Enough Time to Prepare for LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
fourwinds

New

Enough Time to Prepare for LSAT?

Post by fourwinds » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:04 pm

I am considering signing up for a live LSAT prep class. There are two companies that have classes in my location, Test Masters and PowerScore. The PowerScore class goes from December 17 to February 2, while the full-length Test Masters class goes from February 27 to June 3 and the accelerated Test Masters class goes from May 7 to June 5.

The PowerScore class and the accelerated Test Masters class would be the best options for me. I do not have class during January at my college, so the entire PowerScore class would take place during winter break and the January term where I'm not in class. That would give me optimal time to self-study along with the prep class so that I can take the February LSAT. The accelerated Test Masters class would also be ideal because it would take place while I'm on summer break and then end right before the June LSAT.

My question is this: are these accelerated classes enough time to adequately prepare for the LSAT, assuming I'm self-studying on the side on my own? It's possible for me to sign up for the full-length Test Masters class, but it would get in the way of my spring semester classes and cause me to lose focus on both my college classes and the LSAT class. The other two options I mentioned would be uninterrupted because I wouldn't have college while the LSAT prep class is in session.

I'm looking to hear from people that have taken both of these classes to weigh in on whether or not they provided adequate time to fully do well on the LSAT. I'm not looking for the class to be magic; I know I still have to put in work on my own. I'm mainly signing up for the class because I remember not having enough motivation to study for the SAT on my own, even though I know I could've gotten a better score if I would've just worked at it a little more. Please give me advice about these timelines and the test companies in general.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Enough Time to Prepare for LSAT?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:57 am

fourwinds wrote:I am considering signing up for a live LSAT prep class. There are two companies that have classes in my location, Test Masters and PowerScore. The PowerScore class goes from December 17 to February 2, while the full-length Test Masters class goes from February 27 to June 3 and the accelerated Test Masters class goes from May 7 to June 5.

The PowerScore class and the accelerated Test Masters class would be the best options for me. I do not have class during January at my college, so the entire PowerScore class would take place during winter break and the January term where I'm not in class. That would give me optimal time to self-study along with the prep class so that I can take the February LSAT. The accelerated Test Masters class would also be ideal because it would take place while I'm on summer break and then end right before the June LSAT.

My question is this: are these accelerated classes enough time to adequately prepare for the LSAT, assuming I'm self-studying on the side on my own? It's possible for me to sign up for the full-length Test Masters class, but it would get in the way of my spring semester classes and cause me to lose focus on both my college classes and the LSAT class. The other two options I mentioned would be uninterrupted because I wouldn't have college while the LSAT prep class is in session.

I'm looking to hear from people that have taken both of these classes to weigh in on whether or not they provided adequate time to fully do well on the LSAT. I'm not looking for the class to be magic; I know I still have to put in work on my own. I'm mainly signing up for the class because I remember not having enough motivation to study for the SAT on my own, even though I know I could've gotten a better score if I would've just worked at it a little more. Please give me advice about these timelines and the test companies in general.
I haven't taken either of these classes so I can't speak to them. I know people have recommended against me taking Powerscore.
I also don't like the sound of these accelerated classes. The LSAT is about learning processes; not memorizing info. So it is impossible to cram for it and do well.

I think you should take a diagnostic test first (A cold-timed LSAT) and see where you're at and how far you have to go to reach your goal score.
In any case, I would at minimum give myself 4-months to properly prepare. Again, the time needed will depend on your schedule, how much time you can dedicate, and most importantly, how many points you need to increase your score from your diagnostic.

FWIW, it seems like you are facing the same dilemma I had last year before I graduated. With a full class schedule, I was apprehensive to let the LSAT interfere with it and tried to make a study plan to fit around my classes. Eventually, after talking to friends in law school, I decided to take a year or two off after undergrad to gain work experience and prep for the LSAT right. Perhaps this is something you should consider. Having real work experience on your resume will help with admissions and gaining employment as a lawyer.

In sum, it is hard to answer your question without knowing your diagnostic. Further, I think those accelerated options are bad ideas. Ideally, like I said, you want at least 4-months.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: Enough Time to Prepare for LSAT?

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:19 pm

fourwinds wrote:I am considering signing up for a live LSAT prep class. There are two companies that have classes in my location, Test Masters and PowerScore. The PowerScore class goes from December 17 to February 2, while the full-length Test Masters class goes from February 27 to June 3 and the accelerated Test Masters class goes from May 7 to June 5.

Here's my opinion, as an LSAT instructor. A prep course can equip you with the strategies and tools to succeed on the test, but you have to put in a lot of work to get the most out of it. That usually means doing lots of review questions on your own time, making sure to be on top of any and all homework assignments, and keeping track of any areas where you're struggling so that you can devote extra time to them.

1 or 1 and half months for an LSAT course is fairly short - it's definitely possible to learn a lot in that period of time, but it's difficult to master all the material on the test in that much time without putting in several hours every single day. It's impossible to predict how quickly you'll pick up these concepts. You'll have an idea of where you're starting from if you take a diagnostic test. Take a practice test without doing any prep, and follow the official timing scheme.

It's great that you're prioritizing your college classes - a strong GPA is as important for law school admissions as a strong LSAT, but unlike with the latter, you don't a second chance to boost your grades. However, I'd advise putting just as much importance on getting a high LSAT score, so don't rush the process. If you're not scoring close to where you want to at the end of one of those prep classes, don't take the test - wait until a later date, and spend the interim time continuing to prep and hone your skills. It might be possible to do this even while you're in school, if you can put in a consistent hour of practice every day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”