Rule Change on Accommodated Testing? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LawTweet

Bronze

Re: Rule Change on Accommodated Testing?

Post by LawTweet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:11 pm

"Dear XXXXXXX:

Until recently, certain administrations of the test used a four-section format, rather than a five section format. This was not an accommodation granted to test takers. It was a practice related to the annotation of scores earned with additional test time. When LSAC stopped annotating such test scores, we changed our practice and now require all test takers to take the five-section format of the test."

This is bullshit. In June, accommodated test takers had four sections when annotation ceased. This feels explicitly untrue.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:50 pm

I think it's important to point out that when LSAC added comparative reading (a much less significant change than ADDING A SECTION), LSAC made a public announcement with press releases eight months in advance.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/ ... t-in-june/

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:11 pm

LawTweet wrote:I think it's important to point out that when LSAC added comparative reading (a much less significant change than ADDING A SECTION), LSAC made a public announcement with press releases eight months in advance.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/ ... t-in-june/
I don't agree that the 2007 change was less significant. Back then, LSAC made a substantive change to the exam--they added a new type of question.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:12 pm

That's fine. It really doesn't matter. The point is that when substantial changes were made to the test in the past, their notification looked entirely different than what notification looks like for this change that *happens* to only affect folks with disabilities.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:14 pm

LawTweet wrote:That's fine. It really doesn't matter. The point is that when substantial changes were made to the test in the past, their notification looked entirely different than what notification looks like for this change that *happens* to only affect folks with disabilities.
And the counterpoint is that this change is not "substantial." They're not testing new material. Anyone preparing under the old system should be just as prepared under the new system.
Last edited by rpupkin on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:14 pm

LawTweet wrote:"Dear XXXXXXX:

Until recently, certain administrations of the test used a four-section format, rather than a five section format. This was not an accommodation granted to test takers. It was a practice related to the annotation of scores earned with additional test time. When LSAC stopped annotating such test scores, we changed our practice and now require all test takers to take the five-section format of the test."

This is bullshit. In June, accommodated test takers had four sections when annotation ceased. This feels explicitly untrue.
February and June, not just June

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:15 pm

^Right. My point being that this is a change that happened long after the changes related to the consent decree.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:17 pm

rpupkin wrote:
LawTweet wrote:That's fine. It really doesn't matter. The point is that when substantial changes were made to the test in the past, their notification looked entirely different than what notification looks like for this change that *happens* to only affect folks with disabilities.
And the counterpoint is that this change is not "substantial." They're not testing new material. Anyone preparing under the old system should be just as prepared under the new system.
Oh yeah, adding an extra hour is totally not "substantial." I'm sure if this change was made to non disabled folks without notification that there would be...oh wait this wouldn't happen if it affected non disabled folks.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:23 pm

#AccomTestsMatter Let's start a movement!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:29 pm

It's not really surprising that they have to make some changes along the way to how they adjust to the consent decree.

Also, I thought the point of accommodations was to address someone's needs for the test. If someone needs (say) extra time for a 4-hour test, presumably their accommodations get adjusted when it goes to a 5-hour test.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It's not really surprising that they have to make some changes along the way to how they adjust to the consent decree.

Also, I thought the point of accommodations was to address someone's needs for the test. If someone needs (say) extra time for a 4-hour test, presumably their accommodations get adjusted when it goes to a 5-hour test.
It's certainly not surprising. Lack of notification is inappropriate though. And yes, the accommodation gets adjusted. There's still extended time for the new section. Breaks are not adjusted. Nor are people given the opportunity to apply for new accommodations like additional breaks because they weren't given enough notice to do so.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Have you asked them if they can reconsider taking new requests (like for breaks) in light of when the announcement was made?

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Yes. Naturally they haven't responded with that. But I do think it would substantially mitigate the damage if they make that change.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JDanger007

New

Post by JDanger007 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:42 pm

I am confused because when I took the exam in 2013 with accommodations, I HAD 5 sections. IS the rule different for different disabilities?...

HAHA whoops, I did have 5 because I was denied like many people during the class action lawsuit period.
Last edited by JDanger007 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Might depend on the accommodation but typically any extended time accommodation took a four-section test plus the writing sample.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:40 pm

yeah just got blindsided with the e-mail. Not happy about it, but, whatever. Just have to power through this last month of prep.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:39 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Have you asked them if they can reconsider taking new requests (like for breaks) in light of when the announcement was made?
Surprise, they won't extend the deadline to request accommodations.

"Unfortunately, as indicated in Frequently Asked Questions About the Process for Requesting Accommodation(s) on the LSAT available here, http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/accommodated-testing/faqs, there are no exceptions to the deadlines."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”