6 weeks till LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
KOfromOSU

New

6 weeks till LSAT

Post by KOfromOSU » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:26 am

I recently graduated and have no other responsibilities outside of prepping for this exam. Is 6 weeks enough for 170+ score? If so what are the best resources available?

Billy Madison

Bronze

Re: 6 weeks till LSAT

Post by Billy Madison » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:42 am

I'm in the same boat, assuming your OSU is in Columbus and not Stillwater, and I think it's very possible. This is my third take, I have a 163 from October and I'm waiting for December, but my prep was hindered by a pretty heavy courseload. I read the Powerscore bibles before October, so after that I think it's mostly a matter of drilling until it clicks. I started using the 7sage video explanations of LG problems, which is pretty helpful when trying to determine where you went wrong. I have the 30 most recent PTs from LSAC and plan to take most of them before the Feb test. To date, I've probably taken 5 PTS, which isn't close to enough.

I know a guy from these forums who started around a 164 and he had about 4 weeks to prep. Got above a 170. He drilled for about 3 hours on weekdays and double that on weekends.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: 6 weeks till LSAT

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:06 pm

KOfromOSU wrote:I recently graduated and have no other responsibilities outside of prepping for this exam. Is 6 weeks enough for 170+ score? If so what are the best resources available?
It's possible, sure, but no one will be able to predict if it's doable for you until you take a diagnostic test and work your way through the material. The diagnostic test is really just to get a feel for what the test is like. It might indicate your aptitude to some degree, but it's not a particularly reliable indicator of this. In any case, it's not productive to get hung up on your diagnostic score.

It isn't until you've worked through all the material that you can really get a sense of how much time/effort is needed to get to that 170+. Since you're trying to get it done in just 6 weeks, I'd get a few prep books, or sign up for an online course designed to let you study at your own pace, ASAP. Blueprint offers one, and there are other alternatives. Whichever materials you choose, your path should be the same:

1. Learn all the material.

2. Drill individual sections, and carefully review questions you got wrong and/or had trouble with. Keep note of which question types you tend to get wrong, and if you see a consistent pattern, go back to your books/course and review the approach. It's very likely that you're missing a step or not understanding something. Seek out other resources if you hit a wall (including this forum!)

3. Once you're comfortable (as close to mastery as possible) with the material, begin to work on timing. You can jump headfirst into taking 5-section practice tests, or build up to that by starting with 2 or 3 sections in a row. Review wrong answers very carefully. Emulate test conditions when you take preptests (break after section 3, no eating except during the break, test in a quiet space, follow the 35 minute time limit closely.

4. Destroy the LSAT. Or, if you know you're not ready, postpone. Your score on the recent preptests should be an accurate indicator of how you'll do on test day, so if you want a 170 and you're hitting 4 or more points below that, you should postpone.

I'd suggest you dive in as soon as possible. Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”