Deleted Post Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PJam1989

New

Deleted Post

Post by PJam1989 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Deleted Post
Last edited by PJam1989 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ptittle

New

Re: Reading Comprehension Help

Post by ptittle » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:58 pm

I've posted a few blog pieces on the topic over at Ms. JD. Might be helpful!

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:05 pm

I was averaging -10 on RC and decided to buy the Manhattan Reading Comp book. It's been helpful so far. Went -4 on my last PT, which included doing one passage by only reading a couple paragraphs. It's pretty basic, but the way it explains incorrect answer choices really helped me.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Perhaps try another source that can help break it down more thoroughly. In addition, make sure to always read full answer explanations for both correct and incorrect answers as well as taking notes to help trigger that question in your mind when you go back for review.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:20 am

mist4bison wrote:I was averaging -10 on RC and decided to buy the Manhattan Reading Comp book. It's been helpful so far. Went -4 on my last PT, which included doing one passage by only reading a couple paragraphs. It's pretty basic, but the way it explains incorrect answer choices really helped me.
This is good to hear! :D

I'm going around -10 on RC right now, but just bought the Manhattan book and am going through it. Hope I have the same results!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:39 am

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panoptikon

New

Post by Panoptikon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Focus on the role of sentences and paragraphs relative to the whole passage. I do my best on science passages. Why? Definitely not because I have a background in the sciences. But because science passages are where this technique really shines. I'm able to abstract away from the subject being discussed to focus on how the sentences or paragraphs I'm reading fit together. I never understand (or try to understand) everything I'm reading. I typically only spend two minutes (three at most) reading the passages, and use my remaining time to answer questions. While investing more time to understand a passage may result in a shorter amount of time spent solving questions, I've found I'm at my most accurate when I spend less time reading and more time returning to the passage in the process of answering questions.

But this is what works for me. You have to find out what works for you. Prep books will help. But this is something you have to discover on your own through trail-and-error experimentation with individual passages and PTs. Focus on your skill-set, constantly assess/evaluate yourself, and develop an RC system which fits you best. I have friends, for example, that spend a significant amount of time reading passages, and only a minute or two answering the questions. I can't do that. Their ability to retain information is far better than mine. They can do it. I can't. So, obviously, I have to develop strategies which work for me and which complement my skill-set. What am I good at? Seeing the big picture. Not missing the forest for the trees. You get the idea. This is the type of process you should constantly use to develop an RC system which works for you.

Regarding the LSAT test-prep literature, I'd recommend MLSAT and BP. BP RC's focus on secondary structures definitely took my RC skills to another level. But you should view these as training wheels. Practice with them, but once you feel like you can strike out on your own, develop your own strategies and techniques. Another example, I used to have an elaborate notation system for RC. My passages would be marked up from beginning to end. Eventually, however, I started to mentally note things I would previously note with my pencil, and I abandoned the notation system outright. My diagnostic RC passages were a mess. My RC passages now are as clean as new. I don't mark anything.

Wow. I definitely did not expect to write as much as I did. Nonetheless, wishing you the best!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”