How Long Did It Take You To "Get" LG? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MercW07

Bronze

How Long Did It Take You To "Get" LG?

Post by MercW07 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Just as the title says, how long did it take you before you were consistently getting 20+ LG questions right under timed conditions? Im not taking the test till December, so Im confident that Ill be able to nail down LG pretty well, but Im basically just trying to put together a rough timeline for my studies moving forward. Id also be interested to hear how you learned LG. I recently printed out a ton of clean copies from most of the games in the first 35 PTs, and will be doing the fool proof method from 7Sage, but if anyone has any additional suggestions Id like to hear them.

Also, if you are currently in the process of learning LG, how long have you been studying it, and what kind of progress have you made thus far?

it's allgood

Bronze

Re: How Long Did It Take You To "Get" LG?

Post by it's allgood » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:35 pm

I took a course with powerscore and that is how I learned them. I have taken the LSAT twice and really found I "got" them after taking the LSAT the second time (June 2017). Something just clicked. I was -0 to -3 going into the test. But something about making up front inferences and what we are being tested on just clicked after taking the June 2017 LSAT. I did full timed PTs for two months leading up to the second LSAT and went over any questions I missed/re-did the games and looked for different inferences I could make/ways of approaching each question/game. I took about 30 PTs during this time and they were all strictly timed. Also, before that, I did all the PTs 1-50 and re-did the LG multiple times though I did not time myself for those PTs.

Platopus

Gold

Re: How Long Did It Take You To "Get" LG?

Post by Platopus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 pm

LG was one of those sections that suddenly "hit me". I was probably 4 weeks into studying when I started going -2 or less; before that I was probably -4/-5 per section. LG is largely a matter of pattern recognition, there are literally only so many ways to put 7 people in a line or divide 8 people into two groups. I think you are on the right track: just keep drilling. I wouldn't really worry about timing if you are seriously struggling, but if you have a decent grasp it's good to work under that time pressure. The best piece of advice I can offer is to avoid getting "stuck" in the methods of a particular company. I found Powerscore to be great for linear and advanced linear, 7 sage to be awesome for grouping games, and the rest I sort of pieced together one my own. Figure out what works for you.

The real key to getting to -0 / -1 per section, is to really nail the set ups. Take your time, especially, but make sure your set up is solid before you even look at the questions. Once things start feeling familiar, you'll be able to spot logically equivalent answers (which means they're wrong). Eventually, just through shear repetition, inferences will start to make themselves. Again, try to get them before you even approach the questions, but also be on the look out. Many times, a CBT / MBT question is giving you the key inference in the game.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”