Should you PT then drill? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
betterLawyerUP

Bronze

Should you PT then drill?

Post by betterLawyerUP » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:11 am

I would really like some input on this. Im in the beginner stage and rather than doing the REAL LSAT drill questions in testprep i tend to skip them. Obviously I do not retain as much of the method this way, but it allows me to take the PT's fresh, then return to drilling for repetition and reviewing mistakes.

For example, all logic games in 7-15 would be new to me, then eventually I would revisit them in the LRB, which would aide in the next cluster of PTs and so on (say 16-22). This allows me to really gauge my progress, but then again there isnt much as most involve new methods. I am just hesitant of going through the LRB which takes questions from preps 1-51 I think, which basically gives me false assessments of my actual score when I take them in the future, ultimately leaving me ~20 or so fresh PTs leftover (52-70ish).

NonTradLawHopeful

Bronze

Re: Should you PT then drill?

Post by NonTradLawHopeful » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 am

It depends on the person. I don't know very many people who use all 70+ PTs as full tests. Typically 1-38 is used for drilling because that is how the Cambridge packets are set up.

I find no issue with going through the drills in the prep books and then using 52-74 for PTs.

Part of your PT plan depends on how long you plan on studying too.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:23 am

Cambridge packets (PT 1-38) should be used for drilling concepts. PT 39-52 should be used for timed sections. PT 53-74 should be used for timed PTs.

Blueprint Ben

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Ben » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:46 am

betterLawyerUP wrote:I would really like some input on this. Im in the beginner stage and rather than doing the REAL LSAT drill questions in testprep i tend to skip them. Obviously I do not retain as much of the method this way, but it allows me to take the PT's fresh, then return to drilling for repetition and reviewing mistakes.

For example, all logic games in 7-15 would be new to me, then eventually I would revisit them in the LRB, which would aide in the next cluster of PTs and so on (say 16-22). This allows me to really gauge my progress, but then again there isnt much as most involve new methods. I am just hesitant of going through the LRB which takes questions from preps 1-51 I think, which basically gives me false assessments of my actual score when I take them in the future, ultimately leaving me ~20 or so fresh PTs leftover (52-70ish).
The short answer to your question is no. Absolutely not. Your drilling phase is the most important part of your prep. Drilling comes first, and you should drill all the way through to the end, even during your PT phase. The reason is that drilling by question type is the thing that makes you better. More than anything else you do. PTing is just a tool to gauge the progress you've made through drilling. A PT is not a study tool as much as it is a scale that you step on once or twice a week to get a sense of how close you are to your goals. Drilling packets are where all of the magic happens.

Also, so many people make the mistaken assumption that they should be preserving the sanctity/innocence of their PTs by keeping them "fresh." Honestly, this doesn't matter at all. The more times you solve a question, the better you are at solving that type of question. Period. Even if your PT scores end up being inflated a little bit, it's not going to hurt you as long as you keep your head down and continue doing the work. It's so much better to have done a question/section/PT multiple times than it is to have done it only once.

betterLawyerUP

Bronze

Post by betterLawyerUP » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:25 pm

BP Ben wrote:
betterLawyerUP wrote:I would really like some input on this. Im in the beginner stage and rather than doing the REAL LSAT drill questions in testprep i tend to skip them. Obviously I do not retain as much of the method this way, but it allows me to take the PT's fresh, then return to drilling for repetition and reviewing mistakes.

The short answer to your question is no. Absolutely not. Your drilling phase is the most important part of your prep. Drilling comes first, and you should drill all the way through to the end, even during your PT phase. The reason is that drilling by question type is the thing that makes you better. More than anything else you do. PTing is just a tool to gauge the progress you've made through drilling. A PT is not a study tool as much as it is a scale that you step on once or twice a week to get a sense of how close you are to your goals. Drilling packets are where all of the magic happens.

Also, so many people make the mistaken assumption that they should be preserving the sanctity/innocence of their PTs by keeping them "fresh." Honestly, this doesn't matter at all. The more times you solve a question, the better you are at solving that type of question. Period. Even if your PT scores end up being inflated a little bit, it's not going to hurt you as long as you keep your head down and continue doing the work. It's so much better to have done a question/section/PT multiple times than it is to have done it only once.
Thanks for the input. I unfortunately made the mistake of purchasing the PTs 7-38, so I am coming across the dilemma of whether to purchase the packets now in addition. All the prices are adding up and i dont know whether to just do the PTs multiple times or spring some cash for the cambridge packets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blueprint Ben

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Ben » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:34 pm

betterLawyerUP wrote: Thanks for the input. I unfortunately made the mistake of purchasing the PTs 7-38, so I am coming across the dilemma of whether to purchase the packets now in addition. All the prices are adding up and i dont know whether to just do the PTs multiple times or spring some cash for the cambridge packets.
You need the packets. Seriously. It's the best investment you'll ever make. You aren't studying for the LSAT if you aren't drilling questions by type.

The other option, if you're really strapped for cash, would be to separate the questions yourself by question type (if you know the types well enough to do that). It will take you a really long time, since I imagine you would have to do a lot of literal cutting, pasting, and photocopying. But if you really can't scrape together enough to buy the packets, then you can make them yourself.

