Tips on timing? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WorthlessDegree

Bronze

Tips on timing?

Post by WorthlessDegree » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Hey, all!

So, I've gotten to the point in my prep where I miss -1/-2 per section, and consistently score in the low 170s. Unfortunately, the majority of my missed questions come on the last few questions of a section. I get super pressured for time, and will skim the question/answer and more/less guess. I understand the questions, I just don't have the time to address them properly.

Does anyone have tips on how to fix this? Or is it just going to be taking as many PT's as possible between now and test day (February)?

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Tips on timing?

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:26 pm

WorthlessDegree wrote:Hey, all!

So, I've gotten to the point in my prep where I miss -1/-2 per section, and consistently score in the low 170s. Unfortunately, the majority of my missed questions come on the last few questions of a section. I get super pressured for time, and will skim the question/answer and more/less guess. I understand the questions, I just don't have the time to address them properly.

Does anyone have tips on how to fix this? Or is it just going to be taking as many PT's as possible between now and test day (February)?
Which section?

For LR, my timing trick was to circle any question where the answer didn't pop out at me and then come back to it after I finished the rest of the section. Most of the time coming back to it with fresh eyes worked out for me much better than agonizing over it for an ungodly amount of time. However, I also usually finished a LR section with 5-15 minutes of time left, so I was always very confident in being able to come back to the ones I skipped. Oh, and I also bubbled my best guess in before I moved on in case time ran out or i peed my pants or something.

For LG, my timing improved tremendously when I started running scenarios. Like, any time there was a rule that broke up into two possibilities, I would lay out the two and see what deductions I could make. I also improved when I stopped trying to keep stuff in my head and just wrote everything down. And for me, an underrated tip was to never erase anything. Open up with brand new diagrams for every question. There is more than enough room and it helps a lot.

I never really had an issue with RC. I would just read the passage once and then go back and forth from the questions to the relevant parts. Reading the whole passage was mostly just for the main idea questions.

Hope this helped.

WorthlessDegree

Bronze

Post by WorthlessDegree » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:55 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
WorthlessDegree wrote:Hey, all!

Which section?

For LR, my timing trick was to circle any question where the answer didn't pop out at me and then come back to it after I finished the rest of the section. Most of the time coming back to it with fresh eyes worked out for me much better than agonizing over it for an ungodly amount of time. However, I also usually finished a LR section with 5-15 minutes of time left, so I was always very confident in being able to come back to the ones I skipped. Oh, and I also bubbled my best guess in before I moved on in case time ran out or i peed my pants or something.

For LG, my timing improved tremendously when I started running scenarios. Like, any time there was a rule that broke up into two possibilities, I would lay out the two and see what deductions I could make. I also improved when I stopped trying to keep stuff in my head and just wrote everything down. And for me, an underrated tip was to never erase anything. Open up with brand new diagrams for every question. There is more than enough room and it helps a lot.

I never really had an issue with RC. I would just read the passage once and then go back and forth from the questions to the relevant parts. Reading the whole passage was mostly just for the main idea questions.

Hope this helped.

Mainly it's LG and RC. For LG, I have a hard time leaving a question, even when I've identified a correct answer. For RC, I'll get stuck between two answers and then just spin my tires for a while, wasting a lot of time.

WorthlessDegree

Bronze

Post by WorthlessDegree » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:37 pm

Anyone else have tips?

i_wish_i_was_smart

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by i_wish_i_was_smart » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by i_wish_i_was_smart on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lennybriscoe

New

Post by lennybriscoe » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Last edited by lennybriscoe on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Mixed Tape

Platinum

Post by The Mixed Tape » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:11 pm

always tip at least 15%, (or 1 dollar, whichever is greater), no matter what time it is

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”