LSAC repeat LR questions???? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mamsiey

New

LSAC repeat LR questions????

Post by mamsiey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:48 am

Lol... Is it just me noticing this or does the LSAC repeat LR questions.. Was drilling cambridge packets today and I noticed it. Some questions were overlapping in other bundles..But that's brilliant!!!! Hope October is full of repeated questions

The Abyss

Gold

Re: LSAC repeat LR questions????

Post by The Abyss » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:53 am

mamsiey wrote:Lol... Is it just me noticing this or does the LSAC repeat LR questions.. Was drilling cambridge packets today and I noticed it. Some questions were overlapping in other bundles..But that's brilliant!!!! Hope October is full of repeated questions
They are not repeat questions. On older tests there would sometimes be two questions for a stimulus.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:56 am

The stimulus get repeated over and over, but alot of them are used in different ways with different answer choices. When drilling the CB packets you'll come across the same stimulus's over and over

Judgeasaurus_Rex

Bronze

Post by Judgeasaurus_Rex » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:58 am

mamsiey wrote:Lol... Is it just me noticing this or does the LSAC repeat LR questions.. Was drilling cambridge packets today and I noticed it. Some questions were overlapping in other bundles..But that's brilliant!!!! Hope October is full of repeated questions
That depends on which drill packets you are using. Older tests have double stem questions (same stimulus, 2 different questions asked) that appear one after the other. That may be why you are noticing that the same question paragraph is used in a necessary assumption question and then again in a strengthen question, for example. If you are using the cambridge drill packets (as I am) you may see the same stimulus repeated across the different chapters in the PDF file.

The more recent LSATs (40+ or so) do not do this any more.

I've always thought that I noticed the same stimulus appearing twice, but I think that this is more likely an example of familiarity with some of the logical structures of arguments that are re-used. For example, a typical structure I have seen many times in a resolve the paradox question asks "Why does the detective, whom the police chief claims is the BEST in the department, have the lowest success rate of solving murders?" On another test the subject matter might deal with a doctor who the supervisor claims is the best doctor, yet has the highest rate of patients who died on the operating table. He/she is given the hardest cases/most critically wounded patients.

In short, the LSAC doesn't reuse exact question stimuluses anymore, but the underlying logical structure is recycled. After all, It's a standardized test.

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:23 pm

Judge-a-saurus wrote:
That depends on which drill packets you are using. Older tests have double stem questions (same stimulus, 2 different questions asked) that appear one after the other. That may be why you are noticing that the same question paragraph is used in a necessary assumption question and then again in a strengthen question, for example. If you are using the cambridge drill packets (as I am) you may see the same stimulus repeated across the different chapters in the PDF file.

The more recent LSATs (40+ or so) do not do this any more.

I've always thought that I noticed the same stimulus appearing twice, but I think that this is more likely an example of familiarity with some of the logical structures of arguments that are re-used. For example, a typical structure I have seen many times in a resolve the paradox question asks "Why does the detective, whom the police chief claims is the BEST in the department, have the lowest success rate of solving murders?" On another test the subject matter might deal with a doctor who the supervisor claims is the best doctor, yet has the highest rate of patients who died on the operating table. He/she is given the hardest cases/most critically wounded patients.

In short, the LSAC doesn't reuse exact question stimuluses anymore, but the underlying logical structure is recycled. After all, It's a standardized test.
I specifically remember seeing the detectives question a few times, and they seemed almost exactly like one I had seem before but the answers shifted their focus. I think one answer focused on the detective and the other focused on the others in the department.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:46 pm

The Abyss wrote: They are not repeat questions. On older tests there would sometimes be two questions for a stimulus.

somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:38 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

stcait

New

Post by stcait » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:00 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:
nlee10 wrote:
The Abyss wrote: They are not repeat questions. On older tests there would sometimes be two questions for a stimulus.
This. Also, some of the stimuli are extremely similar in terms of content. To the point where a few times I thought for sure I'd seen the question before. But it wasn't the exact same stimulus.
I have noticed this too and it is the same for LG and RC...the basic logic or topic etc is very similar, but none of them is exactly the same.
I thought if I do more PT some Qs will be repeated, but well no...lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”