How to quell Anxeity/outside noise? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lillawyer2

Silver

How to quell Anxeity/outside noise?

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:01 am

I have two minor things bugging me...even though I understand they are minor I can't shake them.

1. Im 23. I will go to LS 2017. I take the June LSAT. My mother keeps reiterating that if I had went to LS directly from undergrad, I would have been done already. I try to explain to her that I needed these years off to see that Law is what I really want to do. I needed to mature ALOT. I didnt realize how much I didnt know about the world. How much I didnt know about people and how to maneuver. Im also highly emotional and the legal field and most aggressive careers dont have time for people who cry and get slighted easily. I had to learn to pick up the pieces quickly and keep it moving. I tell my mom that I will graduate LS when Im 26-27. She tells me i'll be old then. It drives me nuts! I internally go crazy at the prospect of graduating at this age that Im thinking of all the ways to potentially graduate early and regretting my decision to take time off. I know its nuts but I can't seem to shake it.

2. Im also ridiculously nervous about taking the LSAT with this new photo identification method. I received so many emails regarding pics that do not follow guidelines equal automatic rejection at test center. HOW HARD IS IT TO FOLLOW THE RULES GIVEN? why do i have to get all these emails bc ppl cant follow rules. why not just email those who arent paying attention? it makes me nervous that maybe my picture isnt correct, but i look over the rules and it follows all of them and it wasnt even hard to do. Does anybody else get those repetitive emails from lsac over the last few months? Im more worried about this than the damn test...

3. I also dont feel incredibly prepared for this exam. My mom says just take it. You can always take it again and you may surprise yourself with how well you do. I'm like no! i can use my score from 2014 if I want to just wing (not really winging it, but i hope you get my point) it. I'm scared if I take it in Sep., not in Jun., I waste a test opportunity. Isnt the Dec. test a late test for admissions? I want to apply early. Can I apply before submitting my score?

Thanks

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: How to quell Anxeity/outside noise?

Post by pancakes3 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:15 am

Just worry about the LSAT. 23 is still super young. Help your mom recognize the fact that you're not 5 anymore and your mom's not the end-all be-all authority of everything any more. She doesn't know diddly about the legal profession and you're doing the RIGHT thing in following TLS's advice. Our advice is better than any of her attorney friends (if any) because a) we're more familiar with the current hiring market, b) we're more familiar with the current state of law school admissions, c) there's more of us than there are of her friends.

I used to be a big headphones studier and weaning myself from music into silence was a big adjustment but better do that earlier than later. Always do practice tests under timed/testing conditions. good luck.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:20 am

pancakes3 wrote:Just worry about the LSAT. 23 is still super young. Help your mom recognize the fact that you're not 5 anymore and your mom's not the end-all be-all authority of everything any more. She doesn't know diddly about the legal profession and you're doing the RIGHT thing in following TLS's advice. Our advice is better than any of her attorney friends (if any) because a) we're more familiar with the current hiring market, b) we're more familiar with the current state of law school admissions, c) there's more of us than there are of her friends.

I used to be a big headphones studier and weaning myself from music into silence was a big adjustment but better do that earlier than later. Always do practice tests under timed/testing conditions. good luck.
thank you.

i would literally get migranes over these things.

i need to get a serious grip!

is the december test early enough?

how long is an lsat exam good for?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:29 am

Telling you the date in and of itself in a vacuum isn't very helpful. What score are your practicing at? What's your GPA? What are your career aspirations?

December isn't terribly late if you have all of your other ducks in a row. I'll leave it to the waiters to weigh in on this more.

You can't take the test more than 3 times in 3 years. It used to be that schools would average your takes, or at least take multiple takes into consideration but I don't think that's really a thing anymore. Again, waiters... weigh in.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:08 am

pancakes3 wrote:Telling you the date in and of itself in a vacuum isn't very helpful. What score are your practicing at? What's your GPA? What are your career aspirations?

December isn't terribly late if you have all of your other ducks in a row. I'll leave it to the waiters to weigh in on this more.

You can't take the test more than 3 times in 3 years. It used to be that schools would average your takes, or at least take multiple takes into consideration but I don't think that's really a thing anymore. Again, waiters... weigh in.

Score I practice at is btw-low 150s to high once and a while low 160s.

My lsac gpa is 3.75.

I'm a URM

My career aspiration is AUSA... ultimately.

I don't mind doing PI work. I don't mind being a ADA or a defense attorney.

I don't have to make 100k starting salary, especially if my debt is manageable.

I'd be content making 60K. As long as I'm in the career I want to be in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon May 23, 2016 9:31 am

Don't take the LSAT in June. You aren't ready. Improve your score, and don't waste the solid GPA. Contrary to your mother's opinion, even if you wait another year -- or 3 -- or 5 -- you will still be fine.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:41 am

RaceJudicata wrote:Don't take the LSAT in June. You aren't ready. Improve your score, and don't waste the solid GPA. Contrary to your mother's opinion, even if you wait another year -- or 3 -- or 5 -- you will still be fine.
I just feel disappointed in myself as well.

I was supposed to be ready by June and I'm not. Self studying has proved impossible. I lose focus and get distracted often. I lose faith in myself as well. Smh..I have a lot of work to do.

I am used to understanding concepts easily. So I'm not mature enough, yet, to realize that when your faced with a challenge you don't stick your head in the sand and pray for the best. I have so much to learn. I'm happy I took time off to realize my faults and work on them before I enter law school.

I am also a secretary. I wasn't made for this type of work. It also makes me feel small at times, because I know I'm meant to be so much more. This also makes it harder when my mother reminds me I could have been done already.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon May 23, 2016 10:08 am

Seek out some help with the anxiety/lack of focus. Life > LSAT/law school. Much more important to figure you your personal issues, and then, if you still have interest, think about going to law school. I promise you'll regret going to law school (particularly one you'll get into with your stats) if you aren't personally/mentally prepared to undertake it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 am

lillawyer2 wrote:I am also a secretary. I wasn't made for this type of work. It also makes me feel small at times, because I know I'm meant to be so much more. This also makes it harder when my mother reminds me I could have been done already.
You're 23. Being a secretary at 23 is perfectly normal and what you're qualified to do. You're not doomed to stay in that job whether you go to law school or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:23 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:I am also a secretary. I wasn't made for this type of work. It also makes me feel small at times, because I know I'm meant to be so much more. This also makes it harder when my mother reminds me I could have been done already.
You're 23. Being a secretary at 23 is perfectly normal and what you're qualified to do. You're not doomed to stay in that job whether you go to law school or not.
Thank you for being kind. It really eased the pressure I put on myself.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:29 am

Considering it is past deadlines, should I just take the test. I'd throw away $180 bucks, if I don't at least take it for the experience. I can always cancel the score, if I felt it went terrible. Cancelling a score doesn't effect me negativity in any way, correct?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:37 am

You have a ton to learn about the LSAT, law school admissions, and legal employment. You need to take some time and browse these forums and figure everything out - on your own. I mean, there might even be a chance that though a minority, you don't qualify for URM as law school admissions defines it.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 am

pancakes3 wrote:You have a ton to learn about the LSAT, law school admissions, and legal employment. You need to take some time and browse these forums and figure everything out - on your own. I mean, there might even be a chance that though a minority, you don't qualify for URM as law school admissions defines it.

ok, I can use a refresher. I do have a lot to learn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”