Powerscore tutor?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawat43

New

Powerscore tutor??

Post by lawat43 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:08 pm

I have been talking with the folks at Powerscore and there is a tutor in my area that got a 180 LSAT and was accepted into Harvard and Yale. I am seriously considering using the tutor, but a twenty hour session is $2600. Ouch. I have the money but just not sure if I should do it. My own self-study has been going slow. I am getting scores in the 150's and need at least a 165 to get into the schools I want. Has anyone used a Powerscore or any other tutor, and did it help?

josh9308

New

Re: Powerscore tutor??

Post by josh9308 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Bump, +1

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:40 pm

If you have the money and are willing to put in the work, tutors are certainly worth it. However, you might want to also consider taking a class, depending on what kind of learner you are. Besides being cheaper, a class might be more effective for certain people. Seeing other people work through problems can be illuminating. I prepped on my own, but I am a test prep tutor, and I was planning to take a class myself if this cycle didn't work out well for me.

ObiWahooKenobi

New

Post by ObiWahooKenobi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:58 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:If you have the money and are willing to put in the work, tutors are certainly worth it. However, you might want to also consider taking a class, depending on what kind of learner you are. Besides being cheaper, a class might be more effective for certain people. Seeing other people work through problems can be illuminating. I prepped on my own, but I am a test prep tutor, and I was planning to take a class myself if this cycle didn't work out well for me.
I took power score live online course then bought 2 hours of tutoring week of. Some of the best money I've spent - increased 15 points over my cold baseline. The tutor had some helpful exercises for me to do in my last week to correct certain blocks I was having, and id say I attribute several points to those exercises.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:04 pm

TLS is a pretty legit tutor. It is also free. Many prep companies also have explanations to questions that are super helpful. (staying on the free-ish route)

That being said, I used a tutor for maybe 5ish hours on my second retake and found it to be helpful. The problem is that you may not need 20 hours with the tutor. If you are, however, deadset on getting one, make sure that YOU control how the sessions are set up. You don't want to be wasting time going through logic games in front of your tutor just so you both can redo them together.

lawat43

New

Post by lawat43 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:22 pm

ObiWahooKenobi wrote:
cbbinnyc wrote:If you have the money and are willing to put in the work, tutors are certainly worth it. However, you might want to also consider taking a class, depending on what kind of learner you are. Besides being cheaper, a class might be more effective for certain people. Seeing other people work through problems can be illuminating. I prepped on my own, but I am a test prep tutor, and I was planning to take a class myself if this cycle didn't work out well for me.
I took power score live online course then bought 2 hours of tutoring week of. Some of the best money I've spent - increased 15 points over my cold baseline. The tutor had some helpful exercises for me to do in my last week to correct certain blocks I was having, and id say I attribute several points to those exercises.
Wow, 15 points that's great. Thanks for the advice all. I ended up purchasing the sessions. I think they will really help. The studying I have been doing on my own just doesn't seem to be working (only scoring 155ish on prep tests). I need some guidance to get it to 160+, preferably around 165.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”