can anyone help me undertand this problem Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Hikaru

New

can anyone help me undertand this problem

Post by Hikaru » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:15 am

Hi folks, here is a problem from October 2001 LSAT which is difficult for me to understand.

Archaeologist: A skeleton of a North American mastodon that became extinct at the peak of the Ice Age was recently discovered. It contains a human-made projectile dissimilar to any found in that part of Eurasia closest to North America. Thus, since Eurasians did not settle in North America until shortly before the peak of the Ice Age, the first Eurasian settlers in North America probably came from a more distant part of Eurasia.
Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the archaeologist’s argument?
(A) The projectile found in the mastodon does not resemble any that were used in Eurasia before or during the Ice Age.
(B) The people who occupied the Eurasian area closest to North America remained nomadic throughout the Ice Age.
(C) The skeleton of a bear from the same place and time as the mastodon skeleton contains a similar projectile.
(D) Other North American artifacts from the peak of the Ice Age are similar to ones from the same time found in more distant parts of Eurasia.
(E) Climatic conditions in North America just before the Ice Age were more conducive to human habitation than were those in the part of Eurasia closest to North America at that time.

Specifically, I have a difficulty understanding the stimulus before looking at the answer choices. What is the argument of the stimulus and what are the premises and the conclusion? So far, I can only grasp that it is about an animal called mastodon whose skeleton has been recently discovered. But what is "human-made projectile?" What does the statement "Eurasians did not settle in North America until shortly before the peak of the ice age" have to do with the argument?

Could someone give me a hand? Many thanks.

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Re: can anyone help me undertand this problem

Post by GreekOmega12 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:46 am

Hikaru wrote:Hi folks, here is a problem from October 2001 LSAT which is difficult for me to understand.

Archaeologist: A skeleton of a North American mastodon that became extinct at the peak of the Ice Age was recently discovered. It contains a human-made projectile dissimilar to any found in that part of Eurasia closest to North America. Thus, since Eurasians did not settle in North America until shortly before the peak of the Ice Age, the first Eurasian settlers in North America probably came from a more distant part of Eurasia.
Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the archaeologist’s argument?
(A) The projectile found in the mastodon does not resemble any that were used in Eurasia before or during the Ice Age.
(B) The people who occupied the Eurasian area closest to North America remained nomadic throughout the Ice Age.
(C) The skeleton of a bear from the same place and time as the mastodon skeleton contains a similar projectile.
(D) Other North American artifacts from the peak of the Ice Age are similar to ones from the same time found in more distant parts of Eurasia.
(E) Climatic conditions in North America just before the Ice Age were more conducive to human habitation than were those in the part of Eurasia closest to North America at that time.

Specifically, I have a difficulty understanding the stimulus before looking at the answer choices. What is the argument of the stimulus and what are the premises and the conclusion? So far, I can only grasp that it is about an animal called mastodon whose skeleton has been recently discovered. But what is "human-made projectile?" What does the statement "Eurasians did not settle in North America until shortly before the peak of the ice age" have to do with the argument?

Could someone give me a hand? Many thanks.
The arguments is that a human made projectile (weapon) was found inside a skeleton of a mastodon. This projectile was different than any other projectile found in the closest parts of Eurasia.

Eurasians not settling until the peak of the ice age is a premise.

Claiming that the came from a more distant part of Eurasia is the conclusion.

Answer is A

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”