Looking for a tutor to go from 167 to 172+ Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dlutfy

New

Looking for a tutor to go from 167 to 172+

Post by dlutfy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Diagnostic: 132
February 17: 167

My biggest problem is reading comp. LR and LG are fine, but I can kind of shit the bed on logic games on the February test. I normally never do worse than -2 and I had to guess on 3, so that's probably why I had a drop from my PT average (169.)

I would prefer a tutor who was bad at reading comp (and the test in general.)

34iplaw

Gold

Re: Looking for a tutor to go from 167 to 172+

Post by 34iplaw » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:55 pm

My improvement on RC -4/-5/-6 to -0/-1 [actual -2, 1x super sloppy mistake] came from reading the Manhattan RC guide while doing passages by subject. Particularly those I didn't care for. TBH, I think my improvement largely came down to really forcing myself back to the text for every A/C.

I think a lot of strong readers do poorly on RC by getting lured into answers that seem extremely familiar to the text. You get lured into and convinced of wrong A/C.

njames1961

New

Post by njames1961 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:59 pm

34iplaw wrote:My improvement on RC -4/-5/-6 to -0/-1 [actual -2, 1x super sloppy mistake] came from reading the Manhattan RC guide while doing passages by subject. Particularly those I didn't care for. TBH, I think my improvement largely came down to really forcing myself back to the text for every A/C.

I think a lot of strong readers do poorly on RC by getting lured into answers that seem extremely familiar to the text. You get lured into and convinced of wrong A/C.
So you think the key is to go back to the text as much as possible?

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:17 pm

njames1961 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:My improvement on RC -4/-5/-6 to -0/-1 [actual -2, 1x super sloppy mistake] came from reading the Manhattan RC guide while doing passages by subject. Particularly those I didn't care for. TBH, I think my improvement largely came down to really forcing myself back to the text for every A/C.

I do.
Last edited by AJordan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blueprint Brett

New

Post by Blueprint Brett » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 pm

I too struggled a ton with RC. Every other section was totally fine, but I would miss like half of the RC questions. The major thing that changed it for me was taking more time upfront. I started taking more notes on the passage, I started rereading paragraphs that I didn't understand, and I started taking a few seconds to recap all of my notes and the main point, author's attitude, etc. This allowed me to have a pretty much 100% understanding of the passage before I got into the questions. That meant that certain questions were pretty much totally answerable without much thought, and then I could quickly reference the exact part of the passage where the answer came from to confirm. In total that meant that there were usually only one or two questions that I had to really think on, and for those questions, I would do what others here have suggested and check every choice against the passage. That was much easier to do also because my clear understanding of the twists and turns of the passage allowed me to know exactly what parts of the passage would tell me whether an answer was right or wrong. So, my biggest piece of advice is to take more time upfront, even if it feel counterintuitive. That alone took me from a 14ish/27 on RC to a comfortable 25/27 even on my worst days. It also weirdly allowed me to finish the passages quicker leaving about 5 minutes to double check tougher answers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 pm

I've seen improvement on RC during my prep by slowing down during the actual passage. I really read at a comfortable pace, and make sure that everything I'm reading makes sense. I underline a hit here and there, and I usually circle any words such as "but", "yet", "although", "however", as these indicate a shift in viewpoint. However, my main purpose is to read at a slow enough pace to get a solid grasp on the mainpoint. Usually since the 1st question is about the mainpoint, I take extra time on this question to ensure that I have an accurate understanding of the passage. Also, remember that all the answers in RC need to mesh. Use previous answers that you're confident in to help answer other, more dicey questions. Slowing down in the passage makes about 1/2 the questions 30 seconds or less, and the others you can feel comfortable going back to the passage to double check.

For drilling, I find it useful to do each passage separately, and note my time up top. I find that I rarely need the 8 1/2 minutes, even for the hardest passages. When you realize that timing isn't as much of a pressure as you probably thought, the section becomes much more comfortable as a whole. Honestly, I find RC actually interesting, and this helps with engagement and understanding. Get thoroughly interested in the material. Read so that you actually learn something from the passage. In my experience, slowing down and engaging with the passage has helped tremendously.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:34 am

Blueprint Brett wrote:I too struggled a ton with RC. Every other section was totally fine, but I would miss like half of the RC questions. The major thing that changed it for me was taking more time upfront. I started taking more notes on the passage, I started rereading paragraphs that I didn't understand, and I started taking a few seconds to recap all of my notes and the main point, author's attitude, etc. This allowed me to have a pretty much 100% understanding of the passage before I got into the questions. That meant that certain questions were pretty much totally answerable without much thought, and then I could quickly reference the exact part of the passage where the answer came from to confirm. In total that meant that there were usually only one or two questions that I had to really think on, and for those questions, I would do what others here have suggested and check every choice against the passage. That was much easier to do also because my clear understanding of the twists and turns of the passage allowed me to know exactly what parts of the passage would tell me whether an answer was right or wrong. So, my biggest piece of advice is to take more time upfront, even if it feel counterintuitive. That alone took me from a 14ish/27 on RC to a comfortable 25/27 even on my worst days. It also weirdly allowed me to finish the passages quicker leaving about 5 minutes to double check tougher answers.
Which guide did you follow for your notation strategy? Is there a webinar or write up of it? I would love to increase my RC to even -3/4 consistently. I'd go so far as to say I would give my left testicle for a -2 on game day.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:19 pm

AJordan wrote:
njames1961 wrote:

I do.
Sorry, I went MIA. Either way, I agree with AJordan.

Blueprint Brett

New

Post by Blueprint Brett » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Blueprint Brett wrote:I too struggled a ton with RC. Every other section was totally fine, but I would miss like half of the RC questions. The major thing that changed it for me was taking more time upfront. I started taking more notes on the passage, I started rereading paragraphs that I didn't understand, and I started taking a few seconds to recap all of my notes and the main point, author's attitude, etc. This allowed me to have a pretty much 100% understanding of the passage before I got into the questions. That meant that certain questions were pretty much totally answerable without much thought, and then I could quickly reference the exact part of the passage where the answer came from to confirm. In total that meant that there were usually only one or two questions that I had to really think on, and for those questions, I would do what others here have suggested and check every choice against the passage. That was much easier to do also because my clear understanding of the twists and turns of the passage allowed me to know exactly what parts of the passage would tell me whether an answer was right or wrong. So, my biggest piece of advice is to take more time upfront, even if it feel counterintuitive. That alone took me from a 14ish/27 on RC to a comfortable 25/27 even on my worst days. It also weirdly allowed me to finish the passages quicker leaving about 5 minutes to double check tougher answers.
Which guide did you follow for your notation strategy? Is there a webinar or write up of it? I would love to increase my RC to even -3/4 consistently. I'd go so far as to say I would give my left testicle for a -2 on game day.
Just DMed you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”