Help... taking the LSAT four times? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
YorkshireRose

New

Help... taking the LSAT four times?

Post by YorkshireRose » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Just in need of some advice and/or anecdotal evidence. I might take the LSAT a fourth time this December. I got a 161 on the Oct 2011 test, 164 in Oct 2013, and 167 on the most recent LSAT. Just short of my goal, which is agonizing. I didn't study much for the first two takes, but I studied for about 5 months straight every day for that 167 and I'm pretty disappointed. I choked on one of the logic games, which is usually my best section, and missed 3 questions (where I normally miss zero). Now I'm wondering if it's worth it to take the LSAT one more time. I do believe I can crack 170, and I made significant improvements in the RC and LR sections (down to -4 where I was normally -8). I have a modified study plan in mind for the re-take, mainly involving LG drilling. I know I can do better. But… I'm worried about how 4 scores look to adcomms.

My first choice is UCLA. My chances with my current stats don't look too promising (GPA is 3.76). Is it worth it to take the LSAT a fourth time, or will it hurt me more than help me, even if I achieve a 170+?

p89sean16

New

Re: Help... taking the LSAT four times?

Post by p89sean16 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:08 pm

I don't believe scoring higher will hurt you at UCLA or similar schools, maybe a 4th test will be averaged at Berkeley / Y / S, etc. Continued improvement and upward trends are definitely favored, and I think adcomms know the LSAT tests taking the LSAT, rather than any great skill. For full disclosure I am 3x taker, having gone from 159 -> 166 -> 169, and I added an addendum about how I take self improvement and my law school education seriously, and as such worked until I received a score most reflective of my abilities. All the adcomms I have spoken to mentioned it was totally okay.

If you think you can improve, go for it. Esp given the highest overall score emphasis from the ABA.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:09 pm

I know several people at T14 schools with 4+ takes. Just get there eventually and be prepared to ride a watlist or 8.

YorkshireRose

New

Post by YorkshireRose » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone else have any insight? I'm leaning towards a re-take in December, while everything is still fresh in my mind. I'm not applying to any T14 schools. I want to stay in SoCal with my partner, so I'm aiming for USC or UCLA.

p89sean16

New

Post by p89sean16 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:05 pm

YorkshireRose wrote:Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone else have any insight? I'm leaning towards a re-take in December, while everything is still fresh in my mind. I'm not applying to any T14 schools. I want to stay in SoCal with my partner, so I'm aiming for USC or UCLA.
I think you're already in decent shape at USC, probably better than a coin flip at UCLA, but a few points would shore that up and add $$. I think it may be worth applying to T14 for you even if you don't want to attend, if you improve your score, for scholarship negotiation purposes. Helps to have leverage and bargaining chips from higher ranked schools. Would suggest Cornell and GULC, and NU loves WE.
Last edited by p89sean16 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dontdoitkid

Bronze

Post by dontdoitkid » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:00 am

I'm taking it a fourth time this December as well (glad to see I'm not the only one).

Most of the consensus I've gathered is that if you've taken three times, a fourth won't hurt but can definitely help if you score higher. Don't worry about how how having four scores will look to the admission committees. Even if they would be at all slightly impacted by it, they'll be much more greatly impacted by seeing an improvement in your LSAT, since that's what they really care about.

YorkshireRose

New

Post by YorkshireRose » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Thank you very much everyone! I feel better about my retakes now. I'm all signed up for December. :D

Donashimen

Bronze

Post by Donashimen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I am contemplating taking the December LSAT as well. It will be my third time. I wasn't sure how many time we are allowed to take the LSATs. It seems that we can take it a fourth time? and it would not look bad?

LawzGurl

New

Post by LawzGurl » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Holla I got a 2.8 and 144 lsat test which school should i go to?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Donashimen wrote:Hello everyone,

I am contemplating taking the December LSAT as well. It will be my third time. I wasn't sure how many time we are allowed to take the LSATs. It seems that we can take it a fourth time? and it would not look bad?
You can only take it 3 times in a 2 year period. After that you can take it again.

thecap91

New

Post by thecap91 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:24 pm

LawzGurl wrote:Holla I got a 2.8 and 144 lsat test which school should i go to?
this is great.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:26 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:29 am

You need to retake the LSAT again.....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:39 am

You need to retake the LSAT in order to generate a significant scholarship offer from your two target schools (USC & UCLA). Also, if you increase your LSAT score, consider applying to Cornell & Michigan in order to create more negotiating leverage with your two target schools.

dontdoitkid

Bronze

Post by dontdoitkid » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:23 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
dontdoitkid wrote:I'm taking it a fourth time this December as well (glad to see I'm not the only one).

Most of the consensus I've gathered is that if you've taken three times, a fourth won't hurt but can definitely help if you score higher. Don't worry about how how having four scores will look to the admission committees. Even if they would be at all slightly impacted by it, they'll be much more greatly impacted by seeing an improvement in your LSAT, since that's what they really care about.

Another 4th time taker here, also really glad to see I am not the only one.

whoaaaa it's been a while since I've been on there. but yeah 4th time = worth it. Got me 10,000 more a year on an already good scholarship. Well into my 1L semester. Best of luck, and on the bright side I promise you will completely forget what the LSAT ever was.

DrSpaceman

Bronze

Post by DrSpaceman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:47 pm

Sweet Jesus, 4 takes. That kind of self-flagellation deserves a scholarship even if your score goes down each time.

Cubank

New

Post by Cubank » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:58 pm

dontdoitkid wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:
dontdoitkid wrote: whoaaaa it's been a while since I've been on there. but yeah 4th time = worth it. Got me 10,000 more a year on an already good scholarship. Well into my 1L semester. Best of luck, and on the bright side I promise you will completely forget what the LSAT ever was.
Do you mind explaining how the timeline worked out for you to get a scholly increase with an LSAT score while already a 1L? Would appreciate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Phoenix97

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Phoenix97 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Phoenix97 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

thecap91

New

Post by thecap91 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Phoenix97 wrote:
thecap91 wrote:
this is great.
Did you see this troll's other posts? Looks like a fake profile created by someone who is bitter about the fact he/she did not qualify for an URM boost.
Pretty pathetic.
Yeah I think it's pretty hilarious to be honest. Holla hahaha

Phoenix97

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Phoenix97 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by Phoenix97 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:24 am

I laughed past two stations on subway train. Your bumping the one-year old thread is appreciated.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”