Can't seem to grasp Logical Reasoning Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
AlexandraHope

Bronze

Can't seem to grasp Logical Reasoning

Post by AlexandraHope » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:56 pm

I feel so stupid that this section is the reason I can not seem to succeed on the LSAT. Can anybody who struggled severely on the LSAT in this section and later mastered help me? I've read through Manhattan and the Trainer

harvardorbust2016

New

Re: Can't seem to grasp Logical Reasoning

Post by harvardorbust2016 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Have you analyzed what type of logic is in the questions you're getting wrong? I had the same issue with LR when I took the test in Oct, and when I analyzed it, I discovered that I absolutely tanked all the conditional questions. Studied them like a maniac for Dec, and boosted my score by a solid 6 points.

AlexandraHope

Bronze

Post by AlexandraHope » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 pm

harvardorbust2016 wrote:Have you analyzed what type of logic is in the questions you're getting wrong? I had the same issue with LR when I took the test in Oct, and when I analyzed it, I discovered that I absolutely tanked all the conditional questions. Studied them like a maniac for Dec, and boosted my score by a solid 6 points.
Is there a way I can analyze this or do I have to go threw it manually? I'm scared that I'll group the questions wrong. Since time is of the essence I'll be doing that tonight and getting down to prepping tomorrow.

Binghamton1018

Bronze

Post by Binghamton1018 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:50 am

I'm in a similar type of struggle with LR as we speak, I have yet to achieve anything resembling mastery and my test is scheduled for June. I just wanted to drop by to say that my experience has been similar. Please do not be dissuaded, keep working and working smart and eventually you will get a better and better grasp of LR!

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:55 am

AlexandraHope wrote:Is there a way I can analyze this or do I have to go threw it manually? I'm scared that I'll group the questions wrong. Since time is of the essence I'll be doing that tonight and getting down to prepping tomorrow.
Get the Powerscore LR Bible. The book groups each LR question into one of 10-or-so categories. You will be able to tell what category each LR fits into by the language used in the question stem. Each LR category has a specific way to approach the question, eliminate wrong answers, and select the correct answer.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:18 pm

AlexandraHope wrote:
harvardorbust2016 wrote:Have you analyzed what type of logic is in the questions you're getting wrong? I had the same issue with LR when I took the test in Oct, and when I analyzed it, I discovered that I absolutely tanked all the conditional questions. Studied them like a maniac for Dec, and boosted my score by a solid 6 points.
Is there a way I can analyze this or do I have to go threw it manually? I'm scared that I'll group the questions wrong. Since time is of the essence I'll be doing that tonight and getting down to prepping tomorrow.
It shouldn't be too difficult to group the questions by type, since you can do that just from looking at the question prompts. You mentioned that you've worked through the Manhattan book - if you reference that, you should be able to identify the different question types. In any case, being able to do so is an important skill, since each q.type requires a different approach.

If you haven't been doing this already, I highly suggest reading the question prompts before looking at the stimulus for all LR questions. At Blueprint, this is essentially the first thing we tell our students. Knowing what q.type you're dealing with will set you up to approach the stimulus differently, to focus on different aspects of the information given to you. Considering how tight time is on this test, this is really important!

Anyway, your goal should be to figure out which q.types you are getting wrong more than others. Those should be your top priority to review and drill.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”