October LSAT and Prep question. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MrSam

Bronze

October LSAT and Prep question.

Post by MrSam » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:23 am

Hey guys and gals. My name is Sam - first time poster, long time board lurker!
I have three quick'ish questions about the LSAT. I had initially planned on taking the October LSAT, and applying for the Fall 2016 semester - providing me time to retake in December, should I need to. Originally, the plan was to study for 4 months, 40 hours a week. I did so for about 1 week back in early June. Unfortunately, I ran into a dilemma that I had to deal with, and put studying on hold.
My question now is, 1) Should I bother taking the October LSAT? Go for the December exam? Or both? I will finally be able to devote 40+ hours a week, starting around the 20th of this month.

2) I am planning on taking TestMasters, and using the Powerscore bibles. So far, I have obtained the 3 bibles and a few practice tests (I intend on taking most, if not all of them). I purchased the Superprep II book, which I am currently waiting for. Are there any other books that I should consider? Should I consider a different course? Say, Blueprint?

3) I've heard that most people read the prep books, then dive straight into their practice exams. I tend to perform well on exams if I do multiple untimed practice problems first, then time myself. Should I invest in some type of work book? Or, should I just take the practice tests?
I can think of two possible paths:
A) Use the older, official practice tests for untimed practice, then use the more modern prep tests as a diagnostic tool.
B) Invest in some type of workbook. If B, which book(s) would you recommend?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Looking forward to chatting with you all!

-Sam

ihenry

Silver

Re: October LSAT and Prep question.

Post by ihenry » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:12 am

1. October. I am jealous that you can devote 40+ hours a week. Then you have 300+ hours before the October exam which should be enough (I guess 300+ is overkill actually). Starting early gives you an edge in admissions.

2. Try a diagnostic test and see how you score. If you need serious help, go for classes. I don't have experience on this so I cannot comment which is better.

3. You can just do PTs before 40 untimed at your pace, and understand each question you got wrong. PTs, especially older ones, are not expensive. Do not invest in fake questions, though.

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:21 am

ihenry wrote:1. October. I am jealous that you can devote 40+ hours a week. Then you have 300+ hours before the October exam which should be enough (I guess 300+ is overkill actually). Starting early gives you an edge in admissions.

2. Try a diagnostic test and see how you score. If you need serious help, go for classes. I don't have experience on this so I cannot comment which is better.

3. You can just do PTs before 40 untimed at your pace, and understand each question you got wrong. PTs, especially older ones, are not expensive. Do not invest in fake questions, though.
Thanks, Henry! I actually left my job so that I can treat the test like a full time job. My position is waiting for me, so no major loss there. Anyhow, I intend on taking a diagnostic test tomorrow. Does it matter which one (e.g. earlier test, newer test, etc.)? Is there a book that uses actual LSAT questions?

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:38 am

MrSam wrote: Thanks, Henry! I actually left my job so that I can treat the test like a full time job. My position is waiting for me, so no major loss there. Anyhow, I intend on taking a diagnostic test tomorrow. Does it matter which one (e.g. earlier test, newer test, etc.)? Is there a book that uses actual LSAT questions?
Recent PTs. The free sample paper on LSAC website (June 2007) is a good starting point.

Bibles use actual LSAT questions. I believe Cambridge also offers real questions organized by types. I personally mainly used PTs but if there are some particular types of questions that don't click well to you, these prep books will surely be of great value. Also you may want to read their logic games solutions to get an idea of diagramming/inferences.

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:30 pm

ihenry wrote:
MrSam wrote: Thanks, Henry! I actually left my job so that I can treat the test like a full time job. My position is waiting for me, so no major loss there. Anyhow, I intend on taking a diagnostic test tomorrow. Does it matter which one (e.g. earlier test, newer test, etc.)? Is there a book that uses actual LSAT questions?
Recent PTs. The free sample paper on LSAC website (June 2007) is a good starting point.

Bibles use actual LSAT questions. I believe Cambridge also offers real questions organized by types. I personally mainly used PTs but if there are some particular types of questions that don't click well to you, these prep books will surely be of great value. Also you may want to read their logic games solutions to get an idea of diagramming/inferences.
Thanks again, Henry. I'll stick with the bibles and PTs. Could you recommend any sites or books that provide reasoning for the answers in the PTs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:36 pm

MrSam wrote:
Thanks again, Henry. I'll stick with the bibles and PTs. Could you recommend any sites or books that provide reasoning for the answers in the PTs?
Manhattan prep forums. Just google something like "preptest 27 lr" and the first result usually directs you there.

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:42 pm

ihenry wrote:
MrSam wrote:
Manhattan prep forums. Just google something like "preptest 27 lr" and the first result usually directs you there.
Great! Again, thank you for all of your help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”