Can test center choice really affect my score? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
olikatz

Bronze

Can test center choice really affect my score?

Post by olikatz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:03 pm

I caught something in another post that said to select the best test center to get an optimal score. I was under the impression they were all the same in the sense that they follow the same procedures and what not and would therefore be a similar experience. My options when registering were a few local law schools and a community college. I chose the CC because its like 5 minutes from my house and I am familiar with parking,building locations, etc. I'm wondering if the fact that it is at a CC and not a law school affect my scoring potential. What kind of differences could there be?

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Can test center choice really affect my score?

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:07 pm

olikatz wrote:I caught something in another post that said to select the best test center to get an optimal score. I was under the impression they were all the same in the sense that they follow the same procedures and what not and would therefore be a similar experience. My options when registering were a few local law schools and a community college. I chose the CC because its like 5 minutes from my house and I am familiar with parking,building locations, etc. I'm wondering if the fact that it is at a CC and not a law school affect my scoring potential. What kind of differences could there be?
Yea. Bad move. The aura in the law schools and the sweat from the butts of dirty law students can really help you work better on the lsat. You just soak up, through osmosis, the intelligence that is law students. Cc kids dont have that kind of ambiance

bern victim

Silver

Post by bern victim » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:08 pm

yes, though the exact mechanism depends on your views on waveform collapse. but whatever your preferred interpretation of quantum mechanics, it is clear that the choice of testing center impacts your future timeline where you receive your score. if it's any consolation, though, your choice of testing center is likely predetermined, so you needn't stress about the decision.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Yes, test center choice can affect your school but not if it's a CC or law school but for all the reasons you intuitively vetted: convenience, familiarity, etc.

Also desk size is a big factor for me. if you end up taking it on one of those tiny half-desks, chances are you won't score as highly in a more comfortable, larger-tabled setting.

jl9714

New

Post by jl9714 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:32 pm

It affected mine.

I took the LSAT three times, the last one being June 2016. I dropped two points from my December 2015 take, and while it wasn't completely due to the test center, I'm certain it played a part. This time I was at a community college and there were numerous distractions in my room. People (other proctors) going in and out of the room, talking to our proctor, etc. The test began with our proctors having a conversation with one another, which I think put me in bad place to begin with.

I'm still trying to do a post mortem on that test because it was a complete and utter disaster (scored 5-6 below my PT average), but I am positive the location had something to do with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jl9714

New

Post by jl9714 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:36 pm

That said I don't think there's any real way to strategize when it comes to testing centers. Just hope for the best. Two out of three times were fine for me, but one of em sucked.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:42 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Yes, test center choice can affect your school but not if it's a CC or law school but for all the reasons you intuitively vetted: convenience, familiarity, etc.

Also desk size is a big factor for me. if you end up taking it on one of those tiny half-desks, chances are you won't score as highly in a more comfortable, larger-tabled setting.
+1. But dont worry about length, mostly just girth

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:59 pm

Yup. Although that's usually out of your control, you can mitigate that by doing some research.
I chose my UG since I'm familiar with the rooms; no windows, so no sirens or outside interference.
Plus, I've taken so many tests in those rooms that it'd just be natural for me.
My one gripe would probably be the desks, but it shouldn't be too much of a factor.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:15 pm

There are some things you can learn about by talking to previous takers, that could affect your score. One center here has people sit at long tables vs desks that shake. Some have overly loud AC units, that kind of stuff. Proctors can be more chill than others as well. Stuff that is partly out of your control.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:04 pm

There's always going to be variables. I decided to take mine at my UG, even though I'm pretty sure I am going to end up with shitty-small-fold out desks. I just value the comfort of location and familiarity. Things like, temperature, desk size, arm space, how far it is from home can all affect your score.

Just do a little research for your test site. There may very well be some info out there.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:There's always going to be variables. I decided to take mine at my UG, even though I'm pretty sure I am going to end up with shitty-small-fold out desks. I just value the comfort of location and familiarity. Things like, temperature, desk size, arm space, how far it is from home can all affect your score.

Just do a little research for your test site. There may very well be some info out there.
Think you're making a big mistake. Sucks having to have your answer sheet on your lap because the desk can only fit half your test booklet. Unless you've taken practice tests on these types of desks and haven't had problems, I'd recommend switching centers.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:43 pm

StopLawying wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:There's always going to be variables. I decided to take mine at my UG, even though I'm pretty sure I am going to end up with shitty-small-fold out desks. I just value the comfort of location and familiarity. Things like, temperature, desk size, arm space, how far it is from home can all affect your score.

Think you're making a big mistake. Sucks having to have your answer sheet on your lap because the desk can only fit half your test booklet. Unless you've taken practice tests on these types of desks and haven't had problems, I'd recommend switching centers.

Well I'm not sure because the reviews of the test center say they are in the lecture centers, but in the ones that have long-row tables instead of individual desks. However, my concern is that the review for the center was written in 2009... So perhaps it has changed. In any case, I am going to try to dig into it a bit more, and if it indeed has the small-desks I'm fearing, I will probably switch my center to the TTT Law school down the street. I just know myself well enough to know I would do better where I'm familiar and comfortable, rather than in a place/area further away. Just how I roll 8)

I completely understand how terrible it must be to have your damn answer sheet on your lap...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:12 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
StopLawying wrote:

Well I'm not sure because the reviews of the test center say they are in the lecture centers, but in the ones that have long-row tables instead of individual desks. However, my concern is that the review for the center was written in 2009... So perhaps it has changed. In any case, I am going to try to dig into it a bit more, and if it indeed has the small-desks I'm fearing, I will probably switch my center to the TTT Law school down the street. I just know myself well enough to know I would do better where I'm familiar and comfortable, rather than in a place/area further away. Just how I roll 8)

I completely understand how terrible it must be to have your damn answer sheet on your lap...

Where do I find reviews of test centers and how reliable are they? Aren't testing rooms subject to change?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:28 pm

olikatz wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
StopLawying wrote:

Where do I find reviews of test centers and how reliable are they? Aren't testing rooms subject to change?

http://www.simugator.com/lsat-test-site-rater.php

There is a site to check and see if your center is on there..

Yeah, I am sure they are subject to change, but I'm guessing it is rare. My reasoning in that they probably have more or less designated rooms that they always use. For instance, my undergrad uses the lecture centers. You can never be 100% sure though. I bet you can call and find out perhaps as the test date gets closer.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:38 pm

Yeah, I read some reviews earlier today... Some good, some bad, but that's expected.
I'll still stick by my initial choice simply because it's more convenient since I know the place inside-out.
Translation: y'all better test me in one of the lecture halls and not some room where the light will go out.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:21 pm

It's not as big as a deal as some people make it out to be. Take practice tests in a public library, and you'll be fine if any distractions arise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”