Where to Start studying (beginner question) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Secretjuly

New

Where to Start studying (beginner question)

Post by Secretjuly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:19 pm

I've spent the past few weeks lurking. I finally made an account, and I have a few questions I wanted to ask you fine folk.

The general consensus I think I have gotten is for prep books to use the Manhattan one for LR and the power score bible for the games. Is that correct? Also that some people advocate for prep courses while others didn't need them. I do have the resources to take one if need be, so I wanted to ask which prep courses are considered to be the top.

Im a second semester Junior with a GPA of 3.468 who really let college get the best of me but I've buckled down quite a bit and I know I can raise my GPA a bit more. That is why I want to dedicate a lot of time to the LSAT this summer. I only have classes tuesday thursday this semester and can dedicate some days to start studying now.

Another question I have is where to start studying? I know people say to take a diagnostic test, but I do not know where to find those.

Thanks in advance

PS. I bolded my questions to make them easier to find

Edit #1- Just wanted to give some stats I am an ethnic minority, with good extra curricular activities like being an RA on campus and a founding father of a Fraternity at my campus
Last edited by Secretjuly on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Gold

Re: Where to Start studying (beginner question)

Post by nlee10 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:22 pm

http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... ptjune.pdf
Use this free diag test. Come back to us with your score breakdown (-x per section).
Last edited by nlee10 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Do what Nlee said then come back! Good Luck!

Also, Prep-wise, I'd start with the books and see how you do on those. Get the Cambridge packets and you should be fine with those and the Manhattan and Powerscore books. If not, then you can try a course, but many courses just force you to study rather than have truly positive effects IMO. My course was not great so I'm biased.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Just want to add TAKE YOUR DIAGNOSTIC WITH PROPER TIMING. Untimed tests mean nothing.

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:31 pm

if you want to go the course route I would say look into both Velocity and 7sage as they are decently priced and very well regarded. Both have some free content you can check out

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Secretjuly

New

Post by Secretjuly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Just took the diagnostic test and wow I did a lot worse then I thought would have :shock:

Part 1- 9/23 (I only got to question 17 when the time ran out)
Part 2-17/25
Part 3-15/25
Part 4- 17-27

I guess its good I'm hitting the books early

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Secretjuly wrote:Just took the diagnostic test and wow I did a lot worse then I thought would have :shock:

Part 1- 9/23 (I only got to question 17 when the time ran out)
Part 2-17/25
Part 3-15/25
Part 4- 17-27

I guess its good I'm hitting the books early
What's the scaled score? What are these sections? I'm guessing the first is LG.

Secretjuly

New

Post by Secretjuly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 pm

The scaled score was a 148. it was the june 2007 exam

The first was Logic Games

Second was Logical Reasoning

Third was Analytical reasoning

4th was RC

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Analytical reasoning and logic games are two names for the same thing. One of those must have been LR.

Anyway, sure, that's not an amazing score, but almost half of people do that bad when they take the LSAT for real, so you're not in a terrible place. Doing poorly on LG isn't that bad either, since it's the easiest to improve on.

Like you said, just hit the books and you'll probably make massive improvements fairly quickly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Secretjuly

New

Post by Secretjuly » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:15 am

True, I wasn't expecting a really high score because I've never studied anything regarding the LSAT. Its good to set a baseline score for when I do study.

Now I'm more motivated to study harder and do well 8)

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:27 am

Secretjuly wrote:I've spent the past few weeks lurking. I finally made an account, and I have a few questions I wanted to ask you fine folk.

The general consensus I think I have gotten is for prep books to use the Manhattan one for LR and the power score bible for the games. Is that correct? Also that some people advocate for prep courses while others didn't need them. I do have the resources to take one if need be, so I wanted to ask which prep courses are considered to be the top.

Im a second semester Junior with a GPA of 3.468 who really let college get the best of me but I've buckled down quite a bit and I know I can raise my GPA a bit more. That is why I want to dedicate a lot of time to the LSAT this summer. I only have classes tuesday thursday this semester and can dedicate some days to start studying now.

Another question I have is where to start studying? I know people say to take a diagnostic test, but I do not know where to find those.

Thanks in advance

PS. I bolded my questions to make them easier to find

Edit #1- Just wanted to give some stats I am an ethnic minority, with good extra curricular activities like being an RA on campus and a founding father of a Fraternity at my campus
As in ethnic minority are you African-American, American Indian, Mexican-American, or Puerto Rican?

NutellaDipity

New

Post by NutellaDipity » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:28 am

Smallville wrote:if you want to go the course route I would say look into both Velocity and 7sage as they are decently priced and very well regarded. Both have some free content you can check out
+1 for 7sage. I started with the bibles and then took the full 7sage course, although time was restrained and i had to skip a lot. don't do that. take all the time you need to go through the lectures and then prep test 2-3 times/week. good luck!

Secretjuly

New

Post by Secretjuly » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:37 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
Secretjuly wrote: Edit #1- Just wanted to give some stats I am an ethnic minority, with good extra curricular activities like being an RA on campus and a founding father of a Fraternity at my campus
As in ethnic minority are you African-American, American Indian, Mexican-American, or Puerto Rican?
I might have Misread that My parents are Pakistani, I thought that was considered a minority.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:00 am

Secretjuly wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:
Secretjuly wrote: Edit #1- Just wanted to give some stats I am an ethnic minority, with good extra curricular activities like being an RA on campus and a founding father of a Fraternity at my campus
I might have Misread that My parents are Pakistani, I thought that was considered a minority.
What matters in law school admissions is whether you're a URM (under-represented minority) or not. Pakistanis are unfortunately not URM's so you cannot count on an admissions bump.

And I agree with the prep materials suggested. A 148 diagnostic really isn't too shabby. My diagnostic was right around there and I've improved immensely. A ton of improvement is normal in the beginning as you learn basic concepts and how to tackle questions.

Ataris

New

Post by Ataris » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Long time lurker, I also am looking for some advice.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Ataris wrote:Long time lurker, I also am looking for some advice.
...okay. Anything more specific?

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:47 pm

bubble the right answers

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:49 pm

-_-
Last edited by Smallville on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Smallville wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
...okay. Anything more specific?
some background info for ya Rigo :wink:
ashca2014 wrote:
JackelJ wrote:What was your diagnostic score and/or PT scores? blueprint is great for getting you into the 160s but after that it'll take a lot of self studying to improve into the 170s. (took a blueprint class myself and am now self-studying)
My diagnostic was 145. I also have the power score bibles though.
also
ashca2014 wrote:Hey Everyone!

I took my first diagnostic practice LSAT yesterday, and I scored a 145. I was pretty bummed about it.

I was wondering if anyone could offer information on how much I can expect to improve before taking the real test in June.
I have been diagnosed with general anxiety, depression, and ADHD (I take medication for these issues), and I know that this can be a hinderance to my progress. However, I am very committed to improving and pursuing law school.

Would anyone who has been in a similar situation be willing to offer insight/advice? I would also like to hear from anyone who made significant improvements with a PT score that was particularly low. Thank you!
Why are you giving background info for an entirely different poster?

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Dirigo wrote: Why are you giving background info for an entirely different poster?
BC RC is my worst section and just noticed the same first letter, no tar and new poster and then moved threads and just merged the 2 in my head
im smert

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”