LSAT re-take and test anxiety Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
samm8973

New

LSAT re-take and test anxiety

Post by samm8973 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:17 am

Hello everyone,

I recently retook the LSAT and received a score much lower than I had anticipated. I took my first exam in October using crappy study tools and scored a 160. I retook again this past December after utilizing much better prep materails (the powerscore bibles) and studying my ass off. I enjoyed studying and felt that I had dedicated much more time and energy to the process and had actually learned the test. My preptest scores fell between the high 160s and low 170s. The score I received on my re-take was a 162.

After analyzing my results, I saw that I had significantly improved in the LR section, which is the section I enjoyed the most. I completely bombed the section I was most afraid of, the AR. I felt that I had a much stronger understanding of the games this time around and actually enjoyed solving them, but I ran across a type of game that I wasn't used to seeing and wasn't prepared for and it threw me into a complete panic. I plan on retaking in June and applying for the next cycle. I am dedicated to strengthening my skills (which obviously need a boost) but I am completely devasted by my results and further discouraged by the feeling that they had more to do with anxiety than my actual skill level. Does anyone have any adivce on how to manage this?

For background info, I have a GPA of 3.88. I feel as if I grossly underperformed on the exams and know that a boost in my score will open up many more possiblities for me. I am particulary worried about my problem with anxiety because it isn't a problem that can be solved by "buckling down" and trying harder. I appreciate any advice!

AllIn1212

New

Re: LSAT re-take and test anxiety

Post by AllIn1212 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:37 am

I greatly identify with you; PM coming shortly

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:41 am

Take practice tests under testing conditions. When I took my test it didn't stress me out because I had already taken it and knew there wouldn't be any surprises.

I also took in June so I had all morning to walk around and not spin myself up before the test.

samm8973

New

Post by samm8973 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 am

What exactly do you mean by this? I tried to replacate conditions as best as possible--everything was timed, I only took a break after the third section, and only ate or drank during the break.

I also generally stayed calm during difficult sections or problems but this became exponentially more difficult during the test. I felt myself panicking and couldn't control it.

joeycxxxx09

Bronze

Post by joeycxxxx09 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:02 am

To get over this I started giving myself 30 mins on PTs. Once I could do sections in 30 minutes, knowing I would have 35 on the test calmed me down alot especially on test day.
This prob isn't advisable for everyone, especially if you're aiming for 175+. Just an idea

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:14 am

I HIGHLY recommend meditation. It sounds stupid, but it made all the difference in the world to learn how to calm myself down.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:19 am

joeycxxxx09 wrote:To get over this I started giving myself 30 mins on PTs. Once I could do sections in 30 minutes, knowing I would have 35 on the test calmed me down alot especially on test day.
This prob isn't advisable for everyone, especially if you're aiming for 175+. Just an idea
I did this when I studied for the LSAT and also found this to be helpful. I think I went down to 25 per section before finishing but that was a third retake so I had basically seen every question by then

chickensoup1234

New

Post by chickensoup1234 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:22 am

ugg wrote:I HIGHLY recommend meditation. It sounds stupid, but it made all the difference in the world to learn how to calm myself down.
I never did before, but did for my second LSAT sitting. Even during the test I finished one or two sections with a minute or so to spare, and closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths. Sounds stupid, but hey, it worked for me.

somethingElse

Gold

Post by somethingElse » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:02 am

ugg wrote:I HIGHLY recommend meditation. It sounds stupid, but it made all the difference in the world to learn how to calm myself down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:45 am

Two things:

1) You have to get so good at games that missing any questions just isn't possible. Or if you do miss any, you've got ten minutes to check for mistakes while everyone else is barely getting past game three. You can do this, it just takes a lot of practice.

2) Gain confidence on test day by listening to the people around you. Most of these guys are praying for scores well below your worst PT. A lot of them won't score high enough to even get into a real law school. Act like you're the smartest guy in the room, because you probably are.

PrayFor170

Bronze

Post by PrayFor170 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:46 pm

Didn't get a stellar score myself but missed 0 on LG this time. My strategy is to breeze through the first two ones (usually they won't be too bizarre), and if you think the third seems strange and you're clueless about diagramming, move on to the fourth one, and then come back to the third one. I did this on my test, and it worked for me. The problem is you must be able to tell whether or not this game is so strange that you have to skip it.

I benefited a lot from the PT1-38 games which are not so standardized. Use LG by type and go through all the rare type questions, go through all of them. This time the third game is a pattern game, and the test makers have a limited number of ways to create the games.

Meanwhile, be sure to take in less-than-ideal places, e.g cafe, Amtrak, or when you're hungry/sleepy/hungover/dizzy. If you also use 7 sage, be sure to turn on the distraction to the loudest. So when you go to the test center and take the actual one, you'd feel really quiet and undisturbed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”