Experimental Section Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MAPP

Bronze

Experimental Section

Post by MAPP » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:02 pm

For those who have taken the LSAT, was it easy to tell which section the experimental was? Or did it feel like any other section and you had to wait to figure out which one it was?

proteinshake

Gold

Re: Experimental Section

Post by proteinshake » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:13 pm

can't tell and you shouldn't try to.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:13 pm

MAPP wrote:For those who have taken the LSAT, was it easy to tell which section the experimental was? Or did it feel like any other section and you had to wait to figure out which one it was?
I couldn't tell which one it was. However, since there were supposed to be 2 LR, 1 LG and 1 RC being graded, I at least knew that one of my LR sections had to be the experimental since I had three of them on my exam. It didn't really help to have figured that out because i just treated them all the same. It's pretty useless to try and guess because then you'll be a fool if you get it wrong and that will reflect in your score lol

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:18 pm

I was literally dreaming about the experimental this morning...

My dream self was thinking, "Oh, my first section was LG, so this second one, being LG, HAS to be the experimental," then skipped it.

...Dumbass. :roll:

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:55 pm

I've taken about fifteen 5-section practice tests and was able to predict which section was experimental on two of them. The giveaway was subject matter in the section that was created relatively recently. For example, in the experimental LR section, one question asked me about use of the term "lol." The experimental RC passage I was able to identify contained a comparative reading passage with excepts published in 2004 and 2007. In some cases, I believe it's possible to have an idea of which section is experimental.

With that being said, I would treat all sections equally. The risk/reward calculation for trying to identify the experimental section is not favorable.
Last edited by TakeItToTrial on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:06 pm

It's not easy to tell from what everyone says, but when I took in June I was able to tell the difference. I wasn't 100% sure but I had a feeling that the experimental RC was in fact experimental because its vibe was a lot harder than the real RC section. Turned out that it actually was the experimental, and either way, i bombed the real one LMAO.

Just treat all sections like they count, because you just never know.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:13 pm

proteinshake wrote:can't tell and you shouldn't try to.
yeah actually I remember one time I had a passage that was by a very famous scientist who is alive (not sure if I'm allowed to say the content) and had a feeling it was the E section, and it was.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:31 pm

I had three LR sections on my June test. I had no idea which was experimental.

I heard the dudes who had two LG sections had a pretty easy time IDing it though...apparently the experimental was A LOT easier than the real thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:33 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:I had three LR sections on my June test. I had no idea which was experimental.

I heard the dudes who had two LG sections had a pretty easy time IDing it though...apparently the experimental was A LOT easier than the real thing.
Really? I remember ayylmao saying his experimental LG was harder? Idk, I might be bugging out. I was one of the only ones on here with an RC experimental. Those fuckers.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:40 pm

TheMikey wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:I had three LR sections on my June test. I had no idea which was experimental.

Really? I remember ayylmao saying his experimental LG was harder? Idk, I might be bugging out. I was one of the only ones on here with an RC experimental. Those fuckers.
Uhhhhh...maybe?? I could've sworn it was easier. Ehhh, either way, the LG folks could ID it.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:48 pm

caitlinrw wrote:
MAPP wrote:For those who have taken the LSAT, was it easy to tell which section the experimental was? Or did it feel like any other section and you had to wait to figure out which one it was?
I couldn't tell which one it was. However, since there were supposed to be 2 LR, 1 LG and 1 RC being graded, I at least knew that one of my LR sections had to be the experimental since I had three of them on my exam. It didn't really help to have figured that out because i just treated them all the same. It's pretty useless to try and guess because then you'll be a fool if you get it wrong and that will reflect in your score lol
This

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:05 pm

It's not easy or even possible to tell, despite what some people will tell you (and believe me, the people who think they can tell the difference will tell you :roll: ), so don't waste your energy trying to figure it out. My hunch is that the LSAT administrators are smart (and cruel) enough to know not to make the experimental section obviously different from the others. I had two RC sections on mine, so I knew that one was the experimental. But when I thought about which one was the experimental, I came up with a good case for both. One seemed pretty easy, with one strange and unconventional passage, while the other was just brutally difficult the whole way through. But then again, judging difficulty on RC passages is often pretty subjective, so who knows if "easy" or "hard" even mean anything in this case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:48 am

