Law passages Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Law passages

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Law passages in RC cause the most trouble. Any recommendation for how to strengthen comprehension of these passages besides persistent practice?

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Re: Law passages

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:31 pm

What about them do you find makes them more difficult?

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:07 pm

dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:What about them do you find makes them more difficult?
The struggle is in part psychological, since the test is the first step into the legal world and the passage topic is about legal material.

There seem to be more relationships between concepts in law passages than for non-law passages.

The questions, rather than the passage, seem to be the source of the problem.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:28 pm

Hmm, that's still not specific enough for me, other than the psychological part.

I know personally that I used to HATE the arts passages. Not humanities like philosophy, etc, but arts as in having to do with sculptures, paintings, etc. Music was fine though, because I really like music, and spend some time examining it.

I've found that my largest improvement with RC was due to having a better understanding of the passage. Intimidation, or lack of interest with arts passages often caused me to score less there.

Maybe try thinking to yourself that the law passages are inherently interesting DUE to their relevance to what you want to do? Maybe you can learn something.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:25 am

WeightliftingThinker wrote:
dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:What about them do you find makes them more difficult?
The struggle is in part psychological, since the test is the first step into the legal world and the passage topic is about legal material.

There seem to be more relationships between concepts in law passages than for non-law passages.

The questions, rather than the passage, seem to be the source of the problem.
I agree and I had the biggest struggle with science/econ passages when I first started doing RC. To get over this struggle, I first mastered the RC subjects that were easier to me like humanities/law. I did this by stripping the passage down to its bare components and looking actively for the author's voice, different opinions, main point, passage structure, examples, etc. Then I applied this to the subjectively harder topics since they're just different in subject matter, not passage structure. Doing so made me focus almost exclusively on passage organization and different viewpoints, instead of getting boggled down by the subject matter itself. Also, I think reading science magazines/articles/books helped me get over that intimidation, and I would read them as I would any other RC passage (by looking for author's opinion, main point, ways to strengthen or weaken the author's claim). So maybe it could also help you if you read law magazines until it feels like second nature!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:50 am

WeightliftingThinker wrote:Law passages in RC cause the most trouble. Any recommendation for how to strengthen comprehension of these passages besides persistent practice?
I had a similar thing for Science passages. Practice showed me that the subject of a given passage is virtually irrelevant because what is being tested is a standard set of skills across all passages.

You should practice and review passages to figure out the skills that get tested. Once you get a fair idea of the broad skills being tested, you would become neutral to the subject. And the knowledge that you have the skills being tested will make you test ready. Hth.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:30 am

Hmm.. I get where you're coming for with some of the questions being hard in law passages, but I think the key is to just have a big interest in what you're reading. Like me, I love law passages, I think they're all really interesting, but I'll daze out on a passage about some historical event.

Do you annotate or just read?

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:52 am

Mikey wrote:Hmm.. I get where you're coming for with some of the questions being hard in law passages, but I think the key is to just have a big interest in what you're reading. Like me, I love law passages, I think they're all really interesting, but I'll daze out on a passage about some historical event.

I annotate, breaking down what each paragraph is mainly about, circling examples, and underlining main points.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:57 am

Mikey wrote:Hmm.. I get where you're coming for with some of the questions being hard in law passages, but I think the key is to just have a big interest in what you're reading. Like me, I love law passages, I think they're all really interesting, but I'll daze out on a passage about some historical event.

I annotate, breaking down what each paragraph is mainly about, circling examples, and underlining main points.
I see. I think it's pretty normal for people on here to say that if you have a set system of annotating (e.g. voyager's method), then subject matter really shouldn't matter. I know how you feel with these passages though, but really all you can do is practice and try your best to either don't let the subject matter makes or break you, or make yourself be extremely interested in it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:53 pm

Mikey wrote:

I see. I think it's pretty normal for people on here to say that if you have a set system of annotating (e.g. voyager's method), then subject matter really shouldn't matter. I know how you feel with these passages though, but really all you can do is practice and try your best to either don't let the subject matter makes or break you, or make yourself be extremely interested in it.
I agree. I find it interesting, I'm just inexperienced with it since undergraduate hardly touches on law. Any legal sources you suggest?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Mikey wrote:

I agree. I find it interesting, I'm just inexperienced with it since undergraduate hardly touches on law. Any legal sources you suggest?
no sources, sorry. just put together as many legal rc passages as you can (use 7sage's question bank) and practice them. that's gonna be your best bet at getting better at them since the lsat has a specific structure to its passages as opposed to some other reading source.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Mikey wrote:
Mikey wrote:

no sources, sorry. just put together as many legal rc passages as you can (use 7sage's question bank) and practice them. that's gonna be your best bet at getting better at them since the lsat has a specific structure to its passages as opposed to some other reading source.
Thank you.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:16 pm

I'm not a big fan of annotating. It's a great learning tool on passage structure and seeing which parts are relevant towards answering the questions, but I advise weening yourself off of it. Lots of high scorers advocate for "mentally annotating" the passages.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:42 pm

I indicate where the main point is/are, author opinion (b/c there are ALWAYS questions about this), and if there are any specific terms that aren't in quotes to differentiate them from the rest of the test. Otherwise, annotating takes up a lot of time.

gwillygecko

Bronze

Post by gwillygecko » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:56 pm

law passages, to me, are a lot like principle questions in lr. both doften eal with sets of rules and how/when to apply them.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:34 pm

gwillygecko wrote:law passages, to me, are a lot like principle questions in lr. both doften eal with sets of rules and how/when to apply them.
that's exactly how I view both principle questions and law passages. I just think of principle questions as "applying a law to a scenario" type of thing, haha, makes it slightly more interesting.. I think..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”