Accommodated Testing Help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MattM

Bronze

Accommodated Testing Help

Post by MattM » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Does anyone know if you can ask for extra time on just one section compared to extra time for the exam as a whole?

I have been considering asking for that as I only really need it for Reading Comp....vision problem where I only have reading vision from one eye and unfortunately an 18 point font LSAT will not help me read from the left eye to compensate.

I don't really have as much of a problem with this in LR or LG as there is less reading involved/ i can see question stem and choices well out of the right eye

MattM

Bronze

Re: Accommodated Testing Help

Post by MattM » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:00 pm

I spoke to LSAC over the phone about it and they said they have never heard anyone just ask for extra time on only one section.

I find that kind of odd since there probably have been situations where extra time was needed for a particular section instead of the whole test

I think though asking for extra time on RC only is the right thing though since it's where i need the time and I feel they would be more likely to give me extra time on RC only if I sought time on that one section compared to the whole test since the LSAT is a time pressured exam.

If anyone has had any thoughts/or experiences with asking for extra time on just one section let me know!

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:31 pm

I am not an LSAC official so I have no idea what they'd think, but I think you would need to demonstrate with some kind of diagnosis or something that RC is really different enough from the other sections and your disability really specific to RC only. I think accommodations on one section would look a little weird, given that the basic physical requirements of each section are pretty similar.

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:07 am

mist4bison wrote:I feel like it's a little suspect to only ask for accommodations for one section. It makes me think that really it's a timing issue with RC, especially since LR is quite a bit of reading, too. If you're going to ask for accommodations, I'd ask for extra time on all sections, I guess, especially based on what the person you spoke to said about never hearing that request before. If you received accommodations for the SAT for the same issue it should be easier to get LSAT accommodations (at least, that's what I've heard).

I think RC is more of a problem for me than LR with only being able to read out of one eye,.....yes it probably about the same amount of reading, but there are 25 separate questions.

I can see the whole questions stem and answer choice from one eye on each LR question....but it poses a bigger problem on RC as the questions and passage are split over two page and you have to refer back to the text to answer questions, ...you need two working eyes for that section or else you are at a big disadvantage under the timed pressure

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:59 am

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:00 am

MattM wrote:
mist4bison wrote:I feel like it's a little suspect to only ask for accommodations for one section. It makes me think that really it's a timing issue with RC, especially since LR is quite a bit of reading, too. If you're going to ask for accommodations, I'd ask for extra time on all sections, I guess, especially based on what the person you spoke to said about never hearing that request before. If you received accommodations for the SAT for the same issue it should be easier to get LSAT accommodations (at least, that's what I've heard).

I think RC is more of a problem for me than LR with only being able to read out of one eye,.....yes it probably about the same amount of reading, but there are 25 separate questions.

I can see the whole questions stem and answer choice from one eye on each LR question....but it poses a bigger problem on RC as the questions and passage are split over two page and you have to refer back to the text to answer questions, ...you need two working eyes for that section or else you are at a big disadvantage under the timed pressure
I don't really understand this. I'm not trying to argue, but even with two good eyes I only focus on one page at a time. It isn't like one eye reads one page and the other eye reads the other. I'm sorry for your injury, but I just read a few pages with one eye closed and it made no difference to my reading speed. I suspect LSAC will similarly question why having only one good eye (assuming your vision is 100% out of that eye) would have any significant bearing in your ability to perform on the RC section.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:11 am

If everyone got extra time for only have vision out of one eye then the LSAT would be taken by far more pirates.

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Emma. wrote:
MattM wrote:

I don't really understand this. I'm not trying to argue, but even with two good eyes I only focus on one page at a time. It isn't like one eye reads one page and the other eye reads the other. I'm sorry for your injury, but I just read a few pages with one eye closed and it made no difference to my reading speed. I suspect LSAC will similarly question why having only one good eye (assuming your vision is 100% out of that eye) would have any significant bearing in your ability to perform on the RC section.
I went to my eye doctors and told them about my problem on RC to see if it was a skill thing ( that i need to practice more there) or something I would need extra time for.

Both of them felt extra time was needed so I trust their professional opinion.

I'm not trying to get an unfair advantage and willing to put in the effort for a great score on the exam....si thats why I asked my doctors if it was a matter of practice or a situation that i would need extra time for

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks for the advice!

I decided more importantly than the LSAT ....I need to focus on getting healthy so I withdrew from the Dec LSAT and will apply for the next cycle for Fall 2016.....especially given how important it will be for me at the next level to have two functioning eyes to keep up with the large amounts of reading. With reading out of only the rihgt eye it would be very difficult

Also by taking off a cycle it allows me to be closer to home after I graduate...since I haven;t really been able to get contacts, glasses , surgery etc for the left eye since i am only home for winter and summer break.

I feel like I definitely made the right call to postpone for health, quality of life, and law schools reasons.

Hopefully the next time I will be healthy so i won't even have to ask for extra time!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Post removed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”