When you should prep for the writing section Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SunDevil14

Bronze

When you should prep for the writing section

Post by SunDevil14 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:34 pm

At what point in your prep should you start devoting a decent amount of time to the writing section?

I know the writing score is not as important but plays a factor in your test. Personally, as a strong writer (basically all I did for undergraduate was write dense philosophy papers) I feel that my precious time studying is better spent elsewhere. Is doing a few timed writing sections a week for a moth until test day adequate prep or am I underscoring the importance of the writing section?

yyyuppp

Bronze

Re: When you should prep for the writing section

Post by yyyuppp » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Don't. It's really not worth putting in the effort.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:48 pm

I really rarely see people talk about prepping for the writing section. If you want, you can look at a few of the past prompts just so you have an idea, but I'm not sure if many people actually include it in their LSAT prep.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:28 pm

when you walk in on test day is when you should start the writing section prep.

i'm not even joking, lol. i always say that a kid in middle school could walk into the LSAT and do well on the writing sample. it's really just common sense when you read the prompt and begin writing.

i looked at a writing sample the day before the june lsat and didn't bother finishing it. i breezed through the writing sample on test day. wish that would've been the case for the sections that count, but ya know ;)

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:14 pm

There really is nothing to prepare for.

Just like how you won't know what questions will ask beforehand, you won't know what the prompt is.

Difference is... This doesn't count. :lol:
No need to worry about it one bit;
taking a look at it is cool, but no practice is necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:13 pm

Never

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:37 am

SunDevil14 wrote:At what point in your prep should you start devoting a decent amount of time to the writing section?

I know the writing score is not as important but plays a factor in your test. Personally, as a strong writer (basically all I did for undergraduate was write dense philosophy papers) I feel that my precious time studying is better spent elsewhere. Is doing a few timed writing sections a week for a moth until test day adequate prep or am I underscoring the importance of the writing section?
A decent amount of time? As in 2-5 minutes to read this? It doesn't affect your score or even getting into law school... unless if you intentionally write something stupid (such as "I know that you aren't going to read this so let me list my favorite vegetables." - fairly true story that a student was being admitted into either Yale, NYU, or Columbia until at the last second the adcomm glanced at his writing sample, and that is nearly exactly what it said... but a bit more inappropriate. The decision was reversed and he was not admitted).

So just don't stray off topic and you should do fine.

I would suggest the two paragraph, winner/loser format - you are not writing a 5 paragraph essay here:

Winner/Loser Format – writing a 2 paragraph response
• Very 1st sentence of 1st paragraph is you stating your choice. Short sentences are not dumb!
• State position, then all of the reasons why
o In the very LAST sentence, acknowledge weakness if it is clear and obvious (DISARM the opposition – spin it)

Loser Paragraph
• Right from the beginning, acknowledge any strength “Sure, going to the museum of natural history may seems like a good family vacation, however it is narrow in scope and if the kids get bored you will lose them.”
• Loser
• Then, restate you position in the final sentence
• Do not be afraid to use STRONG language ( not “I think” or “In my opinion”)

Literally takes 10 minutes to complete

SunDevil14

Bronze

Post by SunDevil14 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:56 am

bmathers wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:At what point in your prep should you start devoting a decent amount of time to the writing section?

A decent amount of time? As in 2-5 minutes to read this? It doesn't affect your score or even getting into law school... unless if you intentionally write something stupid (such as "I know that you aren't going to read this so let me list my favorite vegetables." - fairly true story that a student was being admitted into either Yale, NYU, or Columbia until at the last second the adcomm glanced at his writing sample, and that is nearly exactly what it said... but a bit more inappropriate. The decision was reversed and he was not admitted).

So just don't stray off topic and you should do fine.

I would suggest the two paragraph, winner/loser format - you are not writing a 5 paragraph essay here:

Winner/Loser Format – writing a 2 paragraph response
• Very 1st sentence of 1st paragraph is you stating your choice. Short sentences are not dumb!
• State position, then all of the reasons why
o In the very LAST sentence, acknowledge weakness if it is clear and obvious (DISARM the opposition – spin it)

Loser Paragraph
• Right from the beginning, acknowledge any strength “Sure, going to the museum of natural history may seems like a good family vacation, however it is narrow in scope and if the kids get bored you will lose them.”
• Loser
• Then, restate you position in the final sentence
• Do not be afraid to use STRONG language ( not “I think” or “In my opinion”)

Literally takes 10 minutes to complete
This was what I originally presumed. Pick a side. State which side you are choosing and mention the pros in a few sentences, then mention the con's in the last sentences. State the opposing side list the pros, and finish with the cons. Perhaps a brief paragraph at the end why the 1st side is better to the other. I apprehend that so long as you come up with some dribble that mentions the main points and makes sense then the writing proportion will not hinder your application any more than an impressive debate explained in as much time as permitted will improve your application.

In any event, the week leading up to the test:
1 practice section is sufficient.
2 practice sections is above and beyond the call of duty
3 practice sections and beyond is a poor use of study time

-At least that is what I am getting from this thread

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:08 am

PatriotP74 wrote:Never
^^

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:22 pm

Never. You're overestimating the importance of that section. It doesn't count towards your score and there is a low chance that the admission committees will even read it. Schools will use your personal statement + any optional essays to judge your writing ability. Adcomms have plenty of applications to look at and materials to go through for each student, and the writing sample rarely makes the cut.

If you're feeling nervous about it, practice one section to get a feeling of what it's about. I'd recommend spending a few minutes drawing up a quick outline before actually writing the essay. List your points in favor of the side you're arguing for, and draft some counterpoints if you can think of any. Support the side for which you're able to come up with a stronger argument.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:09 pm

I say don't at all. I took a prep class, and we looked at one sample topic, and we just outlined an essay, and that was it. Compared with everything actually getting scored that you could study for, the writing section isn't worth a lot of energy. In my opinion, you'll probably feel much more comfortable on the day of the test, as long as you have a general idea of how to start the essay and making sure you can argue the side you pick, and knowing how to address the flaws in your side even while making it the preferable choice.

ready2attend

New

Post by ready2attend » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Some people practice for the writing sample? Surely this is a joke, right?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:24 am

Blueprint Mithun wrote:

Never. You're overestimating the importance of that section. It doesn't count towards your score and there is a low chance that the admission committees will even read it. Schools will use your personal statement + any optional essays to judge your writing ability. Adcomms have plenty of applications to look at and materials to go through for each student, and the writing sample rarely makes the cut.

If you're feeling nervous about it, practice one section to get a feeling of what it's about. I'd recommend spending a few minutes drawing up a quick outline before actually writing the essay. List your points in favor of the side you're arguing for, and draft some counterpoints if you can think of any. Support the side for which you're able to come up with a stronger argument.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:56 am

Absolutely do not prep. It is the lowest of all concerns. Just write something intelligible. I did not spend a single moment prepping for my writing section and it did not affect me at all.

Don't sacrifice a second of study time for the dumb writing section.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:38 pm

The best time to start is on the test day!

SunDevil14

Bronze

Post by SunDevil14 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:09 pm

I suppose never really does mean never.

It's honestly a bit sad that you ability to "order ice cream trucks on each day of the week according to flavor and neighborhood" :roll: is more important than conveying an argument in writing when it comes to the LSAT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”