Caffeine Pills and the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RamTitan

Silver

Caffeine Pills and the LSAT

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:18 am

I typically take a caffeine pill before each practice test. Just called the LSAC to make sure that this was considered medication and could be brought into the test center (which they said was okay), but I couldn't take it or drink any water until the break. So, if I took out my water bottle to swallow a pill right before the test, would I get my ass thrown out? How long is the wait time to begin the test once you enter the exam room? I'm thinking of taking one before entering the room, and then having another one during the break, which is not something I typically do. Thoughts?

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Caffeine Pills and the LSAT

Post by lymenheimer » Fri May 20, 2016 11:23 am

RamTitan wrote:
1) jflol
2) learn to dry swallow

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:26 am

lymenheimer wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
1) jflol
2) learn to dry swallow
I can't have the caffeine pill out either. I don't want to do anything that would make a test prompter have cause to throw me out.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri May 20, 2016 11:28 am

lymenheimer wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
1) jflol
2) learn to dry swallow
Well I guess if you're used to caffeine pills no use in risking a decrease now. That said, be careful that the caffeine pill won't increase anxiety and other variables that may change being in a higher stress situation. If you aren't worried that will be the case then I think you'l be fine.

I guess I would echo what lymenheimer stated, and learn to dry swallow. Otherwise, maybe just take them right before you enter, a lot of test sights have water fountains and the like inside if you should need. But for a solid back-up plan, dry swallow is prob TCR.

GL RamTitan, I think you'll kill it regardless. 8)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Fri May 20, 2016 11:28 am

RamTitan wrote:I typically take a caffeine pill before each practice test. Just called the LSAC to make sure that this was considered medication and could be brought into the test center (which they said was okay), but I couldn't take it or drink any water until the break. So, if I took out my water bottle to swallow a pill right before the test, would I get my ass thrown out? How long is the wait time to begin the test once you enter the exam room? I'm thinking of taking one before entering the room, and then having another one during the break, which is not something I typically do. Thoughts?

I can't tell you for sure but one thing to consider is that LSAT proctors are fairly unpredictable. Some may be experienced and professional and others are clueless and don't give AF. Some strict others completely lax. For instance when I took the test in Dec I was allowed to put my massive puffy winter coat in the ampitheater seat next to me. I could've had a small pharmacy and maybe a few kittens in there without them noticing or caring. Could've had a phone or any number of things.

On the flip side, a different proctor could see you doing something that looks shady/surreptitious, even if it's a pill allowed by LSAC, and kick you out or something like that.

So just keep that unpredictable factor in mind....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri May 20, 2016 11:29 am

Yeah, I get you don't want to draw attention and the risk probably isn't worth it. I would say take them right before entering. You might lose a little bit of steam during the last sections, but if you're used to it perhaps its preferable for you to take it a little sooner rather than risk not having it at all.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLSDookie

New

Post by TLSDookie » Fri May 20, 2016 11:31 am

Pretty much all you need to know re:caffeine and the LSAT is to not break your normal routine. I've had friends get themselves into a ton of trouble because they drank coffee every morning while studying, and then not on test day because they were afraid it'd make them too jittery on test day, and others who never drank coffee, but did on test day because it was earlier than they were used to getting up. Both groups regretted it.

I have no idea why you would even bother asking LSAC about an over-the-counter supplement, assuming these pills are OTC. I've never looked in to taking them, but I'd imagine it's a good way to directly regulate how much caffeine you're having on test day. Aside from that, I definitely would not take two pills over the course of the exam if you're used to taking one. I also wouldn't risk taking it once you're in the testing center, no anecdata but I believe the prep course I took said don't even risk bringing aspirin in to the test, even if you've pre-cleared it with LSAC, it could be a hassle with proctors and you don't want to be dealing with that shit on test day. Caffeine even from coffee isn't absorbed for at least 45 minutes, and lasts up to 8 hours from a single cup. Taking it at home before you leave for the test/in the parking lot will make absolutely no difference vs. taking it in the testing center.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:31 am

pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
On the flip side, a different proctor could see you doing something that looks shady/surreptitious, even if it's a pill allowed by LSAC, and kick you out or something like that.

Exactly; this is why I'm inclined to take one before the test.

How long does it typically take to fill out the forms and get everyone situated to take the test?

And, are the proctors allowed to check your plastic bag? I have asthma medication I was going to bring and put the caffeine inside of that.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:34 am

TLSDookie wrote:Pretty much all you need to know re:caffeine and the LSAT is to not break your normal routine. I've had friends get themselves into a ton of trouble because they drank coffee every morning while studying, and then not on test day because they were afraid it'd make them too jittery on test day, and others who never drank coffee, but did on test day because it was earlier than they were used to getting up. Both groups regretted it.

