Taking older LSAT PT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dontrogerthat

New

Taking older LSAT PT

Post by dontrogerthat » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:59 pm

I have researched if taking older LSAT PT was a bad idea but the feedback seems really confusing. I have PT 7-18 that I've never taken. I took my first diagnostic yesterday of a June 2007 test. Would it have a negative impact if I took those tests since they are so old and different? Or would it be good for me to take them? I just don't want to waste my most recent 20 PT until a month before the test.

ltowns1

Silver

Re: Taking older LSAT PT

Post by ltowns1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:05 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:I have researched if taking older LSAT PT was a bad idea but the feedback seems really confusing. I have PT 7-18 that I've never taken. I took my first diagnostic yesterday of a June 2007 test. Would it have a negative impact if I took those tests since they are so old and different? Or would it be good for me to take them? I just don't want to waste my most recent 20 PT until a month before the test.

It's always better to get exposed to the test. I would suggest you use earlier sections for individually practicing sections. Yes some of the material and concepts may not be tested as much, but i think older tests are always useful. (Especially games)

Blueprint Ben

Bronze

Re: Taking older LSAT PT

Post by Blueprint Ben » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:08 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:I have researched if taking older LSAT PT was a bad idea but the feedback seems really confusing. I have PT 7-18 that I've never taken. I took my first diagnostic yesterday of a June 2007 test. Would it have a negative impact if I took those tests since they are so old and different? Or would it be good for me to take them? I just don't want to waste my most recent 20 PT until a month before the test.
No exposure to real LSAT questions can ever have a negative impact on you. The old LSAT questions are still very, very relevant. But you would be better off using old tests for individual sections or question drilling untimed & separated by type. Use recent, post-June 2007 (52-74) PTs for simulating test day conditions.

The reason isn't that the old PTs are so radically different from the recent ones that they'll throw you off your game. But there are some subtle (and not so subtle) differences and trends that you'll want to be aware of before you sit for the real thing. You might find yourself scoring a bit higher on the old tests than you do on the recent ones, but not necessarily. The important consideration is this: You should ideally spend the majority of your time NOT taking full PTs, but drilling questions by type. Might as well use the old tests for drilling and the recent tests for full timed PTs.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”