Switching to Manhattan prep books mid prep? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
T6orFaneto

New

Switching to Manhattan prep books mid prep?

Post by T6orFaneto » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:25 pm

Hello TLS fam,
This forum has helped a great deal so far (as a lurker/creep), so I figured I would turn to this board for help. I've been studying for the LSAT since January, very slowly since I have been taking 18 credits each semester since my junior year of college while working as well. My prep was going well, but I switched to the newer tests and went from scoring around 167-169 to to 162's and a 164. I pushed my test date from September to February to give myself extra time, as I am aiming for something north of 170 (and I am in no rush to go to law school). I stopped studying for about three weeks, and when I went to do some timed prep today, I was not impressed with my performance: -5 on a LR section, and fucked two logic games up. Now I know I can get back into rythym fairly quickly, but I'm wondering if it might be worth it to grab some new self study books and go back to the basics. My core LSAT skills were never rock solid, so I think it may benefit me in the long run. I initially used the power score books, but I am wondering if I should switch to Manhattan prep. I already have there "10 lsats by question type" book, I am wondering if their methods were a bit less involved then powerscore's. Any help is greatly appreciated.

T6orFaneto

New

Re: Switching to Manhattan prep books mid prep?

Post by T6orFaneto » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:34 pm

To two** 162's

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:40 pm

Everyone's different, but I personally favor Manhattan Prep (over PS).
I started with PowerScore, and the games Bible helped, but I still found other material to be more worthy, like 7Sage.

At this stage, I think going back to square one may or may not be useful, but more so the latter.
I'd recommend going over what you think you should brush up on instead of reading up on entire books, then drill.

If you must rebuild the foundation, you should try out 7Sage's curriculum.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:12 pm

If you have until February, now would be a good time to check out the Manhattan books and see if you like them. Also note that a lot of the more recent tests are more difficult (at least to a lot of people), hence the possible score drop.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:08 pm

I read both the Manhattan Prep books and PowerScore bibles. Some prefer one to the other, but I think they're both helpful. I don't know if reading them will necessarily "change your approach", but getting new insights is always good.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:41 pm

RamTitan wrote:I read both the Manhattan Prep books and PowerScore bibles. Some prefer one to the other, but I think they're both helpful. I don't know if reading them will necessarily "change your approach", but getting new insights is always good.
I am feeling the same way. I did PS BIbles and MH RC for september and going through LG Manhattan in case I need to take Dec, and I feel like they are both helpful in some great ways. Generally speaking, I noticed that going through a second prep-book is much more useful because you are already familiar with the material. I feel like my first run through the LG bible i was still trying to figure out what the fuck a logic game was and thus wasn't able to fully utilize everything. I do really like the way Manhattan lays things out and think its stronger in some ways. Both are great companies

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”