GAVE UP MY PHONE AND IPAD TIL DECEMBER Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
GayElleWoods

New

GAVE UP MY PHONE AND IPAD TIL DECEMBER

Post by GayElleWoods » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:58 pm

Thats right i am that bad at being able to focus that i gave up both of them and only have my desktop, which atleast i can use programs to block internet access leaving me with nothing.....so I will be on my own (cues music from les mis) and be doing alot of tests with alot of review and if anyone feels like skyping anytime just to keep each other on track or to do tests at the same time...feel free to message me!!!!! :)

KMart

Gold

Re: GAVE UP MY PHONE AND IPAD TIL DECEMBER

Post by KMart » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:10 am

I'd be careful about burning out...

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:37 am

No reason to do that dude

GayElleWoods

New

Post by GayElleWoods » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:41 am

eagle2a wrote:No reason to do that dude

i actually have really bad adhd and zero will power so i had to do something to force myself to stop procrastinating. my only issue at this point is timing because i cant focus long enough to take a full test so i made a tough choice but one that i know will benefit me.

ugg

Diamond

Post removed.

Post by ugg » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:04 am

Post removed.
Last edited by ugg on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:52 am

law school/a legal career may not be for you if you cannot motivate yourself to sit for a 5 hour (is that how long it is?) test. I get LSAT studying sucks, but there is no need to disconnect yourself from the world to study for it. In fact, id guess that this hurts, rather than helps your score.

Phoenix97

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Phoenix97 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:29 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Phoenix97 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Phoenix97

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Phoenix97 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:30 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Phoenix97 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

GayElleWoods

New

Post by GayElleWoods » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:25 am

Last edited by GayElleWoods on Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GayElleWoods

New

Post by GayElleWoods » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:26 am

RaceJudicata wrote:law school/a legal career may not be for you if you cannot motivate yourself to sit for a 5 hour (is that how long it is?) test. I get LSAT studying sucks, but there is no need to disconnect yourself from the world to study for it. In fact, id guess that this hurts, rather than helps your score.
1. If you don't know enough about the LSAT, let alone the basics, such as how long it is, I don't think you can really have an input on the exam.
2. As for your argument that a legal career is not for me, Your argument is flawed in that it attempts to compare motivation and ones attention, which are two entirely different things.
3. In actuality try considering the fact that I am a determined individual who wants to excel on this exam to the point that I am willing to temporarily sacrifice something that isn't that important in exchange for a better score and in turn a much better future for myself.
4. I have a lot to prove to many people. I want a legal career so badly that I gave up a lot to dedicate myself to this exam. I actually quit my job to pursue something that I finally realized is a real passion of mine.

In closing, just because one has issues with focus (which by the way I'm taking the test with no accommodations to show just how capable I am when I want something bad enough) you cannot conclude anything in regards to what they may want or not want as well as what may or may not be a good choice for their future.

Have a great day :)

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:39 am

Yes, you can fight back with like "if you are unable/unwilling to fully commit yourself over less than a month for a major life event then life is not for you" thing, but I guess that's not really constructive. I mean, even if what's going on with your phone does not matter to you, the chance of burning out is real. Many if not most people perform worse with monotonous practice over extended periods of time. It's just their experience. Still, this varies dramatically by person and you may want to consider different advices and find a way that works for you.

GayElleWoods

New

Post by GayElleWoods » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:56 am

ihenry wrote:Yes, you can fight back with like "if you are unable/unwilling to keep yourself free from distractions and commit yourself over less than a month for a major life event then life is not for you" thing, but I guess that's not really constructive. I mean, even if what's going on with your phone does not matter to you, the chance of burning out is real. Many if not most people perform worse with monotonous practice over extended periods of time. It's just their experience. Still, this varies dramatically by person and you may want to consider different advices and find a way that works for you.

I would consider it a very constructive argument if someones going to question my intentions based on flawed logic (yes I'm in LSAT mode right now). It's one thing for people to give constructive advice such as what you mentioned about burning out. which i've already dealt with and know how to handle during the remaining weeks. I just know that for me personally, I'd like to have better control over my ability to stay attentive for full exams because I am unable to do so currently and with my ADHD to the point that I can barely get through a section or two before wanting to stop and go on twitter or text someone, I can maintain my contact with those outlets through my desktop, with the difference that I can use programs like "Self Control" to disable the internet when testing.