Nope, had no idea at all. The only thing I knew was that it was an RC section because I had two of them.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:50 am

Also, I don't remember where I read this but someone guessed which was the experimental section one time and decided not to do the section and was wrong so they bombed a whole section! I don't know why anyone would even be willing to risk it.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:03 am

TakeItToTrial wrote:I've taken about fifteen 5-section practice tests and was able to predict which section was experimental on two of them. The giveaway was subject matter in the section that was created relatively recently. For example, in the experimental LR section, one question asked me about use of the term "lol." The experimental RC passage I was able to identify contained a comparative reading passage with excepts published in 2004 and 2007. In some cases, I believe it's possible to have an idea of which section is experimental.

With that being said, I would treat all sections equally. The risk/reward calculation for trying to identify the experimental section is not favorable.
Sorry, but I do not understand this post at all.

How are you able to identify experimental sections in practice tests?

Are you adding your own? If so, wouldn't those have to be real practice test sections?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:55 pm

dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:I've taken about fifteen 5-section practice tests and was able to predict which section was experimental on two of them. The giveaway was subject matter in the section that was created relatively recently. For example, in the experimental LR section, one question asked me about use of the term "lol." The experimental RC passage I was able to identify contained a comparative reading passage with excepts published in 2004 and 2007. In some cases, I believe it's possible to have an idea of which section is experimental.

Are you adding your own? If so, wouldn't those have to be real practice test sections?
I'm currently taking a prep course through Testmasters, and they give you 5-section practice tests that include the real experimental section. Before Testmasters, I had never seen a 5-section practice test, so I understand where you're coming from.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nate3869

New

Post by nate3869 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:56 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:

I'm currently taking a prep course through Testmasters, and they give you 5-section practice tests that include the real experimental section. Before Testmasters, I had never seen a 5-section practice test, so I understand where you're coming from.
Umm...what? The LSAT doesn't release experimental sections. Testmasters is probably just giving you a section from a different test (probably newer) which is why you're able to tell the difference. You can't tell the difference between experimental and normal sections on the real test (in terms of content) because the sections are all from roughly the same time period.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:11 pm

Okay, glad I understood/misunderstood correctly.
I was wondering why no one else had said anything.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:38 pm

nate3869 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:

Umm...what? The LSAT doesn't release experimental sections. Testmasters is probably just giving you a section from a different test (probably newer) which is why you're able to tell the difference. You can't tell the difference between experimental and normal sections on the real test (in terms of content) because the sections are all from roughly the same time period.
Didn't know that, but it makes sense. However the example I gave above using the term "lol" was actually from the October 2015 LSAT, the actual administration, not a practice test. I guessed it was the experimental while taking the test and was correct.

Not saying it's possible every time, but I was able to guess correctly based on use of newly created language at least once. Maybe I just got lucky.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:12 am

Moral of the story: don't listen to anyone who says they can predict which section is the experimental. You spent too much money on the exam and on prepping to blow your score attempting to cut corners because you "thought" you could tell which was the experimental. Treat all 5 sections the same, and your score will thank you for it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:20 am

As everyone has said, don't try to predict it. I was pretty sure I knew which one was experimental, though - two LG sections and one of them was beyond simple. If I had to guess, they were trying to make sure they had their easy sequencing game as easy as they wanted them to be. leaving the test I just remember thinking, there's no way I got off that easy on LG. I didn't.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:24 am

You shouldn't try to figure out which one was the experiment because it throws you off. Go in there treating the LSAT as an exam with 5 graded sections and prepare for it.

Although as I took the LSATs 3 times, I realized there was something slightly off about some of the sections (which often turned out to be the experimental BUT NOT ALWAYS). For example, one of the LRs had one of those old 2 questions for 1 stem, and one LG section was just 4 basic sequencing games.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:33 pm

caitlinrw wrote:Moral of the story: don't listen to anyone who says they can predict which section is the experimental. You spent too much money on the exam and on prepping to blow your score attempting to cut corners because you "thought" you could tell which was the experimental. Treat all 5 sections the same, and your score will thank you for it.
Except that sometimes it is possible to predict. But as everyone in this thread has said, it would be foolish to not treat all five sections equally.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote: and one LG section was just 4 basic sequencing games.
Haha, that sounds great; substantially better than a logic game experimental section from Hell

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”