How long did it take for LG to *click* with you? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
passthebarista

New

How long did it take for LG to *click* with you?

Post by passthebarista » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:26 am

I've started reviewing logic games quite extensively. I'm mainly using 7SAGE, and PS Bible. I'm open to suggestions as well.
When I encounter a new logic game, I see that I'm not making the most important inferences needed to solve the game correctly. However, I'm able to work through them once I've reviewed what the set up should look like.
Its been a few weeks since I've started reviewing LG but how long did it take for LG games to click? My lg skills are shaky but I have confidence that I can eventually power through sets without any assistance once I'm familiar with this new language.

Lovely_Lady_In_Red_

New

Re: How long did it take for LG to *click* with you?

Post by Lovely_Lady_In_Red_ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:26 am

I'm still working on it.

For months and finally finished my first game when I got all the questions right untimed. (It was a very easy game though)

I think the most time consuming/error prone part is adding up the rules to make the last deduction. From there you go on to answer the questions.

By the given laws above, that will eliminate usually 3 questions, so 2 remain.

That's where I'm at, so doing one manually will tell u if the other is correct.

Answer and move one.

Leagles5161

Bronze

Post by Leagles5161 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:28 am

*Not a flame*

On my diagnostic I got 6 right on LG.Thats like -18. For the real deal I went -4 and was PTing a little better than that. LGs are the easiest section to improve on because it's all learnable. On the other hand, if you're a slow reader you're not just magically going to become a quick reader and comprehend the material well.

Keep your head up and keep drilling the difficult games. I can promise you it will click one of these days. Good luck!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:41 am

To be honest, in early January I didn't know anything about LGs, but at this point after a month of intense LG prep, I'm able to do most games in 8 and a half mins, except tough grouping games. I learned this section pretty quickly but it obviously won't be that way for everyone. All I did was watch 7sage videos, and practice making inferences. (I also have the games grouped by type if that matters)

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:06 am

LG was by far the greatest challenge I overcame (started out missing half, got to a consistent -0 in practice, got -1 officially), and I never felt like games "clicked." There was no epiphany where suddenly everything made sense; I just get better at it so I made the inferences faster and more reliably. Expect gradual progress as you put in a lot of work doing drills and reading/watching the explanations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

footballlax55

New

Post by footballlax55 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:43 pm

10 or so full PTs and 10 pts of logic games that were split up by game type and I was down to the getting 0-2 wrong per section instead of -10ish like in the beginning.

Interestingly enough when I started studying for my retake I started off averaging like 6 wrong and it took like 10 PTS and redoing the 10PTs worth of lg grouped by type to get back to -1 or so averager

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:29 am

I never did "get right" with Games - ended up getting a 167 and a 170 on test days, but both times, more than half of my missed points were in LG.

Right from the start of my prep, I was pretty consistently -0 to -2 in RC and LR, often with 5-10 minutes of extra time in a section. But LG was always a head-on-fire rush to finish. I started off with Velocity Prep, trying the "don't spend time finding inferences up front, just start plugging and chugging hypos" method. Then I started watching the 7Sage videos and working on finding more inferences on the front end in hopes of saving time later in the game, but neither method worked for me. After all my prep, the most I can say is that I became more consistent; by the end, there weren't any PTs where I'd completely flounder on a game.

Helioze

Bronze

Post by Helioze » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:40 am

I never tried to just finish the sections, i would just take as long as i needed to finish the games.

Because of this, i was always pretty accurate, but it took me about 20 or 4 game sections to start getting under time consistently.

spacekc929

New

Post by spacekc929 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:08 am

I happened to have a teacher in my LSAT prep course who was really good at logic games and also taught me really well how to identify which type of game each one was--then once I could identify each type of game, I worked on memorizing the correct set up for that type (I figured, at least if I know what type of game it is I can draw the right diagram, which is half the battle). It took some time (I had a 10 week course, so it took me maybe 5 or 6 weeks) doing problems over and over again until I could truly see the similarities between games and identify how the strategies I used for one game could apply to others.

But the truth is, even when I was first learning the building blocks, the games were never a chore. I think they're fun--when I was younger, I did a lot of those magazine logic puzzles (you know, with the grid and the clues that eliminate certain answers from the grid). LG are a bit more difficult than logic puzzles, but they're also pretty fun--and so it was always thrilling for me to be able to get the answers right. I guess that wouldn't help if someone doesn't find them enjoyable, but they really are games (games with very high stakes!)

Good luck in your prep! I have confidence that you will figure it all out!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:26 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baileybd2

New

Post by baileybd2 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:08 pm

I've been using 7sage as well and have found pretty decent improvement since first starting dry. I have also been debating getting the Bible sets when I have the extra cash. Have you found them as a good supplement to the 7sage tutorials?

passthebarista wrote:I've started reviewing logic games quite extensively. I'm mainly using 7SAGE, and PS Bible. I'm open to suggestions as well.
When I encounter a new logic game, I see that I'm not making the most important inferences needed to solve the game correctly. However, I'm able to work through them once I've reviewed what the set up should look like.
Its been a few weeks since I've started reviewing LG but how long did it take for LG games to click? My lg skills are shaky but I have confidence that I can eventually power through sets without any assistance once I'm familiar with this new language.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”