The day before October 3rd. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MrHan

New

The day before October 3rd.

Post by MrHan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:36 am

My friends suggested me taking a break on the day before the LSAT exam. Thoughts?

nlee10

Gold

Re: The day before October 3rd.

Post by nlee10 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:55 pm

MrHan wrote:My friends suggested me taking a break on the day before the LSAT exam. Thoughts?
I see that you are relatively new here.
The traditional TLS advice is to take the day before the LSAT off. Your last PT 2-3 days before the real thing.

BlueprintJason

New

Re: The day before October 3rd.

Post by BlueprintJason » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:05 pm

nlee10 wrote:
MrHan wrote:My friends suggested me taking a break on the day before the LSAT exam. Thoughts?
I see that you are relatively new here.
The traditional TLS advice is to take the day before the LSAT off. Your last PT 2-3 days before the real thing.
I think this is correct. But I'll give one caveat.

For me, I practiced my "day of" warm up routine the day before and spent the rest of the day relaxing. So, I got up at the same time I was planning to get up the day before, ate the type of breakfast (etc.), did a few easy practice questions/games/passages for warmup (like I would on test day, about 20 minutes worth), went down to the testing center and got acquainted with the logistics and parking (this ended up being really helpful because there was a contraction detour), and spent the rest of the day reading, relaxing, and doing fun things. I also always did a reading comp passage and a logic game a hour or two before bed the night before a PT (usually a redo that I had mastered and wanted to reinforce). I always did better on PTs when I did this, so I did it the night before my exam as well.

I'm a creature of habit and routine (grew up doing athletics, which I think is why I'm like this), so for me the above was important. You do you though.

I wouldn't take a full exam or even a full section the day before the test. This might just freak you out, and even worse could wear you down. You want to be fully relaxed and recharged the day of the test. The brutal truth is that if you haven't learned it up to 2-3 days before the test, you are not going to magically put it all together the day before. (I would even argue the weak before, but there are some short term LG gains I've seen happen for students on the final week, however.). Test prep is a long term growth and ideally maintenance--it's a skills test, no facts to memorize or cram at the last minute. Use the day(s) before to taper down and get ready for the big event.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”