How to effectively increase the # of LR questions I get right? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lillawyer2

Silver

How to effectively increase the # of LR questions I get right?

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:56 am

So I reviewed the questions I got wrong. I understand why and how I got them wrong. Is that process done repeatedly through practice going to help me answer future LR questions correctly? Is there something else I should be doing?

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:31 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lillawyer2

Silver

Re: How to effectively increase the # of LR questions I get right?

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:52 am

mornincounselor wrote:If by "understand[ing] why and how [you] got them wrong" you mean that you identified either (a) the specific tactic you misapplied originally, and have learned through extensive repetition to not make a similar error, or (b) you identified the specific words or words which tricked you into eliminating the correct choice and/or the specific word or words that led you to select the trap answer you did and you now, through extensive repetition, will no longer fall for similarly worded trap answers, then yes this is precisely what you should be doing.

Beyond that it is also important to have an understanding of why every incorrect choice is uncredited. You might be able to pick an answer for a simple question without eliminating all the incorrect choices ONLY because the right answer jumps out at you. But, on a harder question with a more subtle or nuanced correct choice it may be primarily through elimination of the incorrect choices that you land on the correct answer in the prescribed time. Then, the skills you used in fully eliminating the incorrect choices on the easier question will pay a role in the timely selection of the credited response on a more difficult question.

hmmm...I do not think I am as thorough nor do I have that in depth understanding of the flaw. I will print this out and remind myself how I should approach wrong answers THANX

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:54 pm

When I get a question wrong and then look at the question a second time. I immediately realize it is wrong then forget how and why I chose the answer. It seems to make no sense then its hard for me to find how I made the mistake. I know the flaw. I found the support and the conclusion. Yet when I sometimes get to the answer choices I pick the wrong one. It seemed like the write one and made 100% sense in the moment. What am I doing wrong. Is my brain just farting while I'm trying to work here?

lpadr009

New

Post by lpadr009 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:11 pm

not trying to be a smart ass...but dont you think the time constraint is the reason you got it wrong? when youre not under time pressure and relaxed your brain works very differently.

so the only way to fix this is by practicing under time pressure

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:32 pm

lpadr009 wrote:not trying to be a smart ass...but dont you think the time constraint is the reason you got it wrong? when youre not under time pressure and relaxed your brain works very differently.

so the only way to fix this is by practicing under time pressure

no your not being smart. I only answer questions under timed conditions. It may be that I'm nervous and it is keeping me from seeing clearly at times. I do feel jittery when I sometimes answer questions. I need to calm down. Are there any calming techniques I can practice? or does practicing the questions over time=a calm test taker?

lpadr009

New

Post by lpadr009 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:46 pm

one thing that helps me (sounds very simple but has worked) is thinking: "being nervous will NOT HELP me at all. im better off being chill and relaxed than jittery and anxious". just keep telling yourself that.

but with practice, the more you do questions under timed conditions the more you will get right because a) you're used to it so you feel more relaxed and b) you just get the hang of getting it right fast! (granted that you review thoroughly your mistakes)
keep practicing, dont ever give up!!! there's no time to waste feeling bad/angry/frustrated. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”