LSAT Logical Reasoning Study Advice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kcho10

New

LSAT Logical Reasoning Study Advice?

Post by kcho10 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:16 pm

Hey guys,
I've been studying for the LSAT a while now and I got to the point where I am no consistently getting about 2-4 questions wrong in my logical reasoning sections. I'm pretty happy with the improvement, but I don't really know what steps to take to improve more. I'm really hoping to get a perfect score on the logical reasoning sections on test day. Can someone who scored perfectly or almost perfectly give me advice on how I can overcome this plateau? It's been like this for a while now. Thanks in advance!

Panoptikon

New

Re: LSAT Logical Reasoning Study Advice?

Post by Panoptikon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Is there a pattern in the types of questions you're getting wrong?

kcho10

New

Post by kcho10 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks for the response! That's what concerns me. The question type I miss is pretty random. I tried slowing down and that seems to be helping out a little bit. If you have any other advice, I'd love to hear it

Op_Diom

New

Post by Op_Diom » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:07 am

kcho10 wrote:Hey guys,
I've been studying for the LSAT a while now and I got to the point where I am no consistently getting about 2-4 questions wrong in my logical reasoning sections. I'm pretty happy with the improvement, but I don't really know what steps to take to improve more. I'm really hoping to get a perfect score on the logical reasoning sections on test day. Can someone who scored perfectly or almost perfectly give me advice on how I can overcome this plateau? It's been like this for a while now. Thanks in advance!
I was at this point for awhile. I never could consistently get under -3 or -4 misses, but every now and then I got a -2. Essentially, you are getting wrong the 2-4 most difficult questions in the section (probably). The test withhold a few questions in each section that are specifically designed to be so outrageously difficult that very few can get them right. So, these q's are created with small subtle modal shifts, or important modifiers that are misleading. Are the 2-4 questions you miss generally located in the late teens to early 20's because I found that that is where most of the most difficult questions reside (sometimes in the early teens).

Basically, you have to review, review, review. Find out what part of the argument you are missing, even if the question types you miss aren't consistent. Then, write out on the booklet beside the questions, an explanation, the right answer, and why it is right. I didn't break this plateau and start missing 0 and -1 consistently until I reviewed more than I took PT's and drilled the most difficult questions while putting into practice the lessons I internalized from the extensive review sessions. You have to systematize your approach and thinking strategies so it becomes nearly automatic. Then you also need to anticipate a fair amount so you know when it is appropriate to pay extra close attention to the subtle parts of questions that continue to throw you off. If you get quicker with the easier questions, then you have more time to get the harder questions right. Hope this helps.

kcho10

New

Post by kcho10 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks for the thorough response Op_Diom. I looked over my last few sections and you're right...it varies slightly but most of the time the incorrect questions for me were concentrated towards the end/middle of the section. I will definitely try out your method. Thanks again!

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to break that plateau?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Op_Diom

New

Post by Op_Diom » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:54 am

kcho10 wrote:Thanks for the thorough response Op_Diom. I looked over my last few sections and you're right...it varies slightly but most of the time the incorrect questions for me were concentrated towards the end/middle of the section. I will definitely try out your method. Thanks again!

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to break that plateau?
It took about 2-3 weeks of diligent and consistent work (~4 steady hours a day). Basically, I got fed up with my previous results, since I was making very little progress, and constantly getting caught up in plateaus. So, I decided to totally revamp my approach. Essentially, when you hit a plateau, you have taken your current studying methods, approach and mental perspective to its limit and it will no longer get you higher scores.

So, go back and review slowly and closely, each and every answer choice for each question. Write out beside each answer choice, why it is wrong or right. Also, try underlining the key part of the stimulus as if you are trying to anticipate what part will make or break an answer choice. Then, underline the part of an answer that either makes it wrong or right, along with the written out explanation. This is not really a 'method', this is simply deconstructing questions, which is necessary to truly understand their structure and function from the perspective that the test-writers desire. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Op_Diom on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vkremez

New

Post by vkremez » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Great response by OP_Diom.

The key is to properly review and analyze any and all missed questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”