LSAT burnout or something else? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WiltyMIZ

New

LSAT burnout or something else?

Post by WiltyMIZ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:53 am

Hi y'all so I'm taking the December LSAT here in a couple months. My PT scores for the modern preptests float around 165-168 usually coming down to how brutal reading comp is.

Anyways I took a preptest the other day and hit 159. My BR quickly made obvious a majority of my mistakes but nonetheless in the moment I clearly had numerous brainfarts and I'm a bit concerned. Though I'm taking 18 credits coming off midterm week with school on top of work and volunteering, the LSAT is by far my biggest priority and concern. I've been taking about 2-3 PTs a week for a while along with intermediary practice sections for a while now and it's gotten to the point I'm seeing these questions in my dreams (nightmares?) do you think I'm in the preliminary stages of burnout? I've heard it's good to take a break but with less than 2 months I don't see that as much of an option.

I'd love to hear your thoughts because after grading that last PT I'm considering broiling, then eating all my preptest book and PS bibles.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Re: LSAT burnout or something else?

Post by blackmamba8 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:02 pm

It might not be LSAT specific. Your life sounds extremely busy so it's possible that you're just burnt out from the combination of everything. Try and take a day or two off from your responsibilities if you can and see if that helps. I'm taking in December too so I totally understand not wanting to take any days off, but it might be best to do so.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:02 pm

You can make big gains in two months. Definitely take a week off, but do some planning on what you want out of your studying for the next couple of months, and also develop a schedule that will allow you to handle that and studying for your classes.

With that said, doing both of those at once while volunteering would be tough. I say minimize some of your responsibilities.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:29 pm

WiltyMIZ wrote:Hi y'all so I'm taking the December LSAT here in a couple months. My PT scores for the modern preptests float around 165-168 usually coming down to how brutal reading comp is.

Anyways I took a preptest the other day and hit 159. My BR quickly made obvious a majority of my mistakes but nonetheless in the moment I clearly had numerous brainfarts and I'm a bit concerned. Though I'm taking 18 credits coming off midterm week with school on top of work and volunteering, the LSAT is by far my biggest priority and concern. I've been taking about 2-3 PTs a week for a while along with intermediary practice sections for a while now and it's gotten to the point I'm seeing these questions in my dreams (nightmares?) do you think I'm in the preliminary stages of burnout? I've heard it's good to take a break but with less than 2 months I don't see that as much of an option.

I'd love to hear your thoughts because after grading that last PT I'm considering broiling, then eating all my preptest book and PS bibles.

Outliers happen to everyone. Forget about the 159. As for whether or not you're burning out, it's definitely possible. It sounds like you have a very busy schedule. If LSAT really is your main priority, you should try to minimize your stress levels and get plenty of rest. This test is a marathon, and what you do outside of prepping will affect your performance as well.

I'd recommend going a little easier on the practice tests for a few weeks. It's hard to focus on improving your accuracy in specific weak areas if you're spending most of your prep time doing full PTs. If RC is giving you trouble, re-evaluate your approach to the section. Do extra practice sections of RC rather than always going for full PTs. And don't feel like you always have to time yourself - sometimes it's best to take it slow and make sure you're doing it right.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”