Is Sophomore Year Too Early To Start Studying? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Nicole197

New

Is Sophomore Year Too Early To Start Studying?

Post by Nicole197 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:37 pm

I'm a Sophomore, but I was wondering is it too early to start studying? What resources will help? I'm a Social Work major planning to apply to the dual MSW/J.D. program my school offers. How hard is too manage a dual program like that?

amta

Platinum

Re: Is Sophomore Year Too Early To Start Studying?

Post by amta » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:38 pm

too early

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:08 am

Focus on your GPA, that is the thing you can't redo. I think I would get burned out if I had to study for the LSAT longer than several months. You'd also probably run out of old practice tests.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Post by PresidentIJohnson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:23 am

I wouldn't say it was too early. Study for your LSAT, take the test, and you're good for 5 years. Now, if you were planning on taking an extended break post graduation or had other plans besides law, then it wouldn't be such a good idea; but if you know 100% that you're going straight for your joint degree post undergrad, then no harm in knocking it out early. This is coming from a sophomore myself. Albeit I am technically a junior by credit hours.

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

PresidentIJohnson wrote:I wouldn't say it was too early. Study for your LSAT, take the test, and you're good for 5 years. Now, if you were planning on taking an extended break post graduation or had other plans besides law, then it wouldn't be such a good idea; but if you know 100% that you're going straight for your joint degree post undergrad, then no harm in knocking it out early. This is coming from a sophomore myself. Albeit I am technically a junior by credit hours.
Yeah I guess if you wanted to knock it out over the summer that wouldn't be a bad plan. I'd just make sure it doesn't cost you anything in grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PresidentIJohnson

New

Post by PresidentIJohnson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:22 am

laqueredup wrote:
PresidentIJohnson wrote:I wouldn't say it was too early. Study for your LSAT, take the test, and you're good for 5 years. Now, if you were planning on taking an extended break post graduation or had other plans besides law, then it wouldn't be such a good idea; but if you know 100% that you're going straight for your joint degree post undergrad, then no harm in knocking it out early. This is coming from a sophomore myself. Albeit I am technically a junior by credit hours.
Yeah I guess if you wanted to knock it out over the summer that wouldn't be a bad plan. I'd just make sure it doesn't cost you anything in grades.
Yes, don't let it affect your grades. No point in having a high LSAT with a 2.0 GPA.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:32 am

Don't let it affect your grades. You can start studying lightly or doing things that will prep you for LSAT, but i wouldn't plan on actually taking it this early. Believe it or not, you still do have time to develop in UG. Light studying or things to prep you for it wouldn't be a bad idea. It is best to get it out of the way and done early, but enjoy college and get a phenomenal GPA first.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Also, don't burn out. If you're not going to take until Jun/Sep Senior Year, chances of burnout are high if you start now.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Nicole197 wrote:I'm a Sophomore, but I was wondering is it too early to start studying? What resources will help? I'm a Social Work major planning to apply to the dual MSW/J.D. program my school offers. How hard is too manage a dual program like that?
In my opinion, it's not too early IF you plan on taking it within 3 - 9 months. Don't start studying now if you're only planning on taking it at the end of your junior or senior year. If you stretch out your prepping that long, you'll likely burn out. Or you might spend a lot of that time hardly improving for lack of consistency - it's not a good idea to take breaks longer than a few days or a week while you're prepping for the LSAT, if you can avoid it.

However, there's nothing wrong with getting the test out of the way now. An LSAT score is good for 5 years, so if you're planning on going into a JD program within that time period, you'll be fine. Just make sure not to compromise your grades for the sake of the LSAT. You can retake the LSAT, but you can't get a redo on your GPA, and the two are equally important when it comes to admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:16 pm

I tried to study starting freshman year. Did a poor job.

Then tried to study during sophomore year. Did a poor job.

Then I tried to take a full summer, study every day, and then take it in September. Got a 174.

Long story short, doesn't matter when you start taking, but take it when you have enough time to give it the attention it deserves.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:23 pm

SweetTort wrote:I tried to study starting freshman year. Did a poor job.

Then I tried to take a full summer, study every day, and then take it in September. Got a 174.

Long story short, doesn't matter when you start taking, but take it when you have enough time to give it the attention it deserves.
More like a 147

Jk ily :lol:

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Similar story here. Technically started studying in sophomore year, took summer to study, and took early in junior year.

Keep in mind how much (or little) time you want to take off between UG and LS. I was pretty sure I wanted to go to LS soon after UG and wanted to have time a comfortable amount of time to retake to maximize my score if needed. Also if you want to take the next summer(s) to travel, do a time-consuming internship, or something like that, it's awfully nice to have the LSAT off your back.

ws120

New

Post by ws120 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:17 pm

No!! Started studying my sophomore year, took the real test my junior year (167) and then senior year (177). It gives you the freedom to take time off from studying if you need to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cm4998

New

Post by cm4998 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Not at all. In fact, that is a great idea.

The only thing I would caution is emotional and mental burnout. Depending on where your diagnostic score is, the LSAT is a very frustrating test. I started studying the beginning of my junior year and planned to take it that June 2016. However, it did not go as well as I started. My semester school work started to pile up and I made the mistake of starting a new relationship (even though I'm still with this person, starting a relationship really distracts you in the beginning), so I had to put it off for summer 2016. I took all summer to study, registering for a summer course which didn't work out and continued studying with new materials this past fall. It was going well, and then again I fell off due to undergrad work.

Now, I'm going to make a final stride and see if I can test in June, but it doesn't look promising. This is my senior year of undergrad, perhaps with one more semester next fall, so I still have some time in case things don't work out.

Like I said, it depends on your diagnostic. I initially scored a 141, which is awful and I'm aiming for a 170+ which is the reason why I started so early. Perhaps it will take me longer and I'll have to take some time off after undergrad to do so. However, if your diagnostic is a high 150, or even in the 160s, you can prob crank out a 170+ within 4 or 5 months of intensive study.

It also depends on the kind of person you are. I'm terrible with work/life balance and I get stressed out very easily. So doing LSAT prep, undergrad work and internships all at the same time obviously did not work out for me. Some people can do it, and that's awesome. If you can, go for it. It's nice to be able to get the LSAT out of the way. I wish I would have by now as life would be so much more fun.

Best of luck! Remember, take as much time as you need. You're after a score, you're not trying to win a race. There's no rush!

Ilovemydogxo

New

Post by Ilovemydogxo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:48 pm

Mikey wrote:

More like a 147
Are you implying that he's an URM?

Mod edit: user has been warned and tempbanned for repeated racist/troll comments.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:06 pm

the fuck. banned

christmascookie

New

Post by christmascookie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:49 pm

I started studying sophomore year and am very happy I did. Starting to study that far ahead of time means you can study less intensely for longer as opposed to very intensely for a short period of time. You will thank yourself when the LSAT is close and you don't have to hurt your GPA by spending so much time studying for the LSAT. Also you'll be more relaxed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Your job right now is to get good grades and enjoy college. Make friends, have a social life, go to class.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:52 pm

suralin wrote:the fuck. banned
Was that the same guy who tried to pull the whole fraternity-frat/country-c*** business? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”