Leave well-paying job for Law School? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LegendaryOne

New

Leave well-paying job for Law School?

Post by LegendaryOne » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:35 pm

So I spent most of last year studying for the LSAT but never really hit the score I wanted. I decided to take a break from studying and find a job, primarily so that I could get over my burnout and have something to put on my resume. I ended up getting a job at a tech company and am now getting paid around $100K+ which is great, but now it puts me in a weird situation. Should I stick with my job or still try to get into law school?

I've been reading a lot about the job prospects for post-law grads, which has kind of kept me on edge in regards to pursuing that path. However, the idea of having a JD is still alluring. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Leave well-paying job for Law School?

Post by Clearly » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Upward mobility in job? Is it fucking awful? My guy says stay, if in a few years you want that jd, schools will still be there.

LegendaryOne

New

Post by LegendaryOne » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:22 pm

Yes, there's upward mobility here to an extent. Once I reach the predestined job ceiling for new hires, it gets harder to move up. The company is like most silicon valley companies (open floorplan, stock, good benefits etc.) so the environment is very relaxing and welcoming. My main concern is not having an advanced degree which is why law is still in the back of my mind.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:30 pm

I think this is a problem you can solve yourself if you think about it harder

(if that response annoys you, well, you'll love law school)

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:31 pm

LegendaryOne wrote:Yes, there's upward mobility here to an extent. Once I reach the predestined job ceiling for new hires, it gets harder to move up. The company is like most silicon valley companies (open floorplan, stock, good benefits etc.) so the environment is very relaxing and welcoming. My main concern is not having an advanced degree which is why law is still in the back of my mind.
Unless you feel a calling to be a lawyer (and won't be satisfied otherwise), don't go to law school. Feeling like you want an advanced degree is not a good reason to go to law school in my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:37 pm

No, don't go to law school. You already have a 6 figure job with benefits and I assume decent hours. You should not go to law school.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:38 pm

landshoes wrote:I think this is a problem you can solve yourself if you think about it harder

(if that response annoys you, well, you'll love law school)

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:38 pm

Clearly wrote:Upward mobility in job? Is it fucking awful? My guy says stay, if in a few years you want that jd, schools will still be there.
Hard no if you're happy at your job for now. You're making good money and the legal market is crap. If it's really what you want and you get a nice scholly at a good school maybe go for it, but I don't see the upside compared to what you already have going for you at least for now. I'd wait on it.

ETA: I give this advice as someone who learned the hard way I shouldn't have gone to LS so soon. Also, I dk where you live or what range of schools you're aiming for, but to reiterate the very obvious, COA and rank is worth considering in light of the $$$ factor.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:57 pm

you would regret the decision to leave tech for law forever. youre compensation already exceeds most of the law field, and once you factor in debt, it would be ugly the discrepancy in pay. plus, law day-to-day really sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:58 pm

LegendaryOne wrote: My main concern is not having an advanced degree.
Maybe you should get an advanced degree in your field. That would let you enjoy that tech company salary/lifestyle, satisy your academic goals, and increase your upward mobility all at once.

Loquitur Res

New

Post by Loquitur Res » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Just go to night school, get an MBA, keep moving up in your company/ take over a management role in another company/ start your own company. I would not have gone to law school if I was making 6 figures or even close and I love law school.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:29 pm

LegendaryOne wrote:Yes, there's upward mobility here to an extent. Once I reach the predestined job ceiling for new hires, it gets harder to move up. The company is like most silicon valley companies (open floorplan, stock, good benefits etc.) so the environment is very relaxing and welcoming. My main concern is not having an advanced degree which is why law is still in the back of my mind.
is the job a tech job or peripheral job in a tech company? there are lot of tech people in sv companies without advanced degrees. imo there is little in the way of an upwardly mobile career in a purely tech role.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Most lawyers would kill for a six figure job with good work-life balance. This includes T14 grads. Read the vale of tears and "so you want to be a NYC corporate lawyer" threads before even thinking about leaving. You are already in a better situation than the vast majority of top law school grads, do not leave unless the thought of not practicing law (and figure out what that really means first) makes you want to suck start a 9mm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:04 pm

"Finding a JD alluring" is classic grass is greener syndrome. Don't fall into that trap. Most JDs find the idea of a PhD or finance job "alluring" once they realize law isn't always as cool as they thought.

LegendaryOne

New

Post by LegendaryOne » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for replying to my post. My original plan was to go to law school for 3 years, graduate, and possibly get a legal position at a tech company. That's what got me to apply to tech jobs in the first place. Maybe it's fate? Anyway, I'm going to stick with it for a couple of years and see what happens. The job isn't peripheral either; it's full-time.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:41 pm

LegendaryOne wrote:Hey Everyone,

Thanks for replying to my post. My original plan was to go to law school for 3 years, graduate, and possibly get a legal position at a tech company. That's what got me to apply to tech jobs in the first place. Maybe it's fate? Anyway, I'm going to stick with it for a couple of years and see what happens. The job isn't peripheral either; it's full-time.
Good (albeit obvious) decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”