study plan for September LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NigeranOU

Bronze

study plan for September LSAT

Post by NigeranOU » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:46 pm

Hello, can someone pm me? I would like to hear different strategies to attack the LSAT. I am looking to hear about a daily study routine that I could commit to. Please help

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: study plan for September LSAT

Post by Barack O'Drama » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:19 am

NigeranOU wrote:Hello, can someone pm me? I would like to hear different strategies to attack the LSAT. I am looking to hear about a daily study routine that I could commit to. Please help

PM sent
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:36 am

NigeranOU wrote:Hello, can someone pm me? I would like to hear different strategies to attack the LSAT. I am looking to hear about a daily study routine that I could commit to. Please help
writing up a pm for you now

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:37 am

mwells56 wrote:
writing up a pm for you now
THANKS <3

ahoward9

New

Post by ahoward9 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:53 pm

Hello! I just started this week. I have the logical reasoning bible. I'm only on ch.4, just reading everything first and taking notes on important points. Logical Reasoning is 50 percent of the test so I'm starting there. I have the older versions like 2011 powerscore logic reasoning and logic games books bc that's all I can afford. When I get paid il go ahead n get the newer versions. I'm going to take in Sept. I'm shooting for fall 2017. My gpa is low low like 2.45 mass communication undergrad. I know I'm going to need at least a 165 on the lsat. Any suggestions on what score I would need to get on lsat to get into law school? I live in Tulsa. I want to go to Tulsa University.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:12 am

ahoward9 wrote:I'm going to take in Sept. I'm shooting for fall 2017. My gpa is low low like 2.45 mass communication undergrad. I know I'm going to need at least a 165 on the lsat. Any suggestions on what score I would need to get on lsat to get into law school? I live in Tulsa. I want to go to Tulsa University.
Check out mylsn.info

It's a great resource to help you understand your options and likely outcomes. Running your numbers, it looks like a 155 will probably get you into Tulsa with a little $. A 160 will probably get you into OU and $$ at Tulsa. 165 starts to open up some interesting out-of-state options like SMU with $$ (useful if you're wanting to make a play for Dallas biglaw).

ahoward9

New

Post by ahoward9 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:42 am

Thank you so much! I will check that out tonight, I'm new to all this so...lol thanks again :)

tzzzok

New

Post by tzzzok » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:51 am

ahoward9 wrote:Hello! I just started this week. I have the logical reasoning bible. I'm only on ch.4, just reading everything first and taking notes on important points. Logical Reasoning is 50 percent of the test so I'm starting there. I have the older versions like 2011 powerscore logic reasoning and logic games books bc that's all I can afford. When I get paid il go ahead n get the newer versions. I'm going to take in Sept. I'm shooting for fall 2017. My gpa is low low like 2.45 mass communication undergrad. I know I'm going to need at least a 165 on the lsat. Any suggestions on what score I would need to get on lsat to get into law school? I live in Tulsa. I want to go to Tulsa University.
Just wondering, why are you taking the LSAT so soon? If you plan on applying next year, you have can test in Dec, Feb, and Jun. Two months of cramming is tedious work.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:19 am

tzzzok wrote:
ahoward9 wrote:Hello! I just started this week. I have the logical reasoning bible. I'm only on ch.4, just reading everything first and taking notes on important points. Logical Reasoning is 50 percent of the test so I'm starting there. I have the older versions like 2011 powerscore logic reasoning and logic games books bc that's all I can afford. When I get paid il go ahead n get the newer versions. I'm going to take in Sept. I'm shooting for fall 2017. My gpa is low low like 2.45 mass communication undergrad. I know I'm going to need at least a 165 on the lsat. Any suggestions on what score I would need to get on lsat to get into law school? I live in Tulsa. I want to go to Tulsa University.
Just wondering, why are you taking the LSAT so soon? If you plan on applying next year, you have can test in Dec, Feb, and Jun. Two months of cramming is tedious work.
Don't know exactly what this person's circumstances are, but I'm also trying to take this September and apply in the 2017-18 cycle. The December test is only a week before my finals, the February test is also in the middle of the semester/they don't release the test, and June is just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long from now, and I'd have to start studying at around finals time.