Maplesyrup

Bronze

Post by Maplesyrup » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:10 am

law school aside, if you have this severe of a problem becoming addicted to your phone and twitter THIS WEBSITE may not be the place for you lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:53 am

You sound like a fun person to Skype

GayElleWoods

New

Post by GayElleWoods » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:56 am

hairbear7 wrote:You sound like a fun person to Skype

Im a blast in a glass :P

newcareernewtown

New

Post by newcareernewtown » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:54 am

Last edited by newcareernewtown on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:14 pm

And yet you're still on TLS, the biggest time-waster out there...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:38 pm

RZ5646 wrote:And yet you're still on TLS, the biggest time-waster out there...
Seriously this lol

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:07 pm

GayElleWoods wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:law school/a legal career may not be for you if you cannot motivate yourself to sit for a 5 hour (is that how long it is?) test. I get LSAT studying sucks, but there is no need to disconnect yourself from the world to study for it. In fact, id guess that this hurts, rather than helps your score.
1. If you don't know enough about the LSAT, let alone the basics, such as how long it is, I don't think you can really have an input on the exam.
2. As for your argument that a legal career is not for me, Your argument is flawed in that it attempts to compare motivation and ones attention, which are two entirely different things.
3. In actuality try considering the fact that I am a determined individual who wants to excel on this exam to the point that I am willing to temporarily sacrifice something that isn't that important in exchange for a better score and in turn a much better future for myself.
4. I have a lot to prove to many people. I want a legal career so badly that I gave up a lot to dedicate myself to this exam. I actually quit my job to pursue something that I finally realized is a real passion of mine.

In closing, just because one has issues with focus (which by the way I'm taking the test with no accommodations to show just how capable I am when I want something bad enough) you cannot conclude anything in regards to what they may want or not want as well as what may or may not be a good choice for their future.

Have a great day :)
I took the test 4 years ago, forget how long it is, my bad bro.

And I stand by the advice (as will many practicing lawyers and law students) that I wish I had studied less intensely for the LSAT. Burn out is real.

2. True, motivation and attention are different things. That being said, success in law school and general day-to-day legal practice requires you to focus and maintain attention with absolute precision for many hours per day. One may be motivated, but without the ability to focus and maintain his or her attention for significant periods of time, success will be hard to come by.

3. I'm not saying you won't do well or that this plan won't work for you. Hell, you might get a 180. Nor am I saying a legal career isn't for you... I'm simply pointing out that "attention span" is a critical part of the gig and its not something that can simply be overcome by "passion", particularly when that passion gets driven away by burnout.

And as others have said... Get off TLS... its not exactly a productive alternative to cell phone and ipad use.

Good luck!

LitigatingLiar

Bronze

Post by LitigatingLiar » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:59 pm

GayElleWoods wrote:

i actually have really bad adhd and zero will power so i had to do something to force myself to stop procrastinating. my only issue at this point is timing because i cant focus long enough to take a full test so i made a tough choice but one that i know will benefit me.
It might not be procrastinating. You might have an internet addiction. Just like drug addiction or alcohol addiction, internet addiction is the same. for someone who's an internet addict, their brain responds the same as a drug addict getting that hit. You just might have trouble putting it away. It can also make your ADHD worse. You're not the only one. I deactivated my Facebook account two months ago. I found myself wasting too much time on that. Time better spent studying and with the wife and kids in my case.

ugg

Diamond

Post removed.

Post by ugg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by ugg on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GayElleWoods

New

Post by GayElleWoods » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:42 pm

LitigatingLiar wrote:
GayElleWoods wrote:

It might not be procrastinating. You might have an internet addiction. Just like drug addiction or alcohol addiction, internet addiction is the same. for someone who's an internet addict, their brain responds the same as a drug addict getting that hit. You just might have trouble putting it away. It can also make your ADHD worse. You're not the only one. I deactivated my Facebook account two months ago. I found myself wasting too much time on that. Time better spent studying and with the wife and kids in my case.

Im not addicted, just a procrastinator.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”