Best way to drill LR? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bob311

Bronze

Best way to drill LR?

Post by bob311 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Hello everyone,

So I am a December retaker and I have been practice scoring from 167-172 but I feel I can do better. My problem is not in games or reading, rather in reasoning. Some sections I get 1-2 wrong, others I can get up to 7 wrong. I have been taking timed single sections, timed double sections and full-pts of 5 sections.

A lot of my fluctuation seems random. The one question type I consistently struggle with I have been drilling through the LR bible and going through every section.

The question here is what are some effective ways to drill or suggestions to help try to eliminate the fluctations in the score at the moment in reasoning. Rarely have I gone over a section and not understand more than 1 question as being down between two choices, with usually selecting the wrong answer. Any help would be great, would really like to be able to score in the mid-170s in a week and a half.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon McCarty

New

Re: Best way to drill LR?

Post by Jon McCarty » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Agree completely with referring back to the conclusion (if an argument) to help reduce some simple mistakes. Many of the most attractive incorrect answer choices modify (strengthen, weaken, etc.) a conclusion that is slightly different than the one stated so being absolutely crystal clear on the conclusion can help you stay away from those choices.

Also once you get it down to 2 answer choices, I find it easier to eliminate the incorrect one. By trying to find the correct answer choice I've found myself forcing the square peg into the round hole because I want it to fit, whereas if I focus on eliminating I can usually avoid these issues. Plus the whole answer choice has to be good for it to be correct whereas if one word is incorrect then you can eliminate that choice, making elimination an inherently easier task.

Hope this helps

bob311

Bronze

Post by bob311 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Thank you both for the tips so far. I appreciate the time. I do generally underline the conclusion, but I should try to be more diligent with other important factors in the question: Agree, disagree etc. Also I do think it getting rid of the wrong answer might be the way to go. I will try it on my next practice test. If anyone else out there has more suggestions or hints or ways to drill, keep them coming!

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:24 pm

bob311 wrote:Thank you both for the tips so far. I appreciate the time. I do generally underline the conclusion, but I should try to be more diligent with other important factors in the question: Agree, disagree etc. Also I do think it getting rid of the wrong answer might be the way to go. I will try it on my next practice test. If anyone else out there has more suggestions or hints or ways to drill, keep them coming!
I just want to stress the point that the strength of your elimination process is the most significant factor that determines how well you do on an LR section. If you're looking for the right answer, you're doing it wrong.

When you're reading answer choices, focus all of your attention on finding faults with them. Rip them to shreds. If you don't find anything wrong with an answer choice, leave it alone and come back to it. When you're left with one, choose it and don't look back. If you're left with more than one, go back to the stimulus and look harder. You missed something.

That goes for your reviewing and drilling strategy as well. Always spend the majority of your time explaining in detail what's wrong with the incorrect answer choices. Once you develop an elimination process that is efficient, ruthless, and reliable, you'll master the section.

monadologist

Bronze

Post by monadologist » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:11 pm

GreenTee wrote:
bob311 wrote:Thank you both for the tips so far. I appreciate the time. I do generally underline the conclusion, but I should try to be more diligent with other important factors in the question: Agree, disagree etc. Also I do think it getting rid of the wrong answer might be the way to go. I will try it on my next practice test. If anyone else out there has more suggestions or hints or ways to drill, keep them coming!
I just want to stress the point that the strength of your elimination process is the most significant factor that determines how well you do on an LR section. If you're looking for the right answer, you're doing it wrong.

When you're reading answer choices, focus all of your attention on finding faults with them. Rip them to shreds. If you don't find anything wrong with an answer choice, leave it alone and come back to it. When you're left with one, choose it and don't look back. If you're left with more than one, go back to the stimulus and look harder. You missed something.

That goes for your reviewing and drilling strategy as well. Always spend the majority of your time explaining in detail what's wrong with the incorrect answer choices. Once you develop an elimination process that is efficient, ruthless, and reliable, you'll master the section.
Excellent advice, IMO this is the single most important fundamental skill of LR

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”