Retake-- twice? (Strange situation.) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
pizzicatodreams

New

Retake-- twice? (Strange situation.)

Post by pizzicatodreams » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:34 am

Hey everyone. So here's my situation:

I graduated from a top-tier ivy in May 2013 with a 3.82 with 200+ credits credits (120 required for graduation.) I'm a URM (hispanic), I've got a lot of relevant international work experience, speak more than 10 languages, and would have great recs. I'm really shooting for HYS. (I'm sure anyone who knows me and is reading this right now can already identify me.)

I took the June 2014 test in the States and was ridiculously prepared. I was PT'ing a 175 average and almost NEVER scored below a 170. (My diagnostic was a 168.) However, in the middle of the test I realized I had misbubbled the second section, cancelled my score right there, and walked out. It was super disappointing, but such is life.

I recently took the September 2014 test in Central Asia. The month leading up to the test I had serious visa issues and had to travel to Kyrgyzstan and Turkey for several weeks to sort things out. I only came back a few days before the test. This really cut into my studying and I barely got to review. Although I was confident and still really knew my stuff, during the actual test I froze up during the logic games and basically guessed on half of the third game and the whole fourth game. It was worse than I had ever done. And I got a 167, which is below any PT I had ever done, including my diagnostic.

Should I retake it a third time given the circumstances? I really think I scored way below my potential, and my reasons for cancelling the first time had nothing to do with performance. On the one hand, I don't want adcoms to think I'm batshit crazy. On the other, I really can't see how retaking it and doing better would be worse than applying with this score. Would it help? Do I still have a shot at HYS? Thoughts?
Last edited by pizzicatodreams on Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Gold

Re: Retake-- twice? (Strange situation.)

Post by patogordo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:37 am

scoring lower than expected isn't exactly a strange situation bro. retake

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:47 am

It sounds like you've made up your mind and you're looking for affirmation. In which case, I agree with your conclusion.

pizzicatodreams

New

Post by pizzicatodreams » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:55 am

msp8 wrote:It sounds like you've made up your mind and you're looking for affirmation. In which case, I agree with your conclusion.
Haha yes I guess that is what I'm looking for. I'm also beating myself up a bit because I'm not sure if I've ruined my chances for HYS because of this. I've gotten the sense that retaking for HYS isn't super meaningful, but I could be completely off.

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:58 am

I can't provide any insight there.

But you're in the position now where it doesn't really matter. If you maximise your efforts on your retake and put together a solid application, I'm certain you'll get strong consideration at least. Certainly won't hurt. And will help with any backup options, too.

So, affirmation provided a second time!

What languages do you speak?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:08 am

pizzicatodreams wrote:Hey everyone. So here's my situation:

I graduated from a top-tier ivy in May 2013 with a 3.82 with 200+ credits credits (120 required for graduation.) I'm a URM (hispanic), I've got a lot of relevant international work experience, speak more than 10 languages, and would have great recs. I'm really shooting for HYS. (I'm sure anyone who knows me and is reading this right now can already identify me.)

I took the June 2014 test in the States and was ridiculously prepared.
I was PT'ing a 175 average and almost NEVER scored below a 170. (My diagnostic was a 168.) However, in the middle of the test I realized I had misbubbled the second section, cancelled my score right there, and walked out. It was super disappointing, but such is life.

I recently took the September 2014 test in Central Asia. The month leading up to the test I had serious visa issues and had to travel to Kyrgyzstan and Turkey for several weeks to sort things out. I only came back a few days before the test. This really cut into my studying and I barely got to review. Although I was confident and still really knew my stuff, during the actual test I froze up during the logic games and basically guessed on half of the third game and the whole fourth game. It was worse than I had ever done. And I got a 167, which is below any PT I had ever done, including my diagnostic.

Should I retake it a third time given the circumstances?
I really think I scored way below my potential, and my reasons for cancelling the first time had nothing to do with performance. On the one hand, I don't want adcoms to think I'm batshit crazy. On the other, I really can't see how retaking it and doing better would be worse than applying with this score. Would it help? Do I still have a shot at HYS? Thoughts?
looks like you answered your question

ETA: from another thread
lc39 wrote:
person asking about retakes w/ harvard wrote:What about Harvard?
From their website:

Should I retake the LSAT?
The LSAT need be taken only once. If you take the test more than once, all scores will be received but we will use the highest score in our evaluation.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 am

I am retaking a similar score. If a 167 is not accurate show of your ability, you should retake.

Can you do December? You sound like you'll have an incredibly strong application once 170+.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Yes, definitely.

Well, I'll qualify that to say "not if there's anything in play that could have a similar impact this time around."

But, anticipating smoother sailing, there's no downside to retaking--and I'm usually not as enthusiastic about the prospect of retaking as many of the regulars here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”