PT 70, Game 2, language confusion (is this an exhaustive list)? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

PT 70, Game 2, language confusion (is this an exhaustive list)?

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:12 pm

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsa ... -3-game-2/
(7Sage explanation above)

For question 8, "Which one of the following is a possible selection of employees for the team?", am I supposed to interpret that as the only employees selected for the team? Meaning everyone else is not selected.

I don't see how to arrive at the correct answer unless you assume the list is exhaustive, and everyone not mentioned is in the out group.

I thought they're usually more precise with language though, and would say something like, "a complete list", rather than just a "possible selection".

Thanks

34iplaw

Gold

Re: PT 70, Game 2, language confusion (is this an exhaustive list)?

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:37 pm

It's a possible scenario. That's all it's asking for. Be weary with the word exhaustive. I think exhaustive in regards to the LSAT typically would mean a list of everyone that could be selected, and, barring a variable that can never be in, that would just be a list of every variable.

What you describe is the right way to interpret it, but I don't think it's an assumption. The language isn't all that vague. The key phrase is "a possible selection"

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:58 pm

34iplaw wrote:It's a possible scenario. That's all it's asking for. Be weary with the word exhaustive. I think exhaustive in regards to the LSAT typically would mean a list of everyone that could be selected, and, barring a variable that can never be in, that would just be a list of every variable.

What you describe is the right way to interpret it, but I don't think it's an assumption. The language isn't all that vague. The key phrase is "a possible selection"
In that case though, while answer B is correct (the true correct choice), C is also correct, because answer C is possible if you make one more selection (C is not correct by itself though). So answer C still provides a possible scenario of a selection, just not an entirely limited one.

By exhaustive I just mean no other selections are included, regardless of whether they could be or not according to the rules.

I only moved on to assuming they meant a selection limited to those mentioned because otherwise there were at least two correct answers.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:07 pm

dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:
34iplaw wrote:It's a possible scenario. That's all it's asking for. Be weary with the word exhaustive. I think exhaustive in regards to the LSAT typically would mean a list of everyone that could be selected, and, barring a variable that can never be in, that would just be a list of every variable.

In that case though, while answer B is correct (the true correct choice), C is also correct, because answer C is possible if you make one more selection (C is not correct by itself though). So answer C still provides a possible scenario of a selection, just not an entirely limited one.

By exhaustive I just mean no other selections are included, regardless of whether they could be or not according to the rules.

I only moved on to assuming they meant a selection limited to those mentioned because otherwise there were at least two correct answers.
I assume there is some rule there that makes C incorrect. I'll take a look at the game when I get my overpriced coffee and get home. I'm sure I have the game somewhere.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:17 pm

34iplaw wrote:

I assume there is some rule there that makes C incorrect. I'll take a look at the game when I get my overpriced coffee and get home. I'm sure I have the game somewhere.
There is if you assume that it's a limited selection, otherwise I don't see it (I did get everything right on this game, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean I diagrammed everything well).

I do see 7Sage diagrammed it differently, so possibly that's it, but it seems like it was just a visual thing.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I don't really understand this otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:04 pm

34iplaw wrote:

There is if you assume that it's a limited selection, otherwise I don't see it (I did get everything right on this game, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean I diagrammed everything well).

I do see 7Sage diagrammed it differently, so possibly that's it, but it seems like it was just a visual thing.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I don't really understand this otherwise.
I think the wording gave you trouble then, as you understand the issue.

C is incorrect because Thomson isn't selected in this scenario. That's still a violation of the second rule Schmidt -> Paine & Thomson. If they were insinuating more could be selected, they would be very explicit that a partial list would suffice.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:23 pm

Okay.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”