Also, it sounds like you might have the PTs 1-38 in hard copy. That's a mistake, since you will probably have to drill questions and take PTs multiple times over. You really, really should buy PDFs of all the tests and drills. That's the most important investment you can make for your preparation, and I honestly don't think you can study effectively without them.

betterLawyerUP

Bronze

Post by betterLawyerUP » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:41 pm

BP Ben wrote:
betterLawyerUP wrote: Thanks for the input. I unfortunately made the mistake of purchasing the PTs 7-38, so I am coming across the dilemma of whether to purchase the packets now in addition. All the prices are adding up and i dont know whether to just do the PTs multiple times or spring some cash for the cambridge packets.
You need the packets. Seriously. It's the best investment you'll ever make. You aren't studying for the LSAT if you aren't drilling questions by type.

The other option, if you're really strapped for cash, would be to separate the questions yourself by question type (if you know the types well enough to do that). It will take you a really long time, since I imagine you would have to do a lot of literal cutting, pasting, and photocopying. But if you really can't scrape together enough to buy the packets, then you can make them yourself.

Also, it sounds like you might have the PTs 1-38 in hard copy. That's a mistake, since you will probably have to drill questions and take PTs multiple times over. You really, really should buy PDFs of all the tests and drills. That's the most important investment you can make for your preparation, and I honestly don't think you can study effectively without them.
Thanks a lot man, I actually have been keeping them clean and using scrap paper, erasing any notations I make. I am looking at the bundles and if you can help clarify before I make a purchase I would appreciate it. It seems the bundle for $280 covers everything if im not mistaken. All questions from PTs 1-38 grouped by type which you can print out and drill, and all the full exams from 39-70. So if I am correct all I would be missing is 71,72,73?

Blueprint Ben

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Ben » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:48 pm

betterLawyerUP wrote: Thanks a lot man, I actually have been keeping them clean and using scrap paper, erasing any notations I make. I am looking at the bundles and if you can help clarify before I make a purchase I would appreciate it. It seems the bundle for $280 covers everything if im not mistaken. All questions from PTs 1-38 grouped by type which you can print out and drill, and all the full exams from 39-70. So if I am correct all I would be missing is 71,72,73?
Yup, that's the one I got when I was studying. It's definitely worth the money.

I wouldn't recommend going the scrap paper route, since it doesn't allow you to practice the kinds of marks you should be making when you take the actual test. Like, you can't get into the rhythm of marking conclusion/support in LR, diagramming LG in the space provided, and marking up RC passages as you read to stay active. By the time you hit the real test, all of that should be 100% muscle memory. It's just something you do automatically every time you read a stimulus/passage/do a game setup. If you're not marking up your drills and PTs that way, it will definitely throw you off on test day.

betterLawyerUP

Bronze

Post by betterLawyerUP » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:55 pm

BP Ben wrote:
betterLawyerUP wrote: Thanks a lot man, I actually have been keeping them clean and using scrap paper, erasing any notations I make. I am looking at the bundles and if you can help clarify before I make a purchase I would appreciate it. It seems the bundle for $280 covers everything if im not mistaken. All questions from PTs 1-38 grouped by type which you can print out and drill, and all the full exams from 39-70. So if I am correct all I would be missing is 71,72,73?
Yup, that's the one I got when I was studying. It's definitely worth the money.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend going the scrap paper route, since it doesn't allow you to practice the kinds of marks you should be making when you take the actual test. Like, you can't get into the rhythm of marking conclusion/support in LR, diagramming LG in the space provided, and marking up RC passages as you read to stay active. By the time you hit the real test, all of that should be 100% muscle memory. It's just something you do automatically every time you read a stimulus/passage/do a game setup. If you're not marking up your drills and PTs that way, it will definitely throw you off on test day.

Thanks Ben I appreciate it, there goes $280. How are you measuring your progress via analytics? I heard some people create their own excel but I have just been using the free 7sage system.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

betterLawyerUP

Bronze

Post by betterLawyerUP » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:00 pm

I forgot to add how many ink cartridges you guys go through?

Blueprint Ben

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Ben » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:34 pm

betterLawyerUP wrote: Thanks Ben I appreciate it, there goes $280. How are you measuring your progress via analytics? I heard some people create their own excel but I have just been using the free 7sage system.
There are a lot of different ways to do it. When I was studying, I just made my own catch-all spreadsheet, since I knew what I should be tracking, and I wanted it to be personalized. It included logged study hours (itemized by question type), individual section scores, PT breakdowns, etc.

A lot of people use the 7sage service for grading PTs and logging blind review scores, which is great because it tracks which question types are giving you the most trouble.

betterLawyerUP

Bronze

Post by betterLawyerUP » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:25 pm

Hate to be a nuisance, but I am about to purchase the cambridge packets and I was wondering if people could share how many pages are in the bundles (how many pages in drills 1-38, and how many in PTs 39-70)? Anybody share their experiences with printing costs, Staples is going to cost me around $80 just for 700 pages so I dont know exactly what to do

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”