Post removed... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barack O'Drama

Gold

What would you recommend I start with?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Wed May 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Hey all, I just took my first diagnostic test and got a 158. I missed about 8 in both LG and both LR sections. My RC section was my best, only missed 4.

I have ordered all the Powerscore bibles and the LSAT Trainer and practice tests. The should be here by week's end. I am planning on writing the September LSAT and aiming for a 180, but will not retake if I hit a 167 or above. I have a 3.88 GPA so I hope that can net me some T-14 offers.

Just looking for advice on how to methodically move forward? Do I go through the bibles entirely before doing another test, or read everything then start doing tests? I've read all the articles on how to get 180s and all that, but I feel like at this junction I'm looking for some advice how to proceed more systematically.

I work days 9-6pm so I study at night and during weekends. Usually I can dedicate 3 hours after work or so, and 8+ hours on the weekends. I hope that will be enough to net me the points I need.

Any and all advice is welcome!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Re: What would you recommend I start with?

Post by cbbinnyc » Wed May 04, 2016 1:36 pm

I used the Powerscore suggested self-study plan: http://students.powerscore.com/self-study/index.cfm

Obviously you can tweak as needed, but I think using a rigid plan like this will keep you honest. It sounds like you need about equal work in every section at this point and these systems will give you that (yeah, you got -4 in RC and -8 in LR, but there are two LR sections and one RC section so you're really missing the same percentage of problems).

ETA: Nevermind, misread your post and thought you meant you missed 8 total in LR. In any case, the LR work is actually a bit lighter in the self-study methods, since RC is something everybody is probably familiar with, to an extent, from SAT/ACT/etc.
Last edited by cbbinnyc on Wed May 04, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldchain

New

Post by Goldchain » Wed May 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Use 7sage starter course (about $179) to learn basics

Drill logic games by type and LR by type from pts 1-36

Take all 20 LSATs in the 2 "10 most recent LSAT series" lsats 52-71

Buy LSAT 72-77 and take them leading into the test.

I diagnosed 10 points lower than you and eventually scored low 160's but still got into a top 10 school. I PMed you a few weeks ago if you can recall. This is what I did and it shored up most of my weaknesses. I'm terrible at timed reading comp so I have no useful advice for that section.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Wed May 04, 2016 1:55 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:I used the Powerscore suggested self-study plan: http://students.powerscore.com/self-study/index.cfm

Obviously you can tweak as needed, but I think using a rigid plan like this will keep you honest. It sounds like you need about equal work in every section at this point and these systems will give you that (yeah, you got -4 in RC and -8 in LR, but there are two LR sections and one RC section so you're really missing the same percentage of problems).

ETA: Nevermind, misread your post and thought you meant you missed 8 total in LR. In any case, the LR work is actually a bit lighter in the self-study methods, since RC is something everybody is probably familiar with, to an extent, from SAT/ACT/etc.
Thank you! I just checked out the powerscore self-study plan and I am going to start working with that. That is perfect for keeping me on track. Literally, I cannot thank you enough. I definitely felt like I need help equally throughout the test. I have a feeling LGs are going to be the biggest challenge for me. At least the consensus seems to be, at least among TLS, is that this is the section most likely to see a big increase in and get down to -0.

Thanks again cbbinnyc 8)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Barack O'Drama » Wed May 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”