoning. This is intended to reduce test length and take into consideration bathroom breaks, interruptions, and the like.

- The scoring will be on the same 120-180 scale as always...meaning this test will have its own unique conversion curve where the approximately 75-question count will be used to determine final results. It will also be a nondisclosed exam, so those testing will receive a score and percentile, but not a copy of the test content.

- May’s at-home test will be accessible on Macs and PCs, so most hardware and software formats will be supported, as will any accommodations such as extra time. However, it seems—oddly, given the test's current format—that tablets won't be allowed. Again, I'll elaborate further as I learn more...

There’s no word yet on plans for June and beyond, but we expect a similar delivery process in June if regular in-person testing can’t safely resume by the planned test date (something Dave and I both believe is unlikely).

We’ll continue to provide updates as we learn more. In the meantime, this is great news for March and April enrollees, as most schools will undoubtedly extend deadlines to account for this new test, including waitlist and scholarship decisions!

mysonx3

New

Re: April 2020 LSAT Cancelled - May exam added to take AT HOME

Post by mysonx3 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:06 pm

I don't find it remotely surprising that they won't be allowing tablets. Android and iOS both have security features that cause problems for remote proctoring, so all of the major remote proctoring services are Windows/Mac only. Presumably, LSAC will use one of those services rather than reinventing the wheel

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Call me old and apologies if this is a stupid question...

But with at home tests, how do they ensure that the person who is logging in is the same as the one actually taking the test? Is it just honesty policy (which is probably more effective in this context than others)?

Just wondering—I’m at something like a decade past my last lsat administration, so I have no skin in the game.

mysonx3

New

Post by mysonx3 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:44 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:Call me old and apologies if this is a stupid question...

But with at home tests, how do they ensure that the person who is logging in is the same as the one actually taking the test? Is it just honesty policy (which is probably more effective in this context than others)?

Just wondering—I’m at something like a decade past my last lsat administration, so I have no skin in the game.
(Background: I took several online classes that had remote proctoring, so I've done a lot of tests in this manner, using a couple of different proctoring services. However, I don't know what proctoring service the LSAT-Flex will use, so this info may not match how the test is administered.)

Typically it's done by webcam & ID. For instance, with one of the services I've used (the one I suspect LSAC intends to use, based on their email), you basically do a video call with your proctor (which uses their own software, rather than something like Skype/Zoom) and they require you to show your ID, all four walls + ceiling of the room you're in, as well as your workspace. They then watch you take the test via your webcam - they can see your video stream as well as everything on your computer's screen.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm

mysonx3 wrote:

(Background: I took several online classes that had remote proctoring, so I've done a lot of tests in this manner, using a couple of different proctoring services. However, I don't know what proctoring service the LSAT-Flex will use, so this info may not match how the test is administered.)

Typically it's done by webcam & ID. For instance, with one of the services I've used (the one I suspect LSAC intends to use, based on their email), you basically do a video call with your proctor (which uses their own software, rather than something like Skype/Zoom) and they require you to show your ID, all four walls + ceiling of the room you're in, as well as your workspace. They then watch you take the test via your webcam - they can see your video stream as well as everything on your computer's screen.
Oh wow. Very big brother ish but I suppose the only way to do it. Thanks.

mysonx3

New

Post by mysonx3 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:22 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
mysonx3 wrote:

Oh wow. Very big brother ish but I suppose the only way to do it. Thanks.
Yeah, I know there are some people who take online tests frequently who have a cheap PC that they use only for these tests because they are worried about giving up that degree of control. While I understand that sentiment, personally I'm content to just make sure I uninstall the software and restart my computer after each test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”