I have no idea why you would even bother asking LSAC about an over-the-counter supplement, assuming these pills are OTC. I've never looked in to taking them, but I'd imagine it's a good way to directly regulate how much caffeine you're having on test day. Aside from that, I definitely would not take two pills over the course of the exam if you're used to taking one. I also wouldn't risk taking it once you're in the testing center, no anecdata but I believe the prep course I took said don't even risk bringing aspirin in to the test, even if you've pre-cleared it with LSAC, it could be a hassle with proctors and you don't want to be dealing with that shit on test day. Caffeine even from coffee isn't absorbed for at least 45 minutes, and lasts up to 8 hours from a single cup. Taking it at home before you leave for the test/in the parking lot will make absolutely no difference vs. taking it in the testing center.
This sounds like a f'ing nightmare.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:36 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:Yeah, I get you don't want to draw attention and the risk probably isn't worth it. I would say take them right before entering. You might lose a little bit of steam during the last sections, but if you're used to it perhaps its preferable for you to take it a little sooner rather than risk not having it at all.
I'll do that; take it right as I leave the car, then check-in and getting everyone ready to take the test will take like an hour?

And would your advise not bringing another one in my bag? I just really don't want the proctors to go through my bag and flip out about me having a caffeine pill.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Fri May 20, 2016 11:37 am

RamTitan wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

How long does it typically take to fill out the forms and get everyone situated to take the test?

And, are the proctors allowed to check your plastic bag? I have asthma medication I was going to bring and put the caffeine inside of that.
I think the time between 12:30 and opening to section 1 also varies a lot from place to place. I've heard of it taking hours. I think in Dec it took my testing site about 45 mins max. Pretty quick.

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Fri May 20, 2016 11:38 am

RamTitan wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

Pretty sure this is a felony.

Just keep it in its proper container, and ask one of the proctors to let you know the last time you can use the restroom before the test begins. Take your caffeine in the bathroom, no problems. Once they close the doors, the process is that they hand out the tests, read your instructions, and you go. It's only about 10-15 minutes before you actually start on your first section.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Fri May 20, 2016 11:38 am

Last edited by pretzeltime on Mon May 23, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:40 am

pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

I think the time between 12:30 and opening to section 1 also varies a lot from place to place. I've heard of it taking hours. I think in Dec it took my testing site about 45 mins max. Pretty quick.
That also freaks me out. If I arrive at the test center at noon, took it then before entering the building, and then it took hours for the test to get situated, then I'm going to be in the middle of a caffeine crash.

It sounds like there are a ton of variables to consider, but are impossible to predicate, so I'm not really sure what the best course of action is.

TLSDookie

New

Post by TLSDookie » Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 am

RamTitan wrote:How long does it typically take to fill out the forms and get everyone situated to take the test?

Assuming you mean filling in the scantron bubbles and signing the statement on your test sheets, ~10 minutes once the administration of the test begins. Including the check-in stuff, iirc it took around 45 minutes from when I walked in the door to the testing center to when I turned to the first page of section 1.

Proctors are basically god once you're in their testing room, they're allowed to check your plastic bag (and will) and can also make you throw out bottles/snacks, check your pockets/clothing etc. If you're planning on brining a different prescription medication in to the testing center, make it very clear at the check in desk, and make sure they're ok with it, even if you don't have the caffeine pills in there. If they see something they even suspect is not allowed through the strictest reading of the rules (i.e. pills in two different shapes in your rx bottle) they can end your testing day right there and there is nothing you can do to appeal it with LSAC after the fact, even if you're in the right.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:43 am

forum_user wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

Pretty sure this is a felony.

Just keep it in its proper container, and ask one of the proctors to let you know the last time you can use the restroom before the test begins. Take your caffeine in the bathroom, no problems. Once they close the doors, the process is that they hand out the tests, read your instructions, and you go. It's only about 10-15 minutes before you actually start on your first section.
Could you tell me what the test day walk-in is like? Like, as soon as I enter the test room I'm not allowed to leave, etc.?

Am I just being a paranoid anxious overthinker, or should I be putting this much thought into this?

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:45 am

TLSDookie wrote:
RamTitan wrote:How long does it typically take to fill out the forms and get everyone situated to take the test?

Assuming you mean filling in the scantron bubbles and signing the statement on your test sheets, ~10 minutes once the administration of the test begins. Including the check-in stuff, iirc it took around 45 minutes from when I walked in the door to the testing center to when I turned to the first page of section 1.

