Help with RC Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TexasRebel

New

Help with RC

Post by TexasRebel » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:59 pm

I already have a 168 official score, but iv been consistently practice testing around 170-172, with the only occasional outliers being either slightly higher due to an easy RC section, or slightly lower due to a hard RC section. Although I'd guess about 70% of the practice tests I take fall between 170-172.
Obviously I'd like to retake and score as high as I can for scholarship purposes, but my biggest road block is RC. I did the whole 7Sage curriculum(which was great btw, I highly recommend it), and can consistently go -2 or less on LG, my LR sections usually average out to be about -4 between both sections (sometimes I'll go -1 on one and -3, or -0, and -4, but between the two, but -4 is consistently the average) My biggest problem breaking past the 172 mark consistently is RC. I either read slowly enough to absorb the material and be very accurate, but don't finish, or I'll go fast enough to finish all 27 questions while making mistakes. I consistently miss between 4 and 5 on most of them.

I'v tried several tactics, like reading quickly for topics i'm familiar with(I'm a business background), and going slow on the ones I'm not (sciences mostly), but it hasn't really changed my score consistently.

The only books I'v read were the power score bibles, and it didn't really help me past my initial phase of learning the test. Can anybody give me any advice or direct me to material that helped them? I also realize this may just be mental limitations, but I'd like to think that's not the case because I also tend to do very well on LR. Any advice, references, or questions are greatly appreciated! :)

PoopNpants

Silver

Re: Help with RC

Post by PoopNpants » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm in a similar position. Just picked up the Manhattan RC book, previously read the PS bible and LSAT trainer. A lot of ppl on this site highly reccomend the Manhattan RC book, I'm hoping to get through it this weekend.

TexasRebel

New

Post by TexasRebel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:47 pm

PoopNpants wrote:I'm in a similar position. Just picked up the Manhattan RC book, previously read the PS bible and LSAT trainer. A lot of ppl on this site highly reccomend the Manhattan RC book, I'm hoping to get through it this weekend.
Please let me know how that goes. If you don't mind me asking, are there specific question types that give you more trouble than the others, or is it just a time issue like mine?

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:17 pm

TexasRebel wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:I'm in a similar position. Just picked up the Manhattan RC book, previously read the PS bible and LSAT trainer. A lot of ppl on this site highly reccomend the Manhattan RC book, I'm hoping to get through it this weekend.
Please let me know how that goes. If you don't mind me asking, are there specific question types that give you more trouble than the others, or is it just a time issue like mine?
It hasn't been the Questions, but the passages from the PTs 60 and up that have been giving me trouble. I feel like RC has gotten more difficult in recent PTs, I used to breeze through the sections 1-50 with -3/4 but as I gotta to PT 61/62 I started doing alot worse like -6/7ish

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:01 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
TexasRebel wrote:
It hasn't been the Questions, but the passages from the PTs 60 and up that have been giving me trouble. I feel like RC has gotten more difficult in recent PTs, I used to breeze through the sections 1-50 with -3/4 but as I gotta to PT 61/62 I started doing alot worse like -6/7ish
in a similar boat wrt rc. how were your scores in 71, 72, 75 rc?
i was -0/-3 in pre-40s, but doing much worse in the new ones.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:32 pm

appind wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
TexasRebel wrote:
in a similar boat wrt rc. how were your scores in 71, 72, 75 rc?
i was -0/-3 in pre-40s, but doing much worse in the new ones.
Only did up to PT66 to this point, I'm taking a final time in 7 weeks. But I've read numerous posts about RC getting more difficult in recent PTs and I don't think I did well on the RC section this past Oct. LR/LG I'm pretty steady at, but RC is the one thing that is keeping from consistently being 172+. Giving it my all on Dec. but I only got PTs 67-74 to work with, and a few Superpreps too

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”