More convenient for me to study this summer where after I'm done with my internship this week I have no commitments for 5 weeks until I go back to campus. Then the September test is only like 3 weeks into the semester so classes haven't really vamped up yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tzzzok

New

Post by tzzzok » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:33 am

mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:
Don't know exactly what this person's circumstances are, but I'm also trying to take this September and apply in the 2017-18 cycle. The December test is only a week before my finals, the February test is also in the middle of the semester/they don't release the test, and June is just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long from now, and I'd have to start studying at around finals time.

More convenient for me to study this summer where after I'm done with my internship this week I have no commitments for 5 weeks until I go back to campus. Then the September test is only like 3 weeks into the semester so classes haven't really vamped up yet.
That makes sense. My school gets back super late for winter break so I have a February bias for sure.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:38 am

mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:

You could just take it next September and apply right when your scores come out. You'd still be pretty early in the cycle (before November) and give yourself another year and summer to really bang out this exam. I just really feel that based on what's at stake for an LSAT score, this is an exam that should never be rushed...especially for the sake of convenience. I mean this is your money and your lifelong career we're talking about and an exam that strongly impacts your trajectory in both of those things.

Its your life obviously and you'll do what you want, but I don't objectively see what you have to lose by taking the exam next September. It being far away shouldn't be relevant since you're taking a gap year anyway.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:44 am

tzzzok wrote:
mwells56 wrote: Don't know exactly what this person's circumstances are, but I'm also trying to take this September and apply in the 2017-18 cycle. The December test is only a week before my finals, the February test is also in the middle of the semester/they don't release the test, and June is just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long from now, and I'd have to start studying at around finals time.

That makes sense. My school gets back super late for winter break so I have a February bias for sure.
Yeah, my school's on a really weird schedule. We start classes the day after Labor Day, end fall finals like 2 days before Christmas and only get around 2 weeks off, and then end winter finals are the last week of April. So we literally have the entirety of May, June, July, and August off. Personally I like this schedule because I was able to go abroad for 10 weeks and still had 8 cumulative weeks to work/chill, even though the short winter break kinda sucks.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:50 am

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:

You could just take it next September and apply right when your scores come out. You'd still be pretty early in the cycle (before November) and give yourself another year and summer to really bang out this exam. I just really feel that based on what's at stake for an LSAT score, this is an exam that should never be rushed...especially for the sake of convenience. I mean this is your money and your lifelong career we're talking about and an exam that strongly impacts your trajectory in both of those things.

Its your life obviously and you'll do what you want, but I don't objectively see what you have to lose by taking the exam next September. It being far away shouldn't be relevant since you're taking a gap year anyway.
I'm not taking a gap year...?

Well I haven't signed up for the test yet because I want to get a few more PTs in before I completely decide but I'm still pretty set on it. But I'll have studied for about 3 months when test day rolls around, and I figured that the worst that happens is that I'll retake in June. I'll probably be relatively borderline for CCN and I really want CLS/NYU so I want to apply as early as possible.

Also the luxury of being able to go through my entire junior year without having to worry about the LSAT and can use that mental energy boosting my GPA is something I would like to have. My motivation to do well and study a lot is pretty high right now but--knowing myself--the longer I wait the less patient I'll become. My original plan was to start studying when I got back from being abroad and then take a class when I got back to school, but after doing well on my diagnostic and reading TLS I felt pretty confident I could hit my target score in time for the September test.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tzzzok

New

Post by tzzzok » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:18 am

mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:
mwells56 wrote: Don't know exactly what this person's circumstances are, but I'm also trying to take this September and apply in the 2017-18 cycle. The December test is only a week before my finals, the February test is also in the middle of the semester/they don't release the test, and June is just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long from now, and I'd have to start studying at around finals time.

Yeah, my school's on a really weird schedule. We start classes the day after Labor Day, end fall finals like 2 days before Christmas and only get around 2 weeks off, and then end winter finals are the last week of April. So we literally have the entirety of May, June, July, and August off. Personally I like this schedule because I was able to go abroad for 10 weeks and still had 8 cumulative weeks to work/chill, even though the short winter break kinda sucks.
Oh UMich...

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:20 am

mwells56 wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:

I'm not taking a gap year...?

Well I haven't signed up for the test yet because I want to get a few more PTs in before I completely decide but I'm still pretty set on it. But I'll have studied for about 3 months when test day rolls around, and I figured that the worst that happens is that I'll retake in June. I'll probably be relatively borderline for CCN and I really want CLS/NYU so I want to apply as early as possible.

