Where to begin? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jriveraCAL2017

New

Where to begin?

Post by jriveraCAL2017 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Soo I am applying for law school this fall and will be taking a prep course for LSAT beginning June 10th. I had a couple of questions for anyone willing to offer their wisdom...

First, where do you begin in studying for LSAT? I thought it might be best to wait for the prep course to begin studying for LSAT so that I don't confuse myself, I have a couple prep books that have just been sitting around. Where does one begin if they do start to study on their own?

Second, is 3 months "enough" time to prep? I can dedicate a pretty good amount of time to studying every day throughout the summer, but I am very worried about if I have given myself enough time to study? I took a diagnostic last year when I had never even seen an LSAT before and I failed miserably with a 143 [BLEHHHH] and I am aiming to get a 172 in September. Any advice on how to make the most out of my time over the next three months studying/if a 30 point gain is even possible? lol

Platopus

Gold

Re: Where to begin?

Post by Platopus » Sun May 28, 2017 11:20 pm

I'll answer the 2nd point, as I think there are enough resources on this site to help you answer the first question you have; I leave it up to you to find those resources and get an idea of how to start.

3 months can be enough time to study, especially if you have the opportunity to study "full-time", that is - without other obligations. That said, I think the ideal amount of time to study is right around 5-6 months. If you are starting at a 143 you can certainly make the jump up to 173, but I have a hunch it's going to take more than 3 months. You really do need to just take your time and go with the material so that you are actually learning.

Which class are you planning on taking? Some, like Kaplan, are probably going to do you more harm than good.

darthlawyer

Bronze

Post by darthlawyer » Mon May 29, 2017 2:43 pm

id start with pt1.

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Mon May 29, 2017 6:56 pm

jriveraCAL2017 wrote:Soo I am applying for law school this fall and will be taking a prep course for LSAT beginning June 10th. I had a couple of questions for anyone willing to offer their wisdom...

First, where do you begin in studying for LSAT? I thought it might be best to wait for the prep course to begin studying for LSAT so that I don't confuse myself, I have a couple prep books that have just been sitting around. Where does one begin if they do start to study on their own?

Second, is 3 months "enough" time to prep? I can dedicate a pretty good amount of time to studying every day throughout the summer, but I am very worried about if I have given myself enough time to study? I took a diagnostic last year when I had never even seen an LSAT before and I failed miserably with a 143 [BLEHHHH] and I am aiming to get a 172 in September. Any advice on how to make the most out of my time over the next three months studying/if a 30 point gain is even possible? lol
I'd start with the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and become proficient in games. Then I would go on to the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible. Then I would start taking PTs. Since you can study full time, I would take 1PT every other day and review in between. Also, I wish I never would have taken a Prep class--it was a waste of money. I took Powerscore. I wish I would have just bought the $700 online 7 sage course. If you can get a refund and find the online 7sage videos a style of learning that suits you, I would not waste my time with a prep-course or money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”