Is PTing with no breaks a bad idea? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sndeloss

New

Is PTing with no breaks a bad idea?

Post by sndeloss » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Normally the consensus is to PT as close to real test conditions as possible, in order to get the most realistic experience in terms of fatigue, etc.

So far I've been doing PTs with only four sections, but no breaks (1-2-3-4) which has been... an ordeal.

Now that I'm adding an experimental section to each PT, would it be unwise to do them all in a row with no breaks (1-2-3-4-5)? Or should I stick to the standard (1-2-3-break-4-5)?

On one hand I feel that practicing with (1-2-3-4-5) would be good prep for (1-2-3-break-4-5), but I also don't know if skipping the breaks would have any negative effects.

Thoughts?

ChinaCat

New

Re: Is PTing with no breaks a bad idea?

Post by ChinaCat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:16 pm

I think you could do it either way. I don't think it will make a difference. When I was studying I didn't notice any difference in my scores when I did 4 section vs. 5 section or with a break vs. without a break.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:59 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:08 am

I say take the break although I don't think its a big deal. Perhaps you never get to realize that you lose your focus over the break until they force you to take one.

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:54 am

I agree with all of this as well.

Regarding adding in an experimental section:

IMO, you absolutely have to do an experimental section when you PT because during the actual test there will be one section that takes mental energy out of you and counts for nothing. You have to replicate this. Assuming that you have PDF files of LSATs, you can break up old tests into their individual sections (For example, PTs 35-50) and use newer ones (50+) for actual, full length PTing. Have a friend or family member insert the older sections into the actual prep tests you are doing. For example, add Section 1 of an older LR immediately before or after section 1 of a given PT so that it blends in. You'll know that you had two sections with ones across the top of the sheet, but not necessarily which was experimental and which was actual. I've done this and it lessens my ability to determine which is the experimental section of the test when I PT. IMO, you absolutely have to do an experimental section when you PT because during the actual test there will be one section that takes mental energy out of you and counts for nothing. You have to replicate this.

Regarding the 15 min break, I concur w/ mornincounselor. You want to gauge how long you have to eat, take a deep breath, etc. Also, you want to just be sitting there in suspense for 5 minutes or so waiting as everyone has their ID cards checked and tests handed back to them. That's the same suspense you'll face on test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:53 pm

Take the break. You need to practice guarding against the possible loss of momentum going into section 4.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Also, you don't have to do complicated things to get the 5th section in there. While it won't perfectly correlate with the scaled score, you can simply pick another test section and do it on the end or at the beginning of the test. Score it as you would your other sections and see what scores you would get if you substituted the extra section for one of the ones in the actual test. Like I said, it won't perfectly match up with the scale (due to difficulty), but you should get somewhere in the ballpark.

LitigatingLiar

Bronze

Post by LitigatingLiar » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:33 pm

Try a test or two with the break and see how it goes. My reasoning is, when you test, you're going to try and get into a zone. You're going to have to stop and take a break on test day. You might have trouble getting back into your zone on test day after stopping for 15 minutes and hearing people outside bitch and complain about a particular game or question. It might not be the same thing, but I've been interrupted when testing and I usually miss a question or two right after. Just make sure you can get back into your zone afterward.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:21 pm

If you're going to skip the experimental sections, I would recommend my method: taking two four section tests in a row with a moderate break in between. It's a bit of a nightmare, but five sections will feel like a breeze compared to eight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”