Also the luxury of being able to go through my entire junior year without having to worry about the LSAT and can use that mental energy boosting my GPA is something I would like to have. My motivation to do well and study a lot is pretty high right now but--knowing myself--the longer I wait the less patient I'll become. My original plan was to start studying when I got back from being abroad and then take a class when I got back to school, but after doing well on my diagnostic and reading TLS I felt pretty confident I could hit my target score in time for the September test.
Sorry I must've misread or confused you with another user who said they were taking a gap year.

In any case, its your life so you know much better than I would what will be best for you. I just like to personally advise taking as much time as you can with this test because even though you can probably manage time between school and class, its a lot harder than you may think. Its hard because you're using so much intellectual real estate already with school and then adding the LSAT prep on top is kind of like cramming an extra hard class on top of your schedule...and that's the best way I can put it.

Also, for the schools you mentioned it wouldn't be a bad idea to take your time. While I'm sure you're capable and you've probably matched up the numbers, don't underestimate this exam. Don't overestimate your study schedule and don't assume that you will glide to your exam unimpeded by random life events, bullshit and other distracting ass things. That can always happen no matter what, but with school going on its a lot more likely. And for those schools you don't want to unnecessarily sacrifice points, even on a first try. Trust me when I say you don't need to be in any rush to take this exam, ESPECIALLY in the fall of your junior year. Once again, its your life, but I just don't think being impatient is nearly a good enough reason to take it now.

Also re: but after doing well on my diagnostic and reading TLS I felt pretty confident I could hit my target score in time for the September test

Don't fall into this trap. As I mentioned above, to assume you're going to score at a certain range in 3 months merely based off of a diagnostic is foolish at best. Don't fuck yourself over. Listen, I get it. You are probably smart as hell. But you have to realize that everyone else on TLS (majority) is also a smart, hard working person too and they would give you the same advice. This exam is deceptively hard and points become more and more difficult to come by as your range increases.

I'm not saying you can't get your score. I know you can. I just don't think you're giving yourself enough time to get there and unless you're really up against a deadline or you have to enroll for Fall 2017 all or nothing for some personal reasons, you're just unnecessarily robbing yourself out of a better LSAT performance. Think about it, you're aiming for 160's right now...Why? You have the ability to get into the 170's. Fuck CCN, why not Harvard? You're entering Junior year so you can really hone in on your grades and just kill it. Get decent job after school for a year and just study for the LSAT and murder it and apply to Harvard with a Bachelor's, 4 complete years of grades, WE and probably a deeper, matured application from the result of hacking it that year by yourself.

Do as you please but do YOURSELF the justice of not just scheduling this test haphazardly on the account of 'impatience'. I see your ambitions and you want some good things. But those good things are only going to come if you're patient and humble minded about this. I've seen too many people take unnecessarily difficult routes on account of their natural intellect and just assuming 'it'll be fine'. Remember, a lot of those CCN kids you're running against will be taking their sweet time studying for this exam and taking every extra week and month that you forfeited to study rigorously and thoroughly and they are just as smart as you are. Just think very carefully about this. Look at your study schedule, your diagnostic and take a PT in the next couple days and look at the score and ask yourself "Can I HONESTLY see me being here by mid-September? Or am I just assuming I'm going to do whatever it takes and somehow I'll pull out the score I want?" If its the latter, then just wait. If you're PT'ing at a 155 (just throwing numbers out here) and your goal is 170 for September, that probably isn't happening. I think you'd be able to get it in December. Hell, maybe even October. But September? When you have all the time in the world? Wouldn't be able to wrap my head around that.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:28 am

tzzzok wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:

Oh UMich...
And proud.

tzzzok

New

Post by tzzzok » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:39 am

mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:

Oh UMich...
And proud.
I'm from SE Michigan so Ann Arbor will always hold a special place in my heart. There's nothing quite like waiting half an hour in line for a $20 sandwich, that's for sure.

Sorry -- thread derailed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
mwells56 wrote: I'm not taking a gap year...?

Sorry I must've misread or confused you with another user who said they were taking a gap year.

