Trouble with maintaining concentration Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
IntellectualMode

New

Trouble with maintaining concentration

Post by IntellectualMode » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:04 am

I'm trying to do practice tests under timed conditions at home, and I keep coming across this problem
where I just cannot maintain concentration.

I will genuinely sit down, start the 35 min timer on my phone, complete a section and then just not be able to go onto the next section without feeling bored.
My brain straight up gets tired and bored and my pace if I choose to continue to the next section just slows down considerably.

Any tips on how I should go about fixing this?

MountainMama

New

Re: Trouble with maintaining concentration

Post by MountainMama » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:37 pm

I highly recommend meditation. Check out The Attention Revolution by B. Allen Wallace.

I also recommend trying to read progressively dense fiction. I think it is easier to develop focus when concentrating on a compelling narrative than on bland LSAT questions.

(Though, frankly, I think that is a pretty rough baseline. If you think sequential LSAT sections are tedious, I don't know what you are expecting in law school and beyond.)

IntellectualMode

New

Post by IntellectualMode » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:22 am

MountainMama wrote:I highly recommend meditation. Check out The Attention Revolution by B. Allen Wallace.

I also recommend trying to read progressively dense fiction. I think it is easier to develop focus when concentrating on a compelling narrative than on bland LSAT questions.

(Though, frankly, I think that is a pretty rough baseline. If you think sequential LSAT sections are tedious, I don't know what you are expecting in law school and beyond.)
Thank you for this! I'll definitely give these strategies a go.
I'm an LLB student in the UK, I've gotten through fairly dense material in prep for lectures and seminars but perhaps its the time element thats affecting me. Alternatively, I might just have the attention span of a nat.
Either way I'll give it a try.

MountainMama

New

Post by MountainMama » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:24 pm

Good luck! Improvement is absolutely possible.

You also might want to try studying outside of your home. Sometimes, feeling self-conscious in a public space will keep me from getting distracted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”