Retakers- After a long break, how long does it take to raise score? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Broncos15

Bronze

Retakers- After a long break, how long does it take to raise score?

Post by Broncos15 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Hello,

I am a June 2014 taker ( 154) and after a lengthy break I was wondering how long does it take to get my LSAT score up to near to what it used to be. I'm strongly considering taking one of the 2016 exams ( not Feb 2016)

My original diagnostic was a 145 in Feb 2014 (as far as 145's go it wasn't that bad, I only got 5 right on LG so I could only go up).. and then was basically stuck in the 150's for the months before the test ( partially because I didn't have a full grasp of the material and also partially because later on in my prep while I could do untimed problems well, timed problems posed a challenge)

Then after the June exam, things "clicked" and my score went from a 154 on the real exam to 168 on a PT in three weeks..... I was planning for the December 2014 exam before things got busy with school... In my prep during the summer, I mostly used timed individual sections of PT's as my practice and I felt capable of a 170's score on PT's if I did full PT's instead ( generally missed -2 or less in LG often -1 in LG, maybe -3 in each LR, and RC was my challenge like most test takers can't remember my RC scores off the top of my head)

Once school got busy in August, I stopped to focus on my grades,... The only thing I did was LG but barely just in case I took the test still.... I took a practice test just to see where I was in December and managed a 171 which I was really proud of since RC was amazing and I pulled off a 171 despite a weak LR in one section -7 or minus -8 so everything else was great...... I then took two more practice tests in Feb 2015 ( the last time I saw a problem was in that Dec PT I took) and scored between a 166-168 on both( these PTs were the September 2014 LSAT and the official Dec 2014 exam that I was planned on)...... Now a few days ago I take an exam without seeing a problem in over a year and got a 160.

It is generally easier for retakers that haven't studied in a while to improve on their score than someone studying for the first time?....Hopefully it's just a matter of refreshing the memory as to how this LSAT thing works.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Retakers- After a long break, how long does it take to raise score?

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:36 pm

took june '14
decided to retake june '15
started studying in april-ish (after not looking at any tests) and instantly had more things click and saw a bump in my score. looks like you already had that click/bump so it may take a bit longer to get back to that point or higher...but it's definitely possible. You just have to get back in the rhythm of the test. Take a few more PTs or sections, and then start to study/berate yourself for doing poorly. Use these first as diagnostic refreshers.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”