In any case, its your life so you know much better than I would what will be best for you. I just like to personally advise taking as much time as you can with this test because even though you can probably manage time between school and class, its a lot harder than you may think. Its hard because you're using so much intellectual real estate already with school and then adding the LSAT prep on top is kind of like cramming an extra hard class on top of your schedule...and that's the best way I can put it.

Also, for the schools you mentioned it wouldn't be a bad idea to take your time. While I'm sure you're capable and you've probably matched up the numbers, don't underestimate this exam. Don't overestimate your study schedule and don't assume that you will glide to your exam unimpeded by random life events, bullshit and other distracting ass things. That can always happen no matter what, but with school going on its a lot more likely. And for those schools you don't want to unnecessarily sacrifice points, even on a first try. Trust me when I say you don't need to be in any rush to take this exam, ESPECIALLY in the fall of your junior year. Once again, its your life, but I just don't think being impatient is nearly a good enough reason to take it now.

Also re: but after doing well on my diagnostic and reading TLS I felt pretty confident I could hit my target score in time for the September test

Don't fall into this trap. As I mentioned above, to assume you're going to score at a certain range in 3 months merely based off of a diagnostic is foolish at best. Don't fuck yourself over. Listen, I get it. You are probably smart as hell. But you have to realize that everyone else on TLS (majority) is also a smart, hard working person too and they would give you the same advice. This exam is deceptively hard and points become more and more difficult to come by as your range increases.

I'm not saying you can't get your score. I know you can. I just don't think you're giving yourself enough time to get there and unless you're really up against a deadline or you have to enroll for Fall 2017 all or nothing for some personal reasons, you're just unnecessarily robbing yourself out of a better LSAT performance. Think about it, you're aiming for 160's right now...Why? You have the ability to get into the 170's. Fuck CCN, why not Harvard? You're entering Junior year so you can really hone in on your grades and just kill it. Get decent job after school for a year and just study for the LSAT and murder it and apply to Harvard with a Bachelor's, 4 complete years of grades, WE and probably a deeper, matured application from the result of hacking it that year by yourself.

Do as you please but do YOURSELF the justice of not just scheduling this test haphazardly on the account of 'impatience'. I see your ambitions and you want some good things. But those good things are only going to come if you're patient and humble minded about this. I've seen too many people take unnecessarily difficult routes on account of their natural intellect and just assuming 'it'll be fine'. Remember, a lot of those CCN kids you're running against will be taking their sweet time studying for this exam and taking every extra week and month that you forfeited to study rigorously and thoroughly and they are just as smart as you are. Just think very carefully about this. Look at your study schedule, your diagnostic and take a PT in the next couple days and look at the score and ask yourself "Can I HONESTLY see me being here by mid-September? Or am I just assuming I'm going to do whatever it takes and somehow I'll pull out the score I want?" If its the latter, then just wait. If you're PT'ing at a 155 (just throwing numbers out here) and your goal is 170 for September, that probably isn't happening. I think you'd be able to get it in December. Hell, maybe even October. But September? When you have all the time in the world? Wouldn't be able to wrap my head around that.
Hey man I feel how much you really care in this post and I really appreciate it. That's what TLS is all about. But a few things...

When did I say I was aiming for 160s? Unless you went back to like my very first post when I didn't really know what I was talking about and said I wanted a 168+, my goals have changed since I've learned more. I'm shooting for a 172+. My diagnostic was a 157. I've taken one other PT since then and it was a 160 (164 after BR). I don't think hitting into the 170s with over 2 more months of prep to go is too much of a reach at all.

Like I said I haven't registered for the test yet and don't plan on registering until the very last day. I actually posted at some point asking if it were possible to cancel a registration/how close up until test day you can do that. So I'm with you. I'm not just taking September because lol fuck it you feel? If I'm at where I want to be by registration date, I'm going to register, if I'm not, I'm going to wait. This was already my plan. And like I said earlier, worst that happens is I don't do as well as I want the first go around, I can retake later.

And as far as "why not Harvard", honestly I have absolutely 0 desire to go to HYS. I grew up on Long Island so I've always wanted to spend my 20's in the city. Even if I were to somehow get into Harvard AND Columbia, I'd almost definitely choose CLS. That might seem a little silly to a lot of people, but I'm really not concerned with the advantages Harvard would have over Columbia or probably even NYU.

