how many "trial&error"Qs do you have on LG? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cocoandcoconuts

New

how many "trial&error"Qs do you have on LG?

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering...how many questions do you usually use "trial&error" on LG questions (on average)?
For example..."If F audition is not scheduled to begin at 1pm which one of the following could be true?" (PT 56, Game 1 Q5.)
How do you find the answer for this question?
Is there any strategies for this kind of Q, or just trial&error? :(

Thanks,

proteinshake

Gold

Re: how many "trial&error"Qs do you have on LG?

Post by proteinshake » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:27 pm

I haven't looked at the game because I haven't PT'd it yet, but for questions that introduce a condition (if..), rewrite a new diagram and the inferences that follow from the new condition. So you would place a 'not F' mark under 1pm and then see what consequences follow from that. For example if a rule states that 'F must be before M,' this would be M can't be right after 1pm, since this would force F into the 1pm slot, and that isn't allowed! Since the question is what 'could be true' you want to use process of elimination. the incorrect answer choices for a question like this will be one that 'must be false.' eliminate these answer choices by using the inferences you made from your new diagram. DO NOT proceed to the question without figuring out all the inferences you can make by placing the 'not F' under 1pm! :mrgreen:

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:53 pm

Well...actually I was not able to get specific inferences from the new condition...watched some videos but all of them kind of implied that we have to try out each answer choice...so just wondered whether all ppl would do the same or there is some kind of inference I missed.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:28 pm

cocoandcoconuts wrote:Well...actually I was not able to get specific inferences from the new condition...watched some videos but all of them kind of implied that we have to try out each answer choice...so just wondered whether all ppl would do the same or there is some kind of inference I missed.

After you practice a ton of games, you'll get better at realizing the inferences quick, and sometimes in your head. For example when I get a CBT question with an "If J is in 5th" I do what protein shake said and scan the answers and usually can eliminate 1-2 from the original inferences. For example, lets say you know J has to come before G. Then any any choice with G first through fourth can be eliminated.

Little things like this help to cut down on time when you need to brute force/trail and error questions. Also once your intuition develops you'll realize one or two answer choices jump out at you, and you should trust yourself, and try those first. You'd be surprised how often you are right...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
cocoandcoconuts wrote:Well...actually I was not able to get specific inferences from the new condition...watched some videos but all of them kind of implied that we have to try out each answer choice...so just wondered whether all ppl would do the same or there is some kind of inference I missed.

After you practice a ton of games, you'll get better at realizing the inferences quick, and sometimes in your head. For example when I get a CBT question with an "If J is in 5th" I do what protein shake said and scan the answers and usually can eliminate 1-2 from the original inferences. For example, lets say you know J has to come before G. Then any any choice with G first through fourth can be eliminated.

Little things like this help to cut down on time when you need to brute force/trail and error questions. Also once your intuition develops you'll realize one or two answer choices jump out at you, and you should trust yourself, and try those first. You'd be surprised how often you are right...
Okay...thanks for the reply :)

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:00 pm

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”