Should I be discouraged? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Wrxcolin33

New

Should I be discouraged?

Post by Wrxcolin33 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:51 pm

I'm not really sure where I should post this question, but I figured here was the best spot. This semester I took a philosophy course, specifically emphasized in logic. Thinking I would be ahead of the class considering I'd been prepping for the LSAT for the past month, I found this was not the case. I struggled quite a bit with the course and only managed to pull a 78% from the class. It was mostly finding validity and derivations in arguments. Is this an indication that I'm not ready for the LSAT? I always felt pretty strong on the logic games in my Kaplan prep book, but this really made me question my competence for the LSAT. Has anyone taken this course or something similar that has any contributing thoughts?

Londonbear

Bronze

Re: Should I be discouraged?

Post by Londonbear » Wed May 11, 2016 4:59 pm

No you should not be discouraged at all. I did the same thing in undergrad. I actually took 2-3 phil logic courses and hated it, but did well enough on my LSATs. Thinking back, it was probably a waste of time to sit through all those phil logic courses instead of just focusing on taking old LSAT exams. You just need to focus on the preptests and logic game bible. I liked Powerscore. I thought they were much more focused than Kaplan, but to each his own. But Powerscore logic games is a must. I only missed 1 question on my LSAT in the logic games thanks to that book.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:01 pm

I would not stress too much about your performance in the class. Use that mental energy to worry about prepping for the actual LSAT instead, as well as your grades in future classes.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed May 11, 2016 5:02 pm

to answer the title question: no. how will being discouraged help you? it won't. just study for the actual thing and see how you do on your PTs. confidence is a necessary condition to doing well on the LSAT :wink:

Wrxcolin33

New

Post by Wrxcolin33 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:12 pm

Wow, thank you all for your positive feedback! I was feeling pretty bummed about the situation, but this definitely cheered me up! I guess I'll just stick to the prep books then, thank you all so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed May 11, 2016 5:14 pm

Wrxcolin33 wrote:Wow, thank you all for your positive feedback! I was feeling pretty bummed about the situation, but this definitely cheered me up! I guess I'll just stick to the prep books then, thank you all so much!
Just not Kaplan. Go through the LSAT Prep threads in this forum and use the suggested materials. Kaplan and princeton review are not the best for lsat

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:15 pm

How are you prepping? Are you only using the Kaplan book? I strongly urge you to look around on this forum—there are some great self-study plans that can really help you maximize your potential on the exam. Have you already taken a diagnostic?

Edited: scooped.

Wrxcolin33

New

Post by Wrxcolin33 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:18 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Wrxcolin33 wrote:Wow, thank you all for your positive feedback! I was feeling pretty bummed about the situation, but this definitely cheered me up! I guess I'll just stick to the prep books then, thank you all so much!
Just not Kaplan. Go through the LSAT Prep threads in this forum and use the suggested materials. Kaplan and princeton review are not the best for lsat

What about 7sage? I downloaded the app on my iPhone but haven't really looked into all that much. The Kaplan book was a Christmas present from my dad. I'll definitely branch out and use other sources for studying, thank you!

Wrxcolin33

New

Post by Wrxcolin33 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:20 pm

emkay625 wrote:How are you prepping? Are you only using the Kaplan book? I strongly urge you to look around on this forum—there are some great self-study plans that can really help you maximize your potential on the exam. Have you already taken a diagnostic?

I took the practice test on the LSAC website, but I only completed the logic game portion. I thought about taking a prep class but I hear they're extremely expensive and kind of a waste of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Wrxcolin33 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:How are you prepping? Are you only using the Kaplan book? I strongly urge you to look around on this forum—there are some great self-study plans that can really help you maximize your potential on the exam. Have you already taken a diagnostic?

I took the practice test on the LSAC website, but I only completed the logic game portion. I thought about taking a prep class but I hear they're extremely expensive and kind of a waste of time.
You don't need to take a prep class, self-study is fine. However, you do need to be prepping for all sections, not just logic games. And you need to be taking full practice tests, not just the LG section. You can get released tests on the LSAC web site. Cruise through the LSAT prep forum here for more detailed guides on what to do.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Wed May 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Wrxcolin33 wrote:I'm not really sure where I should post this question, but I figured here was the best spot. This semester I took a philosophy course, specifically emphasized in logic. Thinking I would be ahead of the class considering I'd been prepping for the LSAT for the past month, I found this was not the case. I struggled quite a bit with the course and only managed to pull a 78% from the class. It was mostly finding validity and derivations in arguments. Is this an indication that I'm not ready for the LSAT? I always felt pretty strong on the logic games in my Kaplan prep book, but this really made me question my competence for the LSAT. Has anyone taken this course or something similar that has any contributing thoughts?
Don't worry about it. Your grades in that course have little correlation with your LSAT score potential. For one, the logic on this test is elementary compared to a philosophy course. The challenge here has to do more with your reading ability, perseverance, and attention to detail. Second, this is a very learnable test, and I think that effort definitely trumps natural ability here. Just focus on keeping your grades up, as that's important for law school admissions.

You should go back and do a full, timed preptest to get a feel for a full test, along with a diagnostic score. Afterwards, I'd recommend working through some prep books for each section, so that you can learn the different question types and the approaches to them. Then, focus on drilling different sections, figuring out where your weaknesses and are, and working on those. FInally, take some full preptests, simulating actual test conditions.

zoov

New

Post by zoov » Thu May 19, 2016 6:03 pm

Your main worry should be the grade on your transcript.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 19, 2016 6:53 pm

zoov wrote:Your main worry should be the grade on your transcript.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”