As far as taking a gap year, I think I can reach my goals without having to take one, so I don't see much of a point in taking one.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:53 am

tzzzok wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
tzzzok wrote:

Oh UMich...
And proud.
I'm from SE Michigan so Ann Arbor will always hold a special place in my heart. There's nothing quite like waiting half an hour in line for a $20 sandwich, that's for sure.

Sorry -- thread derailed.
Zingerman's: for whenever your family comes to town so you don't have to pay for it yourself.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:33 am

mwells56 wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

Hey man I feel how much you really care in this post and I really appreciate it. That's what TLS is all about. But a few things...

When did I say I was aiming for 160s? Unless you went back to like my very first post when I didn't really know what I was talking about and said I wanted a 168+, my goals have changed since I've learned more. I'm shooting for a 172+. My diagnostic was a 157. I've taken one other PT since then and it was a 160 (164 after BR). I don't think hitting into the 170s with over 2 more months of prep to go is too much of a reach at all.

Like I said I haven't registered for the test yet and don't plan on registering until the very last day. I actually posted at some point asking if it were possible to cancel a registration/how close up until test day you can do that. So I'm with you. I'm not just taking September because lol fuck it you feel? If I'm at where I want to be by registration date, I'm going to register, if I'm not, I'm going to wait. This was already my plan. And like I said earlier, worst that happens is I don't do as well as I want the first go around, I can retake later.

And as far as "why not Harvard", honestly I have absolutely 0 desire to go to HYS. I grew up on Long Island so I've always wanted to spend my 20's in the city. Even if I were to somehow get into Harvard AND Columbia, I'd almost definitely choose CLS. That might seem a little silly to a lot of people, but I'm really not concerned with the advantages Harvard would have over Columbia or probably even NYU.

As far as taking a gap year, I think I can reach my goals without having to take one, so I don't see much of a point in taking one.

If you feel you'll rise to 172+ then more power to you. You're gonna have to make up a 20 question per test difference in two months, with school going on to hit that range in September. That's a lot. If you don't want HYS then fuck em. Regardless, if you want Columbia you should be patient & plan this out in a way that guarantees your best performance instead of purely assuming you'll make the progression to 172+ naturally over a 2 month period.

And if you want 170+, you honestly should be PTing there by the beginning of September at least. I'm just being serious. And I normally don't like to back & forth about stuff like this but I feel compelled to really get you to strongly reconsider your decision to take this in September given where you are right now. If you were scoring consistent 165s I'd be iffy about it, but from 160 is going to take multiple hours a day from this point on at the very least.

If you're gonna go for it, my recommendation is there shouldn't be another day between now & the test that you haven't done some legitimate work/studying on this exam, like 2 hour session. This exam isn't like undergrad stuff where you can cram for it & just ace it. It doesn't work like that trust me.

Just take your time and make Columbia a guarantee. This is a big deal bro and a big part of your life. Take the extra time that's afforded to you & just make sure you bang out high numbers.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:56 am

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

If you feel you'll rise to 172+ then more power to you. You're gonna have to make up a 20 question per test difference in two months, with school going on to hit that range in September. That's a lot. If you don't want HYS then fuck em. Regardless, if you want Columbia you should be patient & plan this out in a way that guarantees your best performance instead of purely assuming you'll make the progression to 172+ naturally over a 2 month period.

And if you want 170+, you honestly should be PTing there by the beginning of September at least. I'm just being serious. And I normally don't like to back & forth about stuff like this but I feel compelled to really get you to strongly reconsider your decision to take this in September given where you are right now. If you were scoring consistent 165s I'd be iffy about it, but from 160 is going to take multiple hours a day from this point on at the very least.

If you're gonna go for it, my recommendation is there shouldn't be another day between now & the test that you haven't done some legitimate work/studying on this exam, like 2 hour session. This exam isn't like undergrad stuff where you can cram for it & just ace it. It doesn't work like that trust me.

Just take your time and make Columbia a guarantee. This is a big deal bro and a big part of your life. Take the extra time that's afforded to you & just make sure you bang out high numbers.
I've been doing about 2-3 hours a day for the last month so far and don't plan on slowing down. I know what it's going to take. I've got a plan, I'm sticking to it. If you want to look through my old posts I put up my entire study plan at one point. If you want to shoot me a PM we can hash this out in a little more detail.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”