PT 65, LR, Section 1 Question 25, coffee shops: chain, contrapositive Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

PT 65, LR, Section 1 Question 25, coffee shops: chain, contrapositive

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Hello,

So I'm not sure if I understand why this answer is correct, and the reasoning seems kind of strange to me.

https://lsathacks.com/explanations/lsat ... ng-1/q-25/

It seems like he's stating that answer choice D is correct due to the use of the contrapositive. But doesn't that necessitate that there are only two options, comfortable and uncomfortable? Why isn't the contrapositive of uncomfortable simply "not uncomfortable", therefore not meaning necessarily that something is comfortable because it is not uncomfortable?

Therefore you can't say that it MUST be true that it has a spacious interior, because it isn't necessarily comfortable.

Thanks

180orDie

New

Re: PT 65, LR, Section 1 Question 25, coffee shops: chain, contrapositive

Post by 180orDie » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:04 pm

I will never understand why C isn't a viable option.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:09 pm

180orDie wrote:I will never understand why C isn't a viable option.
Well, C is wrong (in my opinion) because it says most COFFEEHOUSES. The stimulus says most coffeehouses AND restaurants. So there could be more restaurants than coffeehouses, and therefore possibly fewer than most coffeehouses that are well designed have artwork, and therefore it mustn't be true that most coffeehouses that are well designed have art work.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:05 pm

dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:Hello,

So I'm not sure if I understand why this answer is correct, and the reasoning seems kind of strange to me.

https://lsathacks.com/explanations/lsat ... ng-1/q-25/

It seems like he's stating that answer choice D is correct due to the use of the contrapositive. But doesn't that necessitate that there are only two options, comfortable and uncomfortable? Why isn't the contrapositive of uncomfortable simply "not uncomfortable", therefore not meaning necessarily that something is comfortable because it is not uncomfortable?

Therefore you can't say that it MUST be true that it has a spacious interior, because it isn't necessarily comfortable.

Thanks
Hi. I think you are overthinking this. This is not the same thing as saying if something is not cold then it is hot. Cold and hot are two different terms or words. Comfortable, however, is the only term or phrase in this answer choice. So negating "comfortable" would be "not comfortable" or "uncomfortable" and negating "not comfortable" would be "not not comfortable" or simply comfortable.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:45 pm

In real life though, would you say that there are not only two states in regards to this, comfortable and uncomfortable? There is also just a lack of either.

Are you saying that if hot was used in the stimulus instead of comfortable, that the logic would be different due to the different nature of the concepts?

I just don't see why "not comfortable" is uncomfortable, and not simply a lack of comfortable. I don't quite understand why it's different than hot, unless it can be established that there are actually only two states, comfortable and uncomfortable.

Thanks for your response. I am still confused.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:21 pm

dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:In real life though, would you say that there are not only two states in regards to this, comfortable and uncomfortable? There is also just a lack of either.

Are you saying that if hot was used in the stimulus instead of comfortable, that the logic would be different due to the different nature of the concepts?

I just don't see why "not comfortable" is uncomfortable, and not simply a lack of comfortable. I don't quite understand why it's different than hot, unless it can be established that there are actually only two states, comfortable and uncomfortable.

Thanks for your response. I am still confused.
Here is the thing though, "not" can be synonymous with "un". If something is unaffordable, it is not affordable. If something is unpleasant, it is not pleasant. "Not" also symbolizes "a lack of". If something is not believable or unbelievable then it has a lack of belief to it. Similarly, if something is not hot, then it is lacking in heat. However, you wouldn't grammatically say that thing is "unhot" even though that is what it is. With comfortable, however, you can grammatically say "not comfortable" as well as "uncomfortable" which both symbolize a lack of comfort. So even if we use your logic and say that not comfortable is a lack of comfort, we can simply replace that "lack of" with "un" which can also be replaced with "not". Similarly, though grammatically incorrect, not cold would also logically be "uncold".

In other words, "a lack of"; "not"; and "un" really depict the same concept.
Not comfortable = uncomfortable = lack of comfort

Hope that helps.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Oh shit, I see what you mean. God dammit, that makes sense now.

Thanks a bunch!

Edit, seriously, thanks a lot.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:03 pm

dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:Oh shit, I see what you mean. God dammit, that makes sense now.

Thanks a bunch!

Edit, seriously, thanks a lot.
No problem

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”