Proctors are basically god once you're in their testing room, they're allowed to check your plastic bag (and will) and can also make you throw out bottles/snacks, check your pockets/clothing etc. If you're planning on brining a different prescription medication in to the testing center, make it very clear at the check in desk, and make sure they're ok with it, even if you don't have the caffeine pills in there. If they see something they even suspect is not allowed through the strictest reading of the rules (i.e. pills in two different shapes in your rx bottle) they can end your testing day right there and there is nothing you can do to appeal it with LSAC after the fact, even if you're in the right.
So, bring the caffeine pills in the actual container, and if the check-in desk doesn't like them they'll tell me to throw them out, but they won't kick me out? However, if the test proctor in the room sees it, they'll kick me out, correct?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:47 am

Here's my test-day plan

1. Take caffeine pill as I leave car, because if I wait till I enter the building there is at least some chance that the proctors won't let me have any
2. Verify with the check-in people to make sure that caffeine pills are allowed (so there is a check-in person before I go to my testing room?). Have the actual container of caffeine pills with me.
3. See how I feel during the break, and if I'm crashing take one then.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri May 20, 2016 11:47 am

RamTitan wrote: It sounds like there are a ton of variables to consider, but are impossible to predicate, so I'm not really sure what the best course of action is.
The best course of action is to quit being so aspie about the LSAT. just stick the damn pill in your pocket or inside of your cheek (wrap it in a bit of fruit roll-up). Go to the restroom before you check-in or before you enter your test room if you need water to down it, if not, man-up and dry-swallow it when you realize you're at the appropriate time prior to the test.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:48 am

lymenheimer wrote:
RamTitan wrote: It sounds like there are a ton of variables to consider, but are impossible to predicate, so I'm not really sure what the best course of action is.
The best course of action is to quit being so aspie about the LSAT. just stick the damn pill in your pocket or inside of your cheek (wrap it in a bit of fruit roll-up). Go to the restroom before you check-in or before you enter your test room if you need water to down it, if not, man-up and dry-swallow it when you realize you're at the appropriate time prior to the test.
So they won't check your pockets? What if there isn't a bathroom before the check-in?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri May 20, 2016 11:52 am

RamTitan wrote: So they won't check your pockets?

Can't tell if you're serious...
What if there isn't a bathroom before the check-in?
man-up and dry-swallow it
eta:
quit being so aspie about the LSAT

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:53 am

lymenheimer wrote:
RamTitan wrote: So they won't check your pockets?

Can't tell if you're serious...
What if there isn't a bathroom before the check-in?
man-up and dry-swallow it
I am 100% serious; they check your pockets for the GRE.

But I don't want anyone to see me dry swallow it.

This settles it; I'm taking the pill in the car, and hope that I don't crash.

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 am

RamTitan wrote:Here's my test-day plan

1. Take caffeine pill as I leave car, because if I wait till I enter the building there is at least some chance that the proctors won't let me have any
2. Verify with the check-in people to make sure that caffeine pills are allowed (so there is a check-in person before I go to my testing room?). Have the actual container of caffeine pills with me.
1. Where are you taking the test? If you're taking it in/near a city, there are going to be probably hundreds of other students. The proctors aren't going to be rifling through everyone's clear plastic baggie searching for contraband.
2. There's a check-in person insofar as someone has a list with your name on it and they look at your ID. That's likely as formal as it'll get. I wouldn't check with them, because if they tell you no (because they are the ultimate arbiters of what you can or can't do, and they have sole discretion) then you're SOL.

In all likelihood you'll meet in a building and be led to a classroom/auditorium where you take the test. They'll tell you the last chance you have to go to the bathroom, and do it then. If you do it when you're leaving your car, you'll be waiting for at least 1-2 hours before you actually start on your first question.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:58 am

forum_user wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Here's my test-day plan

1. Where are you taking the test? If you're taking it in/near a city, there are going to be probably hundreds of other students. The proctors aren't going to be rifling through everyone's clear plastic baggie searching for contraband.
2. There's a check-in person insofar as someone has a list with your name on it and they look at your ID. That's likely as formal as it'll get. I wouldn't check with them, because if they tell you no (because they are the ultimate arbiters of what you can or can't do, and they have sole discretion) then you're SOL.

In all likelihood you'll meet in a building and be led to a classroom/auditorium where you take the test. They'll tell you the last chance you have to go to the bathroom, and do it then. If you do it when you're leaving your car, you'll be waiting for at least 1-2 hours before you actually start on your first question.
1. I'm taking it in the St. Louis metro area.
2. Let's say I don't ask the check-in person....what happens in the proctor sees that I have caffeine pills in my plastic bag?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri May 20, 2016 11:59 am

RamTitan wrote: I am 100% serious; they check your pockets for the GRE.
According to pretzeltime. Have you taken the GRE where they check your pockets?
Your whole account has to be flame. Seriously. Mods please ban this dude. Shitting